Home General Hunting

Big Cypress Gun season

Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 71 Deckhand
hey folks, as I probably said before I drew Big Cypress Bear island for general gun. However my hunting partner for this trip had to bail to do work load. 
So I'm planning on hunting the first few days of the quota, but sans a buddy. if anyone is in need of a deer dragger, or someone to push/drive animals let me know. I'll probably be "that [email protected]#$er walking by"  :D

Replies

• wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,000 Officer
    you will have no problem making friends!

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    you going in at walk in area or by campground.    
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 71 Deckhand
    meateater said:
    you going in at walk in area or by campground.    
    I was planning on campground/ however that option was based on the assumption I'd be camping.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,677 Admiral
    I would certainly Camp.
    Turner River Road is a long dusty haul at 5 am.
    Campground will fill up fast. If it's slap full just camp near the 75 Bridge. Rangers don't like it but you can get away with it if you tell them the campground is full...or just tell them your gonna Catfish at the little creek right there all night..
    Opening morning they got more to worry about....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    edited October 2019 #6
    I would certainly Camp.
    Turner River Road is a long dusty haul at 5 am.
    Campground will fill up fast. If it's slap full just camp near the 75 Bridge. Rangers don't like it but you can get away with it if you tell them the campground is full...or just tell them your gonna Catfish at the little creek right there all night..
    Opening morning they got more to worry about....
    + Turner River Road is a Collier County road that NPS has NO jurisdiction over Unless NPS sees U come out of their territory adjacent to the road and suspects you of some bad deed. Collier county has no rules etc. that I know of against camping along side of any of their dirt roads in Big C including Birdon Rd. and Upper and Lower Wagon Wheel Roads. If one counts both sides of the county's 32 miles of roads in Big C there is around  64 miles of available legal (very dusty at times) roadside camping.
    also if anyone needs a camp cook I'm your guy. 

the old lady is all flustered with me going through the woods "alone" after the FWC caught that python. and she wonders where the kids get their sense of imagination.
    Been going/hunting in woods alone (up to 4 miles one way) for the most part for over 50 years and survived - not saying no luck involved. One just needs to constantly remind themselves that U R totally accountable for your safety and 911 will take a long time to get there if they even can. Truth be known we can get killed in many ways even in the city by the myriad accidents that can happen. Just make being careful part of the hunt plan. Possible leaving google earth map image that you have generated your projected hunt route on that can be used to locate U in an emergency. OBTW look out for WASPS - they have hurt me the most over my 50+ years in Big C - I mean bad pain to the max.
  • Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 89 Deckhand
    gladesman said:
    Been going/hunting in woods alone (up to 4 miles one way) for the most part for over 50 years and survived - not saying no luck involved. One just needs to constantly remind themselves that U R totally accountable for your safety and 911 will take a long time to get there if they even can. Truth be known we can get killed in many ways even in the city by the myriad accidents that can happen. Just make being careful part of the hunt plan. Possible leaving google earth map image that you have generated your projected hunt route on that can be used to locate U in an emergency. OBTW look out for WASPS - they have hurt me the most over my 50+ years in Big C - I mean bad pain to the max.
    I have been looking at hunting big c, besides the obvious (gators, wasps, snakes) what are some other dangers of hunting there alone to watch out for?
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    edited October 2019 #11
    Thirst, unless you have the same composition in your guts as Turner River Terror and can effectively stomach Ag runoff. If you get turned around, you could end up with a good case of the sheets and become severely dehydrated if you try dinking that swamp water.
    Baby...Drink the Dam,m Koolaid.
    Only real time I got a little jumpy was when some Clown kept Scoping me from the road edge.
    Kinda creepy to see a Panther walk by your Stand twice and it's getting dark time for the walk back to the Truck as well..
    What don't Kill you makes you Stronger...
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 114 Deckhand
    I get more bears than deer on my cams. 
    edited October 2019 #14
    Mr_Watson said:
    Yep they're there but NOT rare anymore. If one is zig zag following you or stares at U while walking to you as if on a mission  - understand it sees you as a meal or serious competitor of some sort especially if a male - they do most of the people eating which most folks don't know. Google  - Hererro on Bears -  to learn a lot from a real authority on Black Bears.  Up to you whether you respond lethally or with bear spray.
    Mr_Watson said:

Ryan91027 said:
    gladesman said:
    I have been looking at hunting big c, besides the obvious (gators, wasps, snakes) what are some other dangers of hunting there alone to watch out for?
    Technically there's  danger every step - have almost stepped on huge gators right at roadside b4 and after light - just be careful and observant to minimize it. Big C is no city park nowadays. Don't sleep on ground anymore due to pythons.
    Thanks for the tip. Going to check out Hererro. 

Don't usually worry too much except when walking in during dead of night.  
    Longbow14 said:
    hey folks, as I probably said before I drew Big Cypress Bear island for general gun. However my hunting partner for this trip had to bail to do work load. 
    So I'm planning on hunting the first few days of the quota, but sans a buddy. if anyone is in need of a deer dragger, or someone to push/drive animals let me know. I'll probably be "that [email protected]#$er walking by"  :D
    May want to consider Corn Dance (no quota) or Turner River units (no quota required after week 1) and save 23 miles of dirt road driving to a place that is well past it's prime (seen better days) from what I just heard recently.

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Longbow14 said:
    also if anyone needs a camp cook I'm your guy. 

the old lady is all flustered with me going through the woods "alone" after the FWC caught that python. and she wonders where the kids get their sense of imagination.

If you're old lady's flustered about the pythons.  Wait till she hears about the plague of mountain lions.
    I've been wondering if I can do foi request for pics from the metal enclosed, locked up, trail cams I came across with the 'property of nps' stickers on them, when I started out down there.  Should be a couple close ups with me hunchin over them scratching my head.. saying, to myself, why do they have these out here?  Man I was dumb.
    I'd be worrying most about cats and bears.  You see either, you pull your 357 and **** the hammer.  Don't wait to see what they're gonna do..
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    edited October 2019 #19
    gladesman said:
    Longbow14 said:
    May want to consider Corn Dance (no quota) or Turner River units (no quota required after week 1) and save 23 miles of dirt road driving to a place that is well past it's prime (seen better days) from what I just heard recently.

I may look into those too, thanks.

"I'd be worrying most about cats and bears.  You see either, you pull your 357 and **** the hammer.  Don't wait to see what they're gonna do.."
    Hope the .44 will do the trick lol
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    I slipped about 4 yrs ago in a cypress head, dang near impaled myself thru the throat on a cypress knee. Luckly it hit dead on the clavicle and I glanced off.  It could of ended pretty bad as I was by myself and 2 miles from the nearest road.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I shouldn't have said 'worry', but certainly be prepared.  Being out in Big C by myself (and all the boating I do by myself) was the reason I bought and now always carry this

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    edited October 2019 #23
    Watched a 25 year old in our group slip and go down shoulder blades first, feet up in the air, in SC last week at a burger joint. The four of us in the 50 and above club unanimously admitted it would have been a trip to hospital if it was any of us. You just don't bounce at 50 like you did when you were 25, and your safety priorities change over time.

I also find myself using a light more these days not just to avoid some clown shooting at me in the dark, but to illuminate tripping hazards as well.
    A 60" walking stick is nice to have!
    Yep - cypress saplings work quite well. Couple of clips with a tree lopper at each end and a few wacks with a machete to remove small limbs and it's ready to go. They can also be used as an offhand shooting rest especially with a hole drilled into the upper end to accept the sling lug below a rifle forend.
    I don't walk in during Dark anymore either.
    I'm afraid of Nothing but I've been turned around in them big swamps , Walked on too many Snakes and and I'm just not in that big of hurry.
    When I can see the ground , I'm on my way.
    I don't walk in during Dark anymore either.
    I'm afraid of Nothing but I've been turned around in them big swamps , Walked on too many Snakes and and I'm just not in that big of hurry.
    When I can see the ground , I'm on my way.
    I like this plan, plus looking at the map the more sleep I get the happier I'll be.
    Walking in the dark is no fun but knowing I'll catch any first light movement makes it worth it!
    Them deer didn,t just start walking at first light..
    When you circle your Stand twice in the dark shining a flashlight around  you.ve pretty much moved any deer close by away.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Slip hunting is a skillset I learned from a very good hunter. What a lot of people dont understand is in lots of conditions you walk past a lot of deer in the dark.