Home General Hunting

Where to live?

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Duck hunting in the phandle is a bit weak though.  That's about it, everything else is mo better.
    And a road trip to some good active places on either the atlantic or mississippi flyway isn't that far. You're right in the middle, able to go east/west as warranted.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • FishTankFishTank Posts: 76 Deckhand
    The panhandle has been on the decline for quite a few years and will continue to do so at an increasing rate. Still a great place but I’m really glad that I got to enjoy it back in the 90’s
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,296 Admiral
    The Pensacola area. Is good.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    Kinda what happened to me.
    Born and raised in Miami in the early years then off to Western Broward. Land of Orange Groves and Mini Horse Ranchettes.
    Now 8 lane Highways , Gated everything and a Bazillion Idiots.
    Bought a Camp in the Big Bend 10 years ago and closed my Company in Naples 6 Months ago.
    Moved to a new Doublewide on 10 acres at the end of the dirt road.
    Hunting out my back door , Fishing real close and life is good.
    I could set so many Folks up with cheap Rural land with all the Outdoors have to offer...but I don't want any Neighbors...none.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,649 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    If I was starting out now, and FL was my only option, I would beat feet to the panhandle area as well. I went to college in Gainesville and I wouldn't even slow down or stop to see old Bull Gator as I was on my NorthWesterly course.

I've traveled all over the world and always called FL my home. I'm a South Florida native living in northern Palm Beach, in what iused to be a semi rural, equestrian area with world class entertainment and amenities.... a convenient 20-30 minutes away. Today, there are multiple, freedom stripping, gated communities developing around me at a pace I didn't think possible. The traffic is getting worse. The stop lights are popping up everywhere. Everything just got busy overnight and the problems associated with bigger cities and higher population densities are already looming on the horizon, if not knocking on my door. I'm not happy with it. It  ran me out of Pompano years ago. I'm hoping to get another 10 years outta this place, then I'm gone. 

It's unfortunate because I have great airboating, decent public hunting, and pretty good fishing opportunities within easy striking distances, but each activity is becoming too crowded, and I'm enjoying them on borrowed time.

My advice would be to really think long term... What you want, and will it still be there long enough to enjoy it to your life's fullest. Chances are it will not, but if you only look ten years down the road, you'll be lucky to get 5. Factor in not just the short term pursuits like hell raising, but also think about family, jobs, growth, education opportunities for kids, recreational opportunities, long term residential plans for the area, etc. Simply put, i think the panhandle would be hard to beat in this day and age.... IMHO

There wasn't a single house or paved road in your 18 sq mile neighborhood called the Acreage when we moved to the edge of it in 1979. Drug planes landing on the roads were more common than cars.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,363 Captain
    I know, when I bought my first house 30 years ago out by you, my current house wasn't even in a builders dream yet.
    The best part of the Panhandle is it isn't Central or South Florida. There and LA (Lower Alabama) is where you going to find all us old Crackers from down South taking up roots.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,296 Admiral
    S GA too. We got out when Disney World opened.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    The panhandle if full. Richland Ga still has space for new people.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    If you don't want to have to worry about which pronoun to use (although there are only two genders and a lot of mental issues), stay out of Pinellas county and St Pete specifically. If yoy like living in the South, stay away from anything South of Ocala. There are pockets here and there but in general the Ohio trash have ruined this state. I'd live in the panhandle, Panama City and east. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 817 Officer
    Hahaha , man there are some guys on here that really hate ohio. I’ll start paying more attention, see if I can figure out why they are the scum of the earth. We just always said people from Jersey were the scum of the earth. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,161 Captain
    I have nothing against Ohioans per se. But of those people that complain to the point of being annoying about how backwards Florida is and needs to change to be like where they come from, I have found that those people do in fact come from Ohio. No joke. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,756 Captain
    Northern California has a string of National Forests

northern Florida has a string of undeveloped lands- and what you see is not what you will get......Development , Projected Growth accommodation

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain

If you locate a little East of Tally, you might have the "Expressway to No Where" bringing noise and folks by you, before the road stops at the Georgia line. So keep that in mind when you're searching for your little piece of heaven. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,509 AG
    I'm in Taylor County , Panhandle Backwoods.
    Hunting is everywhere , Coastal fishing is Rocking.
    Plenty of 20 year olds...wearin Daisy Dukes with a 90 inch waist , Stupid Tattoos , Belly hanging over their little T shirts and Flip flops.
    Jobs are low pay , Saturday night Sport is getting drunk and ridin the Woods Roads..maybe a good fight and every now and then a minor Gun Battle.
    I'm retired and live in The Bush so it's comical to me.
    If I was your age I'd be in Talla or Panama Beach.
    Boy I never thought being raised in far South Florida that I'd have all this Hunting and Fishing...Life is good , Poo ,tang and making money are no longer my priorities.
    This is all a lie.Nothing to see here, please move along. Nothing but trailers and methheads and hos. ;)  And while that is all true, Broward County would be his go to at that age. Plenty of time to move later on. We don't need more barefoot, pregnant mama babies running around these parts. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Trailers ,methheads , and ho’s!!!Better keep a lid on that or your slice of heaven’s gonna get overrun. 
    Hello , Florida Leaque Against Progress here.

FLAP has researched carefully and announces that there is no reason to move to Florida.
    Soon  FLAP  will issue Official Pass To Leave Florida 
    Upcoming News Releases will touch on Living With Roaches In Florida, “ No Go Zones”, Tax and Spend Growth promoter conservative Red Counties, Projected Growth Forecast and something about an obscure Agency ( FWCC) outlook on the future.
    😎
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    Tax and Spend Growth promoter conservative Red Counties,
    You mean the ones like Alachua, Orange, Palm Beach, Dade, etc?

You must be color blind. LOL
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    On that Welcome To Florida pamphlet they should have a picture of a big ole Palmetto Roach and a Cottonmouth...Maybe Gators eating pet dogs on the back cover.
    That pretty Boating picture should be a couple in Kayaks after surviving the 10 K No See Ums for a night..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Bumper to bumper traffic on the interstate, cars covered in love bug guts, toxic algae blooms, man dies after tragic patio furniture accident. 
    edited October 2019 #53
    FloridaOD said:
    Tax and Spend Growth promoter conservative Red Counties,
    You mean the ones like Alachua, Orange, Palm Beach, Dade, etc?

You must be color blind. LOL
    You must be LOL blind
    Clay, St Johns.......
    Alachua profiled in this months Florida Trend magazine in a certain way...... loves the 250 acre new development on the border of 7000 acre preserve
    On the other hand..... that certain perfect development balance..... rename new development Walker Dogged.
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Not really that interested in what an article has to say. Open your eyes though and maybe you will see for yourself that it’s the blue counties that suffer most from the plague you fear most. 

Your characterization of the counties where growth has long been rampant is laughably bass ackward.

edited October 2019 #55
    What a State! 
    Chamber Of Commerce State
    So many “ Hunters” involved with “ Construction”.

Chamber of Commerce Executive ends up face down in the Tamiami Canal- throat stuffed with plastic Alligator.
    Shucks, this place might have promise after all!.......
    Oh....... skip that, simply recalling a Carl Hiassen Book 

In Real Life, I was mentioned, by name, in Carl’s book Kick ***
    A compilation of Carl’s “ Hardest Hitting Editorials”
    The piece “ Jacksonville’s Millionth Mania”..... The “ City” thrilled with millionth Citizen Population..... even though “ Jacksonville” had to draw on surrounding county population to claim million teeming souls.
    That was years ago and just one hint to unfolding NE Florida growth impacts per what was experienced in South Florida earlier.
    Read Carl’s Editorial and find out if I was/ was not an NRA member, and other sordid ridiculous references to outdoor pursuits.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,731 AG
    Pinman said:
    If I had to live in South Florida it would be Sebastian.
    It's terrible....you'd hate it...................
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR said:
    Pinman said:
    If I had to live in South Florida it would be Sebastian.
    It's terrible....you'd hate it...................

A small drinking town with a fishing problem.....
    spangler said:
    This thread has now officially contributed to the certain decline of the panhandle. Like posting fishing spots. Watch the crowds flock. In 10 years it's gonna look like Miami/Tampa/Orlando. Better to move to alabama or georgia..
    Think of it like this. People who love the outdoors are not the problem in Florida. I welcome anyone up here that wants to move here and preserve the woods like I do. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,363 Captain
    Got anything for sale up there BF?
    Always. One needs but look. 
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 163 Deckhand
    If you want to make any money stay close to Tampa (surrounding area) or Jax. you’ll need a 4 yr nursing degree. Or start your own electrical business if you go that way. Medical field will allow you to live in a more remote area and make a decent living.

Pensacola is nice, it’s surprisingly up and coming town. Great food and a nice night life from what I’ve seen. 

I lived in Ft Lauderdale now west palm beach. Soon to move to panhandle or SC. You won’t believe the decline in fishing quality over the last 10 years on the treasure coast. Between pollution and volume of people the environment really doesn’t stand a chance. 

Pick a career and go where you get paid or can make the most. Money may not buy happiness but it’ll buy better access to hunting and fishing.