Home General Hunting

Chass clarifcation

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 265 Deckhand
in my research for this seasons hunting, I came across chass, I saw there is  A,B,C areas and in  B is says deer and hog dog vs I think its C says still hunt and  hog dog, could I in theory still hunt B as well or can  I only hunt it with dogs? also  how's the hog pop there?

Replies

• HuckHuck Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I have a Chass hog quota as well. Anyone with some info would be great. I have heard Chass is not the easiest place to hunt by a couple locals from NPR. 
    Appreciate it 
    Huck
    DON’T SING IT, BRING IT!
  • Grove1Grove1 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    You can still hunt in A, B, or C during general gun season. The limitation is where you can run deer dogs, not where you can still hunt.

The hog hunt is a hog-dog hunt. So most people will be running dogs during this hunt. I am not an expert on the rules but I think you can "still hunt" during hog-dog hunt, but just don't be upset when you have dogs running around. Believe it or not, I have seen people get upset at dog hunters during a specified hog-dog hunt because dogs ran through where someone was still hunting. Please be kind to the hog-dog hunters, they don't get a lot of spots to run their hog dogs on public land anymore. Even better, if you know someone with hog-dogs, take them. If you have never been on a hog dog hunt and see what the dogs can do, you will love it. 

In the archery season there so far this year, there have been 400 hunter days (attempts). They killed a total of 0 deer and 1 hog out of 400 attempts. That is a success rate of .25% if my math skills are correct. Last year in general gun, they had about 3400 hunter attempts and killed 13 deer and about 20 hogs, you can do the math and figure out your chances. Good luck.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Good info Grove. It's still nice to know that many manhours were expended in the pursuit and enjoyment of hunting. It's not just the killing. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • HuckHuck Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Appreciate the info grove, sounds like I was given correct info LOL. Think I’ll stick to my other spots and up the odds in Chas’s for ya’ll. Although I do love watching the dogs workem. 
    Regards
    Huck
    DON’T SING IT, BRING IT!
  • hunter1005hunter1005 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Chass is basically exercise for dogs more than anything.  
  • hunter1005hunter1005 Posts: 92 Greenhorn