Home General Freshwater Fishing

Accuracy counts?

MajorTomMajorTom MelbournePosts: 2 Greenhorn

Interesting title for a thread, huh? 

But there's a reason for this, which is open discussion and debate about getting less missed hookups, more strikes and harder fights. One of the things I've seen a lot of here in Florida in both salt and fresh water is my lures flying in the air or the fish making so many repeated attempts then just toss their fins up in disgust and go elsewhere. Let's face it folks it happens to every one of us and I for one get tired of it. Some fish just can't seem to zero in. It's common really. Yes, I think I read it somewhere that more often than not, fish commonly miss their intended victims on the first try. Could it be that fish need a qualified "Marine Optometrist"? 😉Or maybe they just need a little help zeroing in, much like some folks need cross hairs when target shooting. Either way somebody needs to do something about this, dad gummit! Well I found something that works for me in my neck of the woods. 

I think I got the idea from some micro crank bait builder website. Sure I bought one of they're "all glowing" baits and never once had a strike. Quite possibly because it just gave em all a fright or the willys. I've read of a few success stories of fellow anglers in the cold waters of the northern latitudes who actually fully coated their spoons and sealing em up. They swear by it. Spoons don't work so well (for me anyway) where I frequent. Crank baits however get hammered. Plastic worms too, but I'm more of a crank bait & topwater guy. While I did try full coat glows, nobody was interested as I guessed they wouldn't be since Florida freshwater species never see glowing bait. So I tried something a bit less drastic by simply buying a 1/2 Oz bottle of solvent based glow stuff from glowinc.com. Basically it's nail polish with extremely long lasting glow powder. Just a dab here, a dot there. No sealant or top coat and it stays on and on. I didn't want to add even a thin layer epoxy sealant because I was already adding weight enough that I didn't want to upset lure balance and behavior too much. The material will glow for at least 10 hours. 

Doesn't seem to be effective in attracting or getting more hits at night. But I've noticed a drastically improved rate of hook ups. During the day, I've not missed a fish that struck. Always a hookup, harder hits and fights. One of the most productive places I use them is deep backwoods creeks where the lures will pass through sun (charging the glow) and then shade. I've nailed just about (not all) every species you can find in these places whereas before, not so much. In some of the smaller creeks I've pulled out 3lb bass and nobody would believe it until I had my adventures recorded. Even the local wildlife biologist and game warden said it couldn't done there..... Until they saw the recording. 

The big question open for discussion is "Does this little bit of glow attract fish or does it better serve as a bullseye for em to focus in on?" My mind seems to think it's a bullseye. I've included a small token image of some of the lures. Note, the camera makes it look like they're nuclear bright. They're not as bright as they appear here. 

Feel free to discuss, toss your 2c worth or what you do to improve things. 

Replies

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    edited March 22 #2
    MajorTom said:

The big question open for discussion is "Does this little bit of glow attract fish or does it better serve as a bullseye for em to focus in on?" My mind seems to think it's a bullseye. 

Feel free to discuss, toss your 2c worth or what you do to improve things.

***I am sure that posting more than a few words or 2 sentences will draw out the word challenged people to launch personal attacks for using too many words. Basically I am sick and tired of the personal attacks for the simple act of sharing information on an information word forum- unregulated too- where such people are allowed to attack without accountability, but here goes anyway... my 2c worth...

From my own experience I'd say no it does not really help and the fish could not care less.

Part of the reason is we humans make the first mistake in believing fish see the same as we do. We seem to rationalize that what we see up here out of the water is the same thing they will see in the water, and this simply does not hold water.

One reason I say no is because a lot of the water we fish in is stained and mixed up with lots of solid particulate matter all of which blocks light transmission.

Some of the waters I fish in I  can not see my hand 6 inches under the surface of the water at high noon and brightest sunlight. My hand disappears from my view at 6 inches. So how in the heck is a fish suppose to see some tiny little dot of glow paint on a lure that puts out no where near the amount of light the sun can?

Truth is they can't. Now, maybe in clear water they can, but then in clear water they should be able to see the lures just fine without the tiny glow dots.

And I would like to add that the variety of lures we see today are sold to fishermen, not the fish.

A perfect example was done years ago by the Eminence speaker company who put out a line of guitar speakers made especially for musicians who are lucky if they can change a light bulb successfully and if they replace a fuse and it actually works will think they are geniuses and you never hear the end of it.

So what Eminence did was kind of a marketing joke on the genius guitarists of this world when they put out a line of speakers for guitar cabinets that were all identical in every detail right down to the frames, magnet structures, paper fibers used in the cones, dust covers, every detail was precisely identical. The only difference Eminence offered was in color of the speaker. They produced green, yellow, red, blue, black and maybe a few other colors.

Speaker specs were identical across the board.

And it was endlessly hilarious to those of us who spent our lives in technical engineering fields to read on discussion forums how the blue sounded better than the red and had more high frequency response than the green speaker which had more low's.

Seriously, genius guitarists endlessly debated which color speaker sounded better to them. With not one shred of a clue they were fast becoming the joke.

All it was, was a genius marketing ploy of Eminence and the genius guitarists fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Pun intended. Eminence never did reveal which color speaker sold the best and which one did not. And, today they have stopped marketing the color variety I think simply due to production costs and have returned to old school black color only.

And we see something very similar in the fishing tackle and lure business today.

I remember reading on one forum some guy wanted to buy a blue reel to match his blue rod and find some blue line to make it all look so pretty.

It did not matter if the blue reel was a good one or not, it just had to be blue. And this is sadly where we have come today and lures are no different.

The variety we see today are not marketed to the fish. They are marketed to the fisherman and how easily he can deceive himself into believing this or that and then spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on it which is precisely what the industry is counting on.

Just recently I watched my favorite pro bass fisherman- not going to mention any names- produce a sales video for a fishing line he was marketing. It was grey braid in color and he actually sat on camera and told the audience that when this line is floating up on the surface that because it is gray in color that it will blend in with the sky background and the fish won't see it and that will increase fish strikes and improve the catch if only fishermen would run out and buy this line!

Never mind that no matter what color the braid is, if a fish does look up, all colors will appear black shadowed against the bright background and should not be able to determine line color in water. The claim was absurd, but the tackle industry is not about truth. It is all about sales and what they can make us believe will work. And remember, we all KNOW it is not lures that catch fish, it is CONFIDENCE! Why confidence catches fish every day out there!

Put some confidence on that hook and watch the fish jump on it!

I get a kick out of messing with my fishing buddies who spend years listening to the experts and then going out and doing what they tell them to do to bass fish. Like on this day you gotta use purple blah, blah, blah... and so what do I do? I throw on white and sometimes kick their learned butts with whatever I choose irregardless of what the pro's and experts claim.

So my point to this wordy response is I don't think one tiny little dot of glow paint is really going to make any difference at all, except maybe at night in extremely clear water. Environmental conditions have to favor the low light it puts out and for a limited amount of time as its energy dissipates and it grows ever dimmer until recharged which takes up fishing time in my opinion.

Fish don't really need sight to locate prey. They use other senses and often rely on vibrations, sound, and scent to locate prey when they simply can not see anything more than a few inches in front of them.

Any way, I hope my point is well taken for this subject. I am not trying to poke fun at the OP here, but us fishermen in general as I actually work in the tackle industry today and see this behavior and thought process on a regular basis these days- sometimes daily- even with my own fishing buddies.

I too have tried to use glowing lures to catch fish and have found it to be just about totally useless- and I used glowing lures- the entire lure- that can emit far more light energy over a longer period of time than one small paint dot.

But hey, if it gives you more confidence then go for it! After all confidence is the number one fish catcher!

Sigh... I know what is coming...

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Given that Dade County closed public boat ramps as well as Flamingo, the longer the posts the better! Gives us somerthing to read while we wait this out. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 386 Deckhand
    30 years ago I was doing a lot of Salmon fishing in the Pacific Northwest and like anyone else, I read, listened and watched to try and improve my success rate.  At the time a video was produced that showed a trolled lure behind a boat and the fish that attacked it.  I would imagine that video is still out there, but don't remember the name of it.

It showed Salmon charging the lure and missing it.....over and over.  I'd shake my head, wondering how those fish managed to get themselves fed, they were so inept.  Not just one or 2 either.....it was one after another.  Are Florida fish any different ??
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 386 Deckhand
    troutbom said:
    Given that Dade County closed public boat ramps as well as Flamingo, the longer the posts the better! Gives us somerthing to read while we wait this out. 
    I guess I'm missing something here.  While my personal opinion is that this whole virus thing is hyped beyond reason by the media, I still do my part to be aware and proactive in avoiding contact with others, etc., etc.

Sooo.....I've launched boats 100s, if not 1,000s of times and have spent endless numbers of days on the water.  At no time that comes to mind did I come in contact with others.  On the water ??  How would you manage it ??  At the launch ramp ??  No, seems to me everyone does their own thing.

So why are these "learned" politicians closing down the launch ramps ??  What do they realistically hope to gain ??  Open the bloody ramps, idiots, and let the guys go fishing.  Common sense, it is.
  • CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    edited March 23 #6
    One example would not be fishermen who stay in their boats and intentionally stay far away from others, but in Lake Maitland we have an island called Dog Island. It is a place where the recreational boaters land their boats and party. Sometimes there are 50 people on that small island socializing.

Maybe some ramps are closed because recreational boaters behave like spring break kids do and have?

Another Florida example of this would be recreational boaters gathering in the spring runs. This is the problem and reason some ramps may close. Not because of fishermen, but the recreational boaters:

Don't mean divert OP discussion away from thread topic. 

As for those salmon missing the lures I have to wonder if fish are able to process and adjust to moving targets as well as stationary prey? Some species do very well while others like salmon do not.

I would not break it up by state, but more so by species
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,005 Officer
    edited March 26 #7
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 42 Deckhand
    More details on brand/etc of nail polish? I don't need to make my lures glow, but a few front sights could use some treatment as could some rod tips for night fishing....

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 909 Officer
    ivn said:
    More details on brand/etc of nail polish? I don't need to make my lures glow, but a few front sights could use some treatment as could some rod tips for night fishing....

You can go to wal mart and pick up glow in dark nail polish, or even stickers that glow. I cant give my 2 cents on using it down here but most of my life growing up was spent on vertical jigging for lake trout in 60-200 feet of water. My absolute favorite jig in the world is a 3/4 oz jig with both sides having a strip of glowing sticker on it called the rattle snakie.  Mind you it also has rattles inside the jig so I cant necessarily say it's because of the glow but I've caught probably 3-1 over the years with this jig versus all others combined. Like I said though I'm fishing 60+ feet always right on the bottom so theres no telling quite what it looks like down there but my guess is vibration gets there attention bit the glow let's them see the actual lure. Of course theres lots of other variables like calm waters allow less light transmission versus waters with a bit of a chop to it and clarity of the water itself. Never really paid much attention to hit and miss rate I guess but would think its alot higher success with this jig. Oddly enough this particular jig is a small based company from texas that advertises this thing as a bass lure. I've caught smallmouth on it in summer time in 100 fow before but that was just pure luck I believe. I think your onto something major Tom one things for sure that little bit of glow wont deter them.