Home General Hunting

Is Bullfrog right? am i Screwed??

2»

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain

lookin said:
    How was the hunt spangler?

Best hunt to date! Hands down.  Had an absolute blast and saw more wildlife than ever.  Hate to say it.. but may have converted me to pro quota  :# Detailed report coming.

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    I can't say I have ever Been in lifeless  woods.  I sat and watched two red tail hawks f or f right into the water if they were mating dam she liked it rough. 
    Watched cub, kitties play, bears freeze, owes come right to me, squirrels hang down at the brim of my hat and say huuum. I have watched deer roll in a scrap like a dog in the grass. There is always some thing. He'll I have even watched red fish swim by while sitting in a salt marsh.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,649 Captain
    edited October 2019 #34
    I went Dove hunting a WMA this afternoon and a dang good buck jumped up 30 yds away right after my friend shot . Of course when I was Deer hunting I saw hundreds of Dove and few Deer....
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,363 Captain
    Pinman said:
    I went Dove hunting a WMA this afternoon and a dang good buck jumped up 30 yds away right after my friend shot . Of course when I was Deer hunting I saw hundreds of Dove and few Deer....
    I happen to be looking for a dove hunt. Where was this? :wink:
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    spangler said:

lookin said:
    How was the hunt spangler?

Best hunt to date! Hands down.  Had an absolute blast and saw more wildlife than ever.  Hate to say it.. but may have converted me to pro quota  :# Detailed report coming.

Good deal, lookin forward to the report.  
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,649 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:

It was a bust except for my friend seeing 2 Gobblers at 15 yds and the buck I saw.  We shot a couple birds.
    Pinman said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:

It was a bust except for my friend seeing 2 Gobblers at 15 yds and the buck I saw.  We shot a couple birds.
    Ahem... I'm not really interested in the doves.... I think I know where you were though.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,984 Captain
    Pinman said:
    Did you at least get a deer?
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,509 AG
    I've always meant to check those hunting apps/and barometer by actual anecdotal evidence but never got around to it.  My dad always told me to go by a cow pasture and check them out to see what they were doing. If they were up and feeding, the fish were biting and game was up and moving. If they were laying their fat arrses down, nothing going on. One of these days I'm going to go check that out. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Nav - my dad said same thing. We observed the cows laying down and kept on driving to our hunting spot. He'd say they might get up any minute, and laugh. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,161 Captain
    I have tried to correlate deer movement and cow movement but it always seemed like cows are more on a fixed schedule than deer. I’ve often seen the bed down and get up at the same times several days in a row. 
    I’ve found that I’ve never harvested an animal except when hunting. 

If if you can’t get an animal or a chance at harvesting an animal each time you go hunting, the problem is you. The animals are still out there.....
    Different tactics for different times and different places.... Problem solved?
    Big Mak said:
    Different tactics for different times and different places.... Problem solved?
    Must hunt from a tree stand. Even if there are no trees, that’s how they do it on tv.....
    As I said earlier, I know one guy who can find a way to pull a 8 point buck out of a sink in the bathroom of a carwash in downtown Miami, regardless of conditions. You all know him as Down4dacount around these parts, and I suspect he could make a dump truck full of cash if he wrote a how to book on FL deer hunting, put on seminars, or took up guiding as a profession. 

I would hate to see how bad he would embarrass some of the big named TV hosts given their same resources on their own farms. Simply put, that  boy can hunt.

Big Mak said:
    As I said earlier, I know one guy who can find a way to pull a 8 point buck out of a sink in the bathroom of a carwash in downtown Miami, regardless of conditions. You all know him as Down4dacount around these parts, and I suspect he could make a dump truck full of cash if he wrote a how to book on FL deer hunting, put on seminars, or took up guiding as a profession. 

I would hate to see how bad he would embarrass some of the big named TV hosts given their same resources on their own farms. Simply put, that  boy can hunt.

I hope he doesn’t start teaching or writing. 
    edited October 2019 #48
    H20dad said:

If if you can’t get an animal or a chance at harvesting an animal each time you go hunting, the problem is you. The animals are still out there.....
    I agree with the first part but respectfully disagree with the second. 

Sure, if you have the will, the patience, and the time, you’re only helping your chances by hunting every free chance you get. When I was a young hunter and young man with no obligations I could do that. 

But as for getting a harvest opportunity every time you go, that just isn’t how it works. Not even animal predators or human hunter/gatherers have that kind of success. Its a fact that many prey animals go thru long periods of inactivity during the day or night and if they aren’t moving, you can’t make them. Your only options to harvest an inactive animal is to drive them (dog hunting for instance) or to try to stalk them in their beds. The former is very realistic, the latter is not. 

Only turkeys are so robotic that they can generally be killed on command. But that has a lot to do with the fact they’re slaves to daylight like we are. They can’t lay up all day like a deer can. 

As much as I rail against poachers, there is an aspect of their thinking I like. I like the notion of getting the most amount of meat with the least amount of effort or cost. 

Thus that’s how I approach hunting. I enjoy hunting, but its not the emotional and spiritual exercise for me that it is for some people. I don’t really care about watching a bug on a leaf by my stand take a poop and I don’t get a fulfilling spiritual communion with nature from seeing the same. 

I “live” in the woods because I need to on an emotional level. But I “hunt” to get meat. But for getting meat, hunting doesn’t interest me. I kill nothing for enjoyment anymore.   
    H20dad said:

Sure, if you have the will, the patience, and the time, you’re only helping your chances by hunting every free chance you get. When I was a young hunter and young man with no obligations I could do that. 

But as for getting a harvest opportunity every time you go, that just isn’t how it works. Not even animal predators or human hunter/gatherers have that kind of success. Its a fact that many prey animals go thru long periods of inactivity during the day or night and if they aren’t moving, you can’t make them. Your only options to harvest an inactive animal is to drive them (dog hunting for instance) or to try to stalk them in their beds. The former is very realistic, the latter is not. 

Only turkeys are so robotic that they can generally be killed on command. But that has a lot to do with the fact they’re slaves to daylight like we are. They can’t lay up all day like a deer can. 

As much as I rail against poachers, there is an aspect of their thinking I like. I like the notion of getting the most amount of meat with the least amount of effort or cost. 

Thus that’s how I approach hunting. I enjoy hunting, but its not the emotional and spiritual exercise for me that it is for some people. I don’t really care about watching a bug on a leaf by my stand take a poop and I don’t get a fulfilling spiritual communion with nature from seeing the same. 

I “live” in the woods because I need to on an emotional level. But I “hunt” to get meat. But for getting meat, hunting doesn’t interest me. I kill nothing for enjoyment anymore.   
    I hope everybody listens to you and believes you. 

Also, going faster than 35 mph leads to instant death. Everybody knew this as fact in the early 20th century. 
    edited October 2019 #50
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:

Also, going faster than 35 mph leads to instant death. Everybody knew this as fact in the early 20th century. 
    If I’m so wrong and you hope I mislead your competition in the woods, why draw attention to it and announce just that?
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:

If I’m so wrong and you hope I mislead your competition in the woods, why draw attention to it and announce just that?
    Duality without guilt.