Home General Hunting

Is Bullfrog right? am i Screwed??

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
So my long anticipated quota hunt starts this weekend.  I took off mon and tues so I can hunt all four days.  Rented myself a cabin at a close by fish camp.  Place is crawling with deer and turkey.  Found one of the nicest rubs I've found to date there, several weeks ago.  It's where I found a beautiful shed.  I love this place and I've been SUPER stoked!!!
But is BullFrog right?  Am I doomed???

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.

Replies

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    Don't know where you are hunting, but if it's in Florida I would be glad to see the cooler tempstures
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 960 Officer
    Looks like primetime temperatures for me to be bowhunting. Cant be a Florida forecast. Best part about temps like that is very few skeeters or any big for that matter
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    edited September 2019 #4
    Ooopps.. that's weird.  Maybe I keyed in the zipcode wrong lol  You got me by mentioning the temp.  I thought.. it aint gettin down to 49!
    And maybe I'm not screwed!  I was referring to barometric
    Here's the actual forecast.  Phew..

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    I wouldn't get all wrapped up about barometric pressure, you can't do nothing about it. You are on a quota hunt and can't pick your days. You have done your scouting, take the information you have and use it. Spend as much time as you can in the tree and good luck. Good luck was explained to me by pretty good fishing guide. " Luck ain't nothin but opportunity  meeting preparation"
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,161 Captain
    edited September 2019 #6
    You got to hunt when you can. 

I use the barometer to determine whether I want to hunt on those days I can pick and choose what to do. If there’s better things I can do with my time than stare at empty woods, I will do those things instead of hunting when the barometer or moon is wrong. 

The barometer looks good to me for your hunt. The movement threshold is around 29.90ish. The forecast you have is well above that for your hunt. 
    I've killed a pile of deer and caught a lot of fish, never owned or looked at a barometer. It ain't gonna happen if you aren't in the woods are on the water.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    It has been my observation that I agree far more often than I disagree with Florida Bullfrog's observations about Florida wildlife, and when we don't see eye-to-eye it's usually minor in nature. It's very evident that he comes from a background of observant Florida woodsmen. My opinion anyway!
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    North winds blowing in later this weekend will trump the pressure reading, in my humble opinion.

I'll be on a quota hunt tonight and Sunday mornin trying to get some meat with the bow.

Good luck Spangler!
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
    A lot of things will trump the pressure, first light, last light, prime food source ( eg persimmons), a hot doe and if on public land other hunters bumping deer around. Go enjoy your sits, every day you hunt will make a better hunter. Some days you learn what to do, some days what not to do. Good Luck.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    I'm not hunting this weekend but mainly because of Winds..Light and Variable and 95 Deg. Highs...But I can hunt anytime I want cause it's right out the back door ad I'm retired.
    If I was on a special Quota Hunt...I'd hunt.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    lookin said:
    North winds blowing in later this weekend will trump the pressure reading, in my humble opinion.

I'll be on a quota hunt tonight and Sunday mornin trying to get some meat with the bow.

Good luck Spangler!
    Singling out one criteria from interrelated criteria is tricky. Its hard to tell whether the chicken or the egg comes first because such as in this case.... the north wind almost always heralds high pressure and visa versa.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    just stay home, my cousins shot them last night anyway.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 960 Officer
    It has been my observation that I agree far more often than I disagree with Florida Bullfrog's observations about Florida wildlife, and when we don't see eye-to-eye it's usually minor in nature. It's very evident that he comes from a background of observant Florida woodsmen. My opinion anyway!
    Yep been here short while and found you cant go wrong agreeing with florida bullfrog. Even if you dont have a clue about situation agreeing makes you seem smarter 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,984 Captain
    spangler said:
    Oh don't worry guys. I'm getting out there regardless.  I'll be hunting all day, every day of the quota.  Hard.  I'm making this **** happen! 

Scout and hunt more. Post less. 
    H20dad said:
    spangler said:
    Oh don't worry guys. I'm getting out there regardless.  I'll be hunting all day, every day of the quota.  Hard.  I'm making this **** happen! 

Scout and hunt more. Post less. 
    Says the guy with 7 more posts than him. LOL
    And two more deer and 6 more gators......
    Body count isn’t necessarily a demonstration of more effort or more skill. Could just as easily be a demonstration of being less selective. Not saying either is the case with you. Just that bragging on numbers doesn’t mean much of anything. 

According to many of his posts here, Spangler has spent quite a bit of time scouting and some hunting as well. I don’t think he’s enjoyed much success yet, if kills are the only measure. For most though, they are just one measure and not always the most important one. 
    I agree. If I was a better hunter I’d be at 4 or 5 deer already. Based upon chances. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    edited October 2019 #21
    Is that all?!?!

Based just on chances, my season could have been over after the first week! LOL

Not nearly as enjoyable if your only motivation is to be the first one tagged out though.
    Is that all?!?!

Based just on chances, my season could have been over after the first week! LOL

Not nearly as enjoyable if you’re only motivation is to be the first one tagged out though.
    Come hunt where I hunt. Lol
    zimmy4209 said:
    Yep been here short while and found you cant go wrong agreeing with florida bullfrog. Even if you dont have a clue about situation agreeing makes you seem smarter 
    I don’t assert that I know I’m 100% right when I hypothesize about deer movement factors. All I’m doing is sharing what I suspect to be true, and a person can take it or leave it. Much of what I think I’ve learned about making predictions as to when are deer are likely to move is based on information people shared with me, so I don’t hold on to it stingily. I also know that solunar theory is rejected by many biologists, thus I don’t think most people will pay it much mind when they read about someone swearing by it. Those that have an open mind and an experimental personality can try it and those that don’t for whatever reason can just live without it. 

Now what I am stingy with is info on how to beat a deer’s nose. I am convinced I can, and I believe it much more strongly than I do solunar theory. I’m 75% sure deer movements can be reasonably predicted thru studying weather and lunar patterns. I’m 99.9% sure I can fix it so they can’t smell me. My scent control technique something I’m strongly considering sharing on my Youtube channel. There’s no money to be made from it, and I suspect I’m not the only person in the world that knows how to do it. I just don’t want to spill it then some hunting celeb yahoo act like it was his idea and get the credit for it. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,649 Captain
    Come on Walker Dog, quit raining on the superiority complex please.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    How was the hunt spangler?

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
     For all
    Ok you going to where they live, they live there every day.  They have no place else to go.  Rain, cold it doesn't matter they still have to eat drink and do  what must be done. Stop thinking like a man. By the way you can't harvest a deer from the couch. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 747 Officer
    ^True, but they can and often do all of that at night. Thinking like a human will allow you to solve the puzzle. Where will they move during daylight? What conditions will make them do so in a given location? What conditions tip the scale in my favor? 
    That woodland animals have definable movement and rest periods is pretty much a given. Whether we’ll ever figure out what makes most of the deer, squirrel, and other animals all get up and move in tangent with each over spread out over a several mile area, remains to be seen. 

I find that the older I am the less patience I have for staring at lifeless woods. Nor is my time as free as it used to be. Thus I try to figure out how to make my time in the woods most likely to yield game sightings. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    To be a Successful Hunter you best be a Naturalist to a degree.
    Always question WHY , Why are the Deer over here , Why are the Hogs in this certain area.
    I study Everything. So much of Hunting is exploring the woods.
    The Kill is the final result of all your questions and answers.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Exploring and understanding (or trying to) is the appeal.
    If you enjoy that part of it, you'll be good at it.  The kills will come.
    Those who scour the Internet on Friday before headin gout to public areas on Saturday, maybe not so much.
    Or those in private leases with $$$$$$$$ and someone to take them "shooting" not "hunting."
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.