Home General Hunting

Poaching going on near me

FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,221 Officer
edited September 2019 in General Hunting #1
I was in my stand at about 5 AM and at around 5:45-50 AM someone down the road from me fired two shots from a small caliber rifle. It was well before shooting hours, not to mention its archery season. FWC already had gotten two calls and they were investigating. Unfortunatley there isnt much they can do without a lead because everyone that hunts around me (which is minimal) hunts from their back or front yards. Yall ever had to worry about anything like that? Is there anything I can do? I know FWC can only do so much with such a case. 
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,929 Captain
    Par for the course in your neck of the woods. Keep calling it in and maybe they will get them eventually. 
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,221 Officer
    Reel Teal said:
    Par for the course in your neck of the woods. Keep calling it in and maybe they will get them eventually. 
    I think I know exactly where it was too. I have two possible spots and Im thinking about helping FWC because I have a couple contacts, maybe I could throw my hand into there.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Be careful....you don't want anything you own burned down.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    How do you know they were poaching? Because you heard a couple gun shots? 
    bicyclist said:
    Be careful....you don't want anything you own burned down.
    They dont know where I live. Im probably gonna play it smart.
    How do you know they were poaching? Because you heard a couple gun shots? 
    Its not the first time its happened and who is shooting rifles that early in the morning? I understand this America land of the free but come on now!
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    when i lived in loxahatchee 25 years ago we had gunshots 24/7      sometimes it was me     hogs ,raccoons, possums,ect    nice place till white people from broward started moving in.
    meateater said:
    when i lived in loxahatchee 25 years ago we had gunshots 24/7      sometimes it was me     hogs ,raccoons, possums,ect    nice place till white people from broward started moving in.
    There goes the neighborhood!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,472 AG
    My dad shot an armadillo a few times the other morning at 6a in his front yard under the security light. He wasn't poaching deer.

Were the shots you heard shooting at deer? Maybe, but you are not 100% sure that they were.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Having poaching going on around your hunting location or home is no good. Usually those type of people are grown adults who just dont care about anyone.

Personally, I dont see how these poachers can get away with it year over year.

I know if I was a poacher I would get busted on my first or second attempt. 

Like the poster above, I guess the best thing to do is keep calling FWC.
    I've done plenty of shooting in a low light condition simply to be ready to shoot at those times. Claiming someone is poaching is a serious thing to claim if you are not 100% they are. Plus it does no good on the WWW and only gives good hunters a bad rap..... to each their own my .02
    Micci, youd shoot an armadillo with a .22 or .17 this caliber could be heard from hundreds and hundreds of yards away through trees. It was much larger then that and there were two shots. They were also rifle shots and not pistol shots. 

Binell, its archery season, no guns. period. There also isnt any hogs in this area and its not frequented enough by coyotes. FWC is already looking into it. Ive heard of target shooting and pest shooting this was definitley neither at 5:50AM in pitch black. Wasnt even first light yet.  
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,181 Captain
    There is a reasonable possibility it was someone popping a deer off before daylight. But the most you can do is let the FWC look into it. They have a tendency to look for the fire when they start hearing about lots of smoke. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,472 AG
    I guess "small caliber" in the OP threw me off. Report when you hear it and move on.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 419 Deckhand
    micci_man said:
    I guess "small caliber" in the OP threw me off. Report when you hear it and move on.
    Ha same

.17 can be pretty loud..  Also if poaching deer I doubt you would've heard multiple shots.  Probably shot an armadillo and shot again to keep from crawling under the house and dieing..

"Binell, its archery season, no guns. period. "
    No one is actually going to break out a bow and arrow to shoot a varmint at 5 in the morning..

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,181 Captain
    I would actually expect a rimfire to be used to poach a deer in the off hours before using a more powerful centerfire. 
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    edited September 2019 #19
    Uh-oh, I just heard a shot. Somebody has to be poaching. 
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,929 Captain
    edited September 2019 #20
    You would think they would use something not like a 30-06 or .270 but they dont lol the good poachers use the bow around there though
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Probably a beaver slapping his tail in a pond  B)
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Most poacher outlaws I knew about, used throw away truck guns for most of their deeds. The "good" ones had spotters to look for the LEOs and shot off the roads. They didn't shoot towards the neighbors as that would either solicit return fire, or mean the sheriff deputies would be joining the FWC. Most of the ones I knew of are all in the ground or too far gone health wise to continue their outlaw ways.  I report suspicious shots so they can be looked into.  I don't report those near known homes, as they pop rounds off frequently. Keep reporting Matt, and eventually something will come of it, either harmless or apprehension. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Well despite what yall said, turns out I was 100% on the money. FWC had gotten multiple calls about people driving in and poaching the horse trails in the early early morning. They said its been going on for a while especially in my area. 
    So they caught the poachers?
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 349 Deckhand
    There are a lot of poachers out there.  One has a road name out there named after him...  Anyone want to guess the road name?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,445 AG
    I shot two coons last week in my yard at 2 am..

with a shotgun.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,685 Admiral
    Art..No Hunting at night with a Light and Firearm.
    I'll be down to arrest you soon as Happy Hour is over.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,766 Captain
    I remember when there was discussion about legalizing Cross Bow, someone warned about Poaching with Cross Bow.
    Back then firearm muzzle suppressors were only something seen in movies. 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Ramblinman89Ramblinman89 Palm Beach countyPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    meateater said:
    Broward was a nice place till people from Dade started moving up and northerners moved down. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    There are a lot of poachers out there.  One has a road name out there named after him...  Anyone want to guess the road name?
    MLK Boulevard?
    So they caught the poachers?
    Not yet but they are increasing their efforts to make their presence known so that way the poachers might steer clear. Its hard for them to catch the poachers because as mentioned earlier the poachers are hard to catch because they are essentially in peoples backyards. Or they are poaching from their own backyards.