Home General Hunting

This could be Florida- Bear Hunting Memories

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
Great video here, imagine all the yrs we havent been able to do what the rest of the Country does to manage Bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKHGf3ZqaXE

Replies

• gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Thanks - those hounds make some fine music for sure.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Next to a pack of Beagles cuttin up at daybreak yes it is
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,396 Captain
    " imagine all the yrs we havent been able to do what the rest of the Country does to manage Bears "

Very well said !   
    Unfortunately in Florida these are winning:

This could be Florida- Bear Hunting Memories

Great video here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKHGf3ZqaXE

Great to see the young involved. They are our the future of our sport! 

Possibility of a bear hunting season in Florida 2020. 
    This must be STOPPED!

"Next to a pack of Beagles cuttin up at daybreak yes it is"

Ran Beagles for years.
     Who could possibly believe that mighty roar could come from such a little dog???

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Whenever I go on a Bear hunt and run dogs, kids line up asking to go.. just saying
    "Whenever I go on a Bear hunt and run dogs, kids line up asking to go.. just saying"
    Fantastic!   Hopefully some day soon we will be saying the same in Florida. 
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Now that I'm on the "home stretch" with my long and productive lifetime, let me run my mouth a little about bear hunting:
    Grew up in the Southern Mountains doing this mostly with dogs. Plotts, Mountain Curs, all crossed up breeds of these, and AIREDALES! Of all the dogs you'll ever associate with, none will be as intelligent as Airedales! But there is another way to bear hunt that has not been discussed here on the Forum: Instead of YOU hunting the BEAR, let the bear hunt YOU, and it's easy to do---here's how! 

Odor, smell, is a key factor with all wildlife species either for locating a food source or for survival, and of all wild animals in our region, none are as good at smelling as are our local Black Bears. Here's a trick to attract bears to you that is guaranteed to work, and it's simple to apply. 
    Wow but did I get spaced out on this one! That medication that the Mayo Medics have me on is really taking me for a ride! Anyhow, give me a chance if you will, and I'll get it covered pretty soon! 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Hang in there Woods. Heavy Meds are hard to regulate, we're all different, with diff metabolisms.  The good info will be just as good when you do post it. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Sounds really good! 
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,314 Officer
    So what’s the special sauce I should wear  o:)
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,445 AG
    peanut butter

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    donuts in your pockets
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    spangler said:
    donuts in your pockets
    You huntin' the "PoPo"?
    OK, it's early morning, and I think I have everything under control to finish up on my "special sauce" for becoming the hunted-by-bears scenario. We'll see!
    It's a little "messy" to work with initially, but do it because it will work most of the time.

Save up about a quart of bacon grease and melt this down adding a couple of cans of Salmon and a small spice bottle of ANISE OIL (off the shelf at Publix) to the mix and stir it up well. Put it outside protected and in the shade for a day or so and let it "ripen"---you'll smell it!  Then brush this mix over your boots pretty well, and your lower pants legs below the knees. Take about a forth of a bath towel and soak it in the mix 'till soppy wet---couple of hours in the "mess" will work. Tie this soppy piece of towel with a 10 foot or so piece of rope to drag behind you as you walk 2-3 miles through the woods. If your route crosses any creeks/branches, have a few pieces of soaked towels with short attached ropes to tie off in the running water to carry the odor down stream a couple of miles. Simply walk through the woods 2-3 miles to your stand where you can set up and be observant. A bear cannot resist investigating this odor, but remember the bear is a hundred times more observant than you will be, so if you aren't well concealed at your stand the bear will know a human is close-by. 

It is the Anise Oil that is the "secret" ingredient in drawing in deer and other common wildlife. Back several years before I retired out and was still collecting field data on wildlife--primarily deer--we would mix an ounce or so of this spice with rendered down deer tallow and spray it on the lower pants legs and boots. It works, I assure you! You can be in a tree stand and see deer approaching from any direction checking out.

Deer Tallow is simple to make---it's simply the deer fat rendered down to liquid form and kept in pint Mason jars. So next time you bust a deer, cut the fat out and render it down to liquid form over low heat and put the liquid in Mason jars. It's worth the effort, I promise you! And it's legal to use this fat and anise oil in Florida.

OK!  Think I made it this time before these weird medications kicked in and dulled my senses!  

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,766 Captain
    If I was parenting children in Florida today, a Dog Bear Hunt would be on the bottom of the exposure/ experience list.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    I concur with your thinking on this 100%. In fact I would not advocate running dogs on any form of wildlife---it's simply the way things were back in the mid-1940's into the '60s when I was a kid growing up in the Southern Mountains. Rural America does not exist as it did back then. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    If I was parenting children in Florida today, a Dog Bear Hunt would be on the bottom of the exposure/ experience list.
    Maybe if in FL, simply because it isn’t legal. Can’t think of any good reason not to, other than that. 

Hunting any legal game with dogs and kids in tow is always a good way to expose them to the outdoors. 

Hunting with a good dog is more about the enjoyment of seeing/hearing the dog work than it is about the harvest
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 819 Officer
    My kids have harvested animals and understand some aspects aren’t pretty,but I’m pretty sure running a bear down with a pack of dogs wouldn’t sit well with them. To each is own and no hate. 
    "Hunting with a good dog is more about the enjoyment of seeing/hearing the dog work than it is about the harvest"
    Absolutely. I ran Walker, Redbone, and Beagles. To see and hear them working as a team was amazing. 

Must admit we never hunted bear with them; only rabbits & hogs. 

"running a bear down with a pack of dogs wouldn’t sit well with them."
    Never appealed to me either.  "To each is own and no hate."  Absolutely! 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    edited September 2019 #22
    Run a bear down?

Up a tree? Sure.

Never heard of running one down though. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,445 AG
    hunting with dogs is more social than any stand hunting and a great way to introduce youngsters to the woods.

just look a social media, dog hunting (tween dog hunters ) has far less adversity than stand/still hunters..

We work as a team unlike the still hunters and aren't as jealous if someone gets that deer.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    "Run a bear down?"   Those darn brutes can run for hours. As a rule they do have a tendency to eventually run up a tree. Have had them stand their ground in New Mexico. 
    In addition, sometimes things are not as we would like them to be...

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    hunting with dogs is more social than any stand hunting and a great way to introduce youngsters to the woods.

just look a social media, dog hunting (tween dog hunters ) has far less adversity than stand/still hunters..

We work as a team unlike the still hunters and aren't as jealous if someone gets that deer.
    Well said,👍
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 987 Officer
    OK, it's early morning, and I think I have everything under control to finish up on my "special sauce" for becoming the hunted-by-bears scenario. We'll see!
    It's a little "messy" to work with initially, but do it because it will work most of the time.

Save up about a quart of bacon grease and melt this down adding a couple of cans of Salmon and a small spice bottle of ANISE OIL (off the shelf at Publix) to the mix and stir it up well. Put it outside protected and in the shade for a day or so and let it "ripen"---you'll smell it!  Then brush this mix over your boots pretty well, and your lower pants legs below the knees. Take about a forth of a bath towel and soak it in the mix 'till soppy wet---couple of hours in the "mess" will work. Tie this soppy piece of towel with a 10 foot or so piece of rope to drag behind you as you walk 2-3 miles through the woods. If your route crosses any creeks/branches, have a few pieces of soaked towels with short attached ropes to tie off in the running water to carry the odor down stream a couple of miles. Simply walk through the woods 2-3 miles to your stand where you can set up and be observant. A bear cannot resist investigating this odor, but remember the bear is a hundred times more observant than you will be, so if you aren't well concealed at your stand the bear will know a human is close-by. 

It is the Anise Oil that is the "secret" ingredient in drawing in deer and other common wildlife. Back several years before I retired out and was still collecting field data on wildlife--primarily deer--we would mix an ounce or so of this spice with rendered down deer tallow and spray it on the lower pants legs and boots. It works, I assure you! You can be in a tree stand and see deer approaching from any direction checking out.

Deer Tallow is simple to make---it's simply the deer fat rendered down to liquid form and kept in pint Mason jars. So next time you bust a deer, cut the fat out and render it down to liquid form over low heat and put the liquid in Mason jars. It's worth the effort, I promise you! And it's legal to use this fat and anise oil in Florida.

OK!  Think I made it this time before these weird medications kicked in and dulled my senses!  

I've read this somewhere in the last year maybe even on this forum and it was explained word for word to the T exactly as you just did. Lots of good people still around with a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sharing I can see myself being the 1 dumb _ss to get all lathered up in this special sauce and forget to chamber a round before heading in the field and well you guys can imagine how the rest of the story goes  Man that would be probably top 5 in worst ways possible to leave this earth