Home Off Topic

Word of the day

mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
Rubicon

[ˈro͞obəˌkän]
NOUN
  1. (in piquet) an act of winning a game against an opponent whose total score is less than 100, in which case the loser's score is added to rather than subtracted from the winner's.
VERB
  1. score a rubicon against (one's opponent).

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,067 Captain
    I thought it was a Jeep Wrangler model.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    pottydoc said:
    It's a river..ask Ballak.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    If you want to start a word of the day thread it might be a good idea to start it early in the day.
    On the other hand you could start a word of tomorrow thread giving the people some time to think about it and be more creative. Last part was sarcastic, no one cares until you say the wrong words then someone cries and ferris cares. 
    gandrfab said:
    If you want to start a word of the day thread it might be a good idea to start it early in the day.
    On the other hand you could start a word of tomorrow thread giving the people some time to think about it and be more creative. Last part was sarcastic, no one cares until you say the wrong words then someone cries and ferris cares. 
    So it's early....what's the word of the day?
    "Impeachment"?
    dave44 said:
    gandrfab said:
    "Impeachment"?
    No that’s a pretty tired word of 2 years in a row.
       Besides, you can’t impeach a corrupt ex Vice President, he’s already out.
    You may want to Schiff your opinion. The Vice is no longer relevant, it's in the garage next to the bench grinder.
    It is a worn out term.....but I'm hearing it everywhere this week.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    dave44 said:
    gandrfab said:
    "Impeachment"?
    You may want to Schiff your opinion. The Vice is no longer relevant, it's in the garage next to the bench grinder.
    I hear it a lot too. It’s still an irrelevant and poorly designed accusation as it has been for years. And some people think the media aren’t highly paid political operatives.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Great post bro 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,127 Admiral
    gandrfab said:
    "Impeachment"?
    How about Whistle blower
    dave44 said:
    gandrfab said:
    "Impeachment"?
    I have an old HD 6" Wilton picked it up at an auction for $40.oo
    edited September 2019 #13
    Better word of the day? 
       Unhinged.
     Or hysteria.
    gandrfab said:
    dave44 said:
    gandrfab said:
    "Impeachment"?
    I have an old HD 6" Wilton picked it up at an auction for $40.oo
    Mines black.
    Mine's mostly red and dirty. The table it's bolted to is something else.
    Curtis 20'x30.5" made with 5" I-beam rated for 20,000lbs
    gandrfab said:
    Do you clamp your boat to it?
    gandrfab said:
    What else you got?
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    pottydoc said:
    It's a river..ask Ballak.
    Yes. It's a small river in Emilia Romagna, Northern Italy.
    It's famous because it was the border between the Roman Republic and the "Gallia Cisalpina" that Julius Caesar crossed (saying the famous motto "alea iacta est") with his army, starting his riot against the Roman Republic. Even today the saying "crossing the Rubicon" it means doing something without any possibility to come back.
    A curiosity: the general Tito Labieno (who was a Caeser's subordinate in the Gallia's campaign) at the Caeser's decision to riot against the Republic defected and came back in Rome. Well, this guy was the one who conquered my town after decades of resistance against Rome by my ancestors. Indeed my town is named Laveno Mombello (from "Labieno" and "mons belli" that means war hill).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon 
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
    gandrfab said:
    What else you got?
    Hammers a nice variety  but still do not have a dead blow. 
    gandrfab said:
    gandrfab said:
    What else you got?
    Hammers a nice variety  but still do not have a dead blow. 
    A 20' long table, a bench grinder, and a bunch of hammers...but no dead blow....
    You're in the hammer repair business...aren't you?

Clawing your way to success...I'm inspired :'(
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Sorry, but I am going to have to Tanker this thread!

23895.gif
    Resinhead said:
    Hammertime!

Pretty. That’s what happens when I use a hammer that’s foreign to me.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    I once wrote a song called Beyond Rubicon, but it was about war, not Nixon, although it vaguely refered to Vietnam.  I was ahead of my time.

Captain Todd Approves

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,979 AG
    Yeah, I was removing some old cut nails in a slab in between two new walls and was twisted like a pretzel. Hammer glanced off a stud on the way down and veered right into my finger. Started drinking early after that.
    dave44 said:
    Resinhead said:
    Hammertime!

Do you have the same issue with foreign cars or trucks? 
    gandrfab said:
    dave44 said:
    Resinhead said:
    Hammertime!

Do you have the same issue with foreign cars or trucks? 
     Every time I swing one over my head!
    dave44 said:
    Resinhead said:
    Hammertime!

If you need that hammer fixed.....I know a guy.