Home General Hunting

Rabbit hunting in north east florida

nate308nate308 JacksonvillePosts: 3 Greenhorn
I was wanting to go rabbit and squirrel hunting. I live in st John's county and was wondering if anybody knows some good places to go.

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,102 Captain
    i would like to also know, ive heard about guana but not sure how it works.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Guana is great for squirrel hunting not much for rabbits though. It's a daily permit during small game. Drive up to the check station show your license and you're in. Lots of good oak hammocks on the north end with tons of squirrels. As far as rabbits go four creeks during small game is your best bet. Drive around right at sun up until you see a few in a givin area and start there.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,004 Officer
    All of our wmas in NE are pretty good for squirrels.  Guana, Belmore, 4 creeks, Jennings. You just have to get out and learn the land a bit. Check the brochures for small game dates and legal harvest...most include hogs in small game. Caravelle is a bit of a haul but the south section is some of my favorite land..just beautiful on a crisp fall evening.  I don't think any of them have enough rabbits to claim you are going rabbit hunting but you might get one as bycatch here and there. So go get some tree rats!
  • nate308nate308 JacksonvillePosts: 3 Greenhorn
    edited September 2019 #6
    Thanks everyone this will help me out a lot, I'll make sure to get out to these places and try my luck.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,102 Captain
    creekgeek said:
    All of our wmas in NE are pretty good for squirrels.  Guana, Belmore, 4 creeks, Jennings. You just have to get out and learn the land a bit. Check the brochures for small game dates and legal harvest...most include hogs in small game. Caravelle is a bit of a haul but the south section is some of my favorite land..just beautiful on a crisp fall evening.  I don't think any of them have enough rabbits to claim you are going rabbit hunting but you might get one as bycatch here and there. So go get some tree rats!
    i appreciate the tips as well, squirrels are fun to shoot as well.