finally broke down... got a Summit

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,089 Moderator
Was in Mississippi visiting family over Thanksgiving. As many of you know, I have been scouring Craigslist looking for a used climber in order to save some coin.

Well, while in MS my family decided that they wanted to go visit some property that my aunt's husband just bought. Not hunting property at all, but he mentioned taking his .410 out there to mess around with. I saw it and it was was a break barrel deal with about a 12" barrel and a thumb hole stock. Figured we could pretty much rule out clays with that gun. So, I said, "I"m going to go buy a new rough and tumble 12 ga. We can shoot clays with it, and then I can leave my mint condition A-5 at the house for most outings. Plus, I've been wanting somethig that can shoot something other than 2 3/4 in case I try for turkey his spring."

Well, I had every intention fo buying a shot gun (there's an entire thread on that whole deal... I'm still going to get a new one, but not yet sure WHEN or what) but when I walked into ****'s, they had some Summits at fair (not great, but fair) prices. I actually NEED (relatively speaking) a climber and th shotgun would really have been just so that we could have shot clays on Friday. SO... I picked up a climber.

I was on my way to the checkout isle with the Viper (not SD and in Steel) and I said to myself.... "Self, this joker is heavy. Let's go take a look at that quiet foam filled aluminum one for an extra $70." Well, I picked up that box and was promptly on my way to check out... minus 10 extra pounds and a bunch of clanking steel.

Summit Viper "Infinity" SD is what I ended up with.

Best I can tell is that the "Infinity" is a private label / model for ****'s Sporting Goods. Best I can tell, it's the Viper SD, but it comes WITH a footrest if you buy from ****'s. It's also not the normal color that you see on most Summits... this one is more of a very dark grey... almost black. Eh? Whatever. Bought and paid for at this point.

Pretty excited. Come rifle season I have a tree already in mind.

climber.jpg

Looks like I might not have been the first one to take this puppy out of the box. Oh well. I'm not worried about it.
climber2.jpg

That property where we hit golf balls, shot the .410 a little bit (**** of a gun, btw), built a fire, had some bloody marrys and then beer, etc... it had about a 5 acre pond on it just LOADED with these boogers...

I bet I caught 100 of these, and they'd take anything you threw to them. Crappie jigs, big soft baits, bare jig head, etc. Clearly this fish are HUNGRY!
pond.jpg

And probably 15 of these. Biggest sunfish I've ever seen...
pond2.jpg

The property was just purchased. I told my aunt and her husband that they need to zap that pond and get a fish count. I imagine if they killed about half of those 12-14" bass that they could grow some monsters in there. Would be kind of cool to have a catch and release trophy bass pond.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,535 Admiral
    Good deal!
    What was the $$$ on the climber?

I'd love to get one of those Lone Wolf. Quiet and around 20# but......I'll stick with my Viper ss for now and the next I get will be a two-man ladder for the kid(s) and I.
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    The Lone Wolf stands are light...but they don't grip the tree like a Summit. That rubber belt they use sure does leave me feeling insecure on the tree.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,089 Moderator
    This stand was $279 and came with the $30 footrest. Obviously no shipping, but I did pay a 7% Mississippi sales tax, so it came out to just a few dollars under $300.

A lot of money. You can find it cheaper online, but not by a whole lot and the ones online don't come with the $30 footrest, and not all places have free shipping. So, I paid $20 in tax on a decent price and got a free $30 footrest.

Not bad.

Hopefully I'll get home in time today to set it up on a tree in the yard and see how she climbs / sits. Even if it's not 100% ideal, I'll be happy with it. I don't use climbers often, but I do need one every now and then. Happy to again have this tool back in my arsenal. I WON'T be leaving this one in the area where my last one was stolen. That's for sure!
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,535 Admiral
    I bet you'll love it!
    Looks great and that footrest.......make sure you have your HSS on...u might fall asleep LOL

Are you zone B too? Or a different state?
    Rifle starts Dec 3. I just picked out a new tree yesterday as well.
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    You won't regret it that's for sure! I love my summit
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,006 Officer
    That's a sweet stand, you won't be disappointed. I've got to get a footrest for mine (Summit Viper). I've sat in stands with them and it really makes a difference. Oh, and the paint scheme...I think that's summit's new "dead metal technology." It's not supposed to be clanky like the standard aluminum stands, IMO, the only downfall of a traditional Summit Aluminum stand. If I hit one limb or drop a buckle strap or something on it in the pre-dawn hours It sounds like a marching band coming through the woods. Try smacking some light wire metal against it and see if it makes a clunk or a clank, then you'll know for sure.
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Might I suggest some upgraded straps for it. I think you'll find them much more comfortable :wink

IMAG0023.jpg
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,089 Moderator
    Ol Mucky wrote: »
    I bet you'll love it!
    Are you zone B too? Or a different state?
    Rifle starts Dec 3.

I'm Zone D. We had a 4 day Thanksgiving holiday weekend rifle season, and then it opens for good on Dec 10.
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Might I suggest some upgraded straps for it. I think you'll find them much more comfortable
    Those straps of yours look awesome. If I ever get back on a lease where I'm not comfortable leaving it, or certainly if I ever start hunting public land, I'll definitely upgrade the straps. For now, I just have it for that 40 acre strip. I have one stree that I wanted to put a stand, so I considered a permanent one, but I got this one for...

1. That spot, and it can do double / triple duty...
    2. Way to hunt last minute wind shifts (actual VS wx report and atypical seasonal winds) at the 40 acres
    3. Way to hunt new random spots with fresh sign during the rut
    4. Way to hunt that sketcy piece of private property where people 4-wheel, cook meth, steal stuff, etc.

We'll see. Hopefully I'll take sometihng from it once rifle opens up and I'll be sure to post.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I have the viper ss without the footrest and love it. I'll be adding the foot rest soon I hope. I think you'll be really happy with that purchase in the long run.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Summit stands are fantastic. I have the Summit 180, because I like to face the tree during rifle season and believe me when I tell you that you can easily fall asleep in a Summit. They are waaaay too comfortable. You won't be disappointed.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • fatpossumfatpossum Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Nice stand. I had a friend loan me his last season for a quota hunt and I went and bought one. Climbs easy and is very comfortable. My only gripe is that you have to remove the seat to pack out.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    fatpossum wrote: »
    Nice stand. I had a friend loan me his last season for a quota hunt and I went and bought one. Climbs easy and is very comfortable. My only gripe is that you have to remove the seat to pack out.
    What stand do you have to remove the seat?? My summit viper packs together seat and all. No doubt the best treestand I have ever owned. Climbs quiet, its light, its safe, and most of all its comfortable!!
  • gatortrout19gatortrout19 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Possum, you shouldn't have to remove the seat to put the top and bottom together, if that's what you're saying. It either folds up into the other piece or lays flat, depending on year/model.

I bought my first Summit back in 2003 and am still using it, works like a champ every time. You won't be disappointed with it. Only it seems like they know how good they are now with the prices
  • flhunterflhunter Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Congrats on the Summit I have been using them for several years and have been very pleased with them only thing i would agree with omegafoo on the straps if you use and move it a lot.
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 733 Officer
    Love the Summit!
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Summit's rock!
    No need to take the seat off for packing. Follow the instructions, or go to youtube for a tutorial.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • JacobJacob Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    This season I picked up my first climber at Ganders in Lake Mary Florida (Summit Viper SD). Pretty sure I came out around $250.00 w/out the foot rest plus military discount. I still need to change out my straps but I actually redirect the seat to serve as a back pad while hiking with it. My last hunt I managed to jump up a six point while scouting almost two miles of creek bed with this stand on my back and a small pack. My only complaint:

The steel cable is rubber coated and works great, but if you look close at the metal tubing where the excess cable rests while in use it has some harsh edges and after only three uses is starting to cut and strip the steel cable's rubber coat.

If I remember I will try to get some pictures. Otherwise, I'm loving this climber.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Jacob wrote: »
    This season I picked up my first climber at Ganders in Lake Mary Florida (Summit Viper SD). Pretty sure I came out around $250.00 w/out the foot rest plus military discount. I still need to change out my straps but I actually redirect the seat to serve as a back pad while hiking with it. My last hunt I managed to jump up a six point while scouting almost two miles of creek bed with this stand on my back and a small pack. My only complaint:

The steel cable is rubber coated and works great, but if you look close at the metal tubing where the excess cable rests while in use it has some harsh edges and after only three uses is starting to cut and strip the steel cable's rubber coat.

If I remember I will try to get some pictures. Otherwise, I'm loving this climber.

You can order new shrink wrap for the cables you know. But I agree, it does tear up pretty easy.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
    Jacob wrote: »

Yep, I agree. Summit's cable channel tends to tear the rubber coating up after just a few uses. What I did to eliminate this problem, was to take a dremmel tool and smooth down the inside edges of the cable channel. Not too much, just enough to take the sharp edge off. Then, I took cloth tape and applied it to the cable stops so the tape, rather than the rubber, contacts the aluminum.

Haven't had a problem since.
  • fatpossumfatpossum Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Okay. I'll play with it more next time I use it. Directions? Is that what was on that paper? Thanks
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    Omegafoo, where did you get those backpack straps?
    Omegafoo, where did you get those backpack straps?

Pretty sure those are "Molle" straps. Ebay and most army/navy stores have them.