Home General Hunting

St. Vincent Hosp. Jax – anti-hunter, gun, safety?

ShineShine Posts: 833 Officer
edited September 2019 in General Hunting #1

Interesting experience today.  Took my wife to St. Vincent Hospital Jax for minor surgery.  In the waiting room, tried to access the QDMA website on my device, but there was not a signal inside the structure.  So, logged into St Vinnie's public WIFI.  I was surprised to find that they had blocked the site because it involved "Sport Hunting and War Games."  I found that rather insulting as hunting is some how related to war games.  And, insulting that something me, my friends and family have participated in for my entire life is such an abomination that it must be banned from public viewing!

So, lets see what else is too profane for public consumption:

Hunter Ed -- program sanction by FWC to meet your educational safety requirement.  Yep, Sports Hunting and War Games!  Much too graphic!

Mathews Bows -- despite the fact that much of their product line is sold to target archers and national archery in schools program -- Banned! "Weapons Sales"

Pope and Young, you guessed it -- Sport Hunting and War Games!

Cabela's?  Hell No!  Weapons sales!  Never mind the fishing and apparel.  But you can get to D I c k's Sporting Goods.

In all fairness, the senior management at St. Vincent's probably has no idea this is happening.  This is the result of a "security" program used and purchased from a third party.  That said, I sent an email to St. Vs asking for  a response.  None.  And the provider of the security program sent me two nonsensical responses that were obviously computer generated.  I don't believe its about anything other than the liberal agenda of the people behind program.

Being much the civil libertarian, I believe it is their right to do what they want, restrict what they want and to be as anti hunting and anti gun as they want.  In turn, I have the right to vote with my feet and tell D i c k's and St. Vincent's and Wal-Mart and all the other antis that my checkbook goes with me.  Thank God I am old enough to see what this country was before we became a nation of pvssies. 

PS.  I could get into Netflix and view the Walking Dead.  I guess watching Negan smashing peoples heads in with a baseball bat is good wholesome entertainment for the hole family.  But, "sport hunting,"  God help us.

Cheers!

Replies

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 960 Officer
    Wow never even knew there were pages that could be blocked through wifi. That list has to be as long as allowed websites. Wonder if they would have blocked this website if you tried. Its laughable though about Netflix. Learn something new every day i guess thanks for posting.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 527 Officer
    It's called web filtering.

Websites receive a rating much like movies or tv shows. Think like an R rated movie or the TV-MA you may see pop into the top corner of 'Law in Order'.

Network administrators, like myself, set limitation on networks based on site ratings to limit liability; Especially public wifi networks.

The problem is, the ratings are much to broad as you pointed out. Hunter education is not something I would block as an administrator. Looks like Foritnet, the service provider, would be the one to blame more than St. Vincent.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    Dam,m Hippies , What ever happened to  Sports Afield or Outdoor Life...Woods and Water.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ShineShine Posts: 833 Officer
    It's called web filtering.

Websites receive a rating much like movies or tv shows. Think like an R rated movie or the TV-MA you may see pop into the top corner of 'Law in Order'.

Network administrators, like myself, set limitation on networks based on site ratings to limit liability; Especially public wifi networks.

The problem is, the ratings are much to broad as you pointed out. Hunter education is not something I would block as an administrator. Looks like Foritnet, the service provider, would be the one to blame more than St. Vincent.

Yes, it was Fortinet. Artificial unintelligence.  Blame?  just like a gun or any other tool -- don't blame the device when you point it in a certain direction.  Be sure of your "target."
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 527 Officer
    Fortinet is a company not the device.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,731 AG
    Well....It is public and free to use...I don't see where you have much to complain about. The person who pays the bill...sets how the site is filtered.  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,461 Officer
    Skynet gains a bit more control everyday!
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 515 Officer
    its the the matrix.