Home Conservation Front

Gulf Council wants to allow more ARS kills by Shrimping??

Here we go again, at the same time the Feds continue to ratchet down the harvest of RED SNAPPER they are considering allowing commercial shrimpers to kill more of them as "by catch" in the Gulf.

SEPTEMBER 20, 2019

Gulf Council Rule Likely to Increase Destructive By-Catch in Shrimp Trawling

NOAA Fisheries is currently taking comments on a proposal from the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council that would allow an increase in the amount of commercial shrimp trawl fishing effort in the northern Gulf of Mexico. If fully implemented, Shrimp Amendment 18 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Shrimp Fishery of the Gulf of Mexico would allow commercial shrimpers to trawl an additional 5,800 24-hour days in the northern Gulf, a relative increase in Gulf-wide effort of 21 percent.

This action will also dramatically increase the amount of bycatch killed in shrimp trawls, including Atlantic croaker, seatrout and juvenile red snapper.

Reductions in shrimp trawl bycatch – the result of a successful CCA lawsuit and the 2005 hurricane season – led directly to an extraordinary rebound in the Gulf red snapper population. No measure taken before 2005 had even begun to reverse the downward spiral of red snapper that had endured for decades. Nonetheless, federal fishery managers now appear willing to take the risky bet of allowing significantly more destructive shrimp trawls in the Gulf of Mexico and putting the recovery of red snapper at risk.

Shrimp trawls are among the most destructive, indiscriminate commercial gears in use today. To catch one pound of shrimp roughly seven pounds of bycatch come up in the nets. That bycatch can be anything in the ocean that cannot outswim the nets, and almost all of it is culled and thrown back dead. The toll from tens of thousands of shrimp trawl tows every year is a devastating, hidden impact on our ocean ecosystems, but no one knows the exact extent of the destruction since less than one percent of all shrimping trips have observer coverage.

The very limited data on bycatch indicates this measure will kill tens of million of pounds of finfish over the next 14 years. And those are conservative estimates because the dated estimates of bycatch used in the analysis of this amendment come from a period of depressed stocks.

This is your opportunity to tell NOAA Fisheries that rather than perpetuating and increasing the destruction caused by dragging nets over sensitive ecosystems, managers should be increasing observer coverage and using every means to reduce negative impacts to the greatest extent possible.  Use this link to be taken to the Federal Register web site to speak against increasing bycatch in the shrimp industry: https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=NOAA-NMFS-2019-0045-0040

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Replies

• I remember some 10 or so years ago at a gulf council meeting about red snapper where one of the commercial shrimpers from either the panhandle or texas said IN FRONT OF EVERYONE, and I quote "I don't remember ever catching a Juvenal red snapper in my nets"
    True story!!
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,756 Captain
    Sounds like the shrimping lobby is alive and well...…………….
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,386 AG
    edited September 2019 #4
    sure it is, domestic shrimp production (outside of bait) is a mere shadow  from 30-40 years ago.  lol

Just a quick lesson on how management works, when species recover then all user groups (should) share in the bounty.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I agree with you to an extent. The species has indeed recovered, but the recovery was due to one user group being virtually excluded from the fishery for an extended period of time. Nothing more.
    drgibby said:
    I agree with you to an extent. The species has indeed recovered, but the recovery was due to one user group being virtually excluded from the fishery for an extended period of time. Nothing more.
    so you are saying that the GOM shrimp fleet had nothing to do with the decline?

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Commercial interests always prevail over the recreational people 
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    so you are saying that the GOM shrimp fleet had nothing to do with the decline?
    No sir, I am saying the recovery of the ARS was more likely due to the fact that the RECS were restricted to a minimal access to the fishery for enough years that there was a significant recovery of the fishery. Which now will allow the shrimpers to continue to decimate the juveniles once again...…….Nothing less, nothing more.  

why don't you look up your catch vs the decline of the GOM shrimp fleet..

nah, you won't as pulling supposition out your **** is more your style..
    If you believe that the RECS being denied access to the ARS fishery for many years, or the access being limited to a few days for the entire year had nothing to do with the recovery. Then I guess we will continue to disagree.

As for pulling stuff out of my ***, I really would have expected more from you. Especially after still being so butt-hurt from the net ban. 

Have a nice day...……. 
    drgibby said:
    If you believe that the RECS being denied access to the ARS fishery for many years, or the access being limited to a few days for the entire year had nothing to do with the recovery. Then I guess we will continue to disagree.

As for pulling stuff out of my ***, I really would have expected more from you. Especially after still being so butt-hurt from the net ban. 

Have a nice day...……. 
    so you are saying that the unlimited rec fishery was mainly responsible for the steep decline in ARS numbers?

Glad you finally fessed up, I was going to blame a lot of it on the 1970's shrimp fleet before BRD's. lol

No sir, as usual you have read into my post exactly what you wanted. I never said a word  about the cause of the decline.  I stated that I felt the recovery of the fishery was due to the fact that one user group, ie the RECs, was virtually excluded from the fishery for an extended period of time. 

Granted shrimpers have a roll in the equation, but that wasn`t my point.

correlate.

your point was eliminating the recreational take allowed the species to rebound.

( I didn't use the term "Slaughter" like a CCA ballcupper would).
    1 year after the net ban I listened to the sporto's claims about how trout, pompano, and mackerel had rebounded..

My rebuttal was along the lines of "eliminate a user group and you will see more fish".

Took you a while but you're coming around.
  • MF32YFMF32YF Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    How much time can you spend on the water with over 10k posts?  Articulate and internet savvy...perhaps. Biased Baiter...no doubt.  Those with time on the deck know the truth. 
    I log around 12-1500 hours on the water from Oct. 5th thru May 15th and aprox 400 -600 during the summer.

Internet service and cruise control help pass the time on the 2 hour plus ride back and forth from the dock.

you are welcome to ride along sometime but pack a big lunch.
    come on man, those with time on the deck know right?
    Hahaha yea you’re right #uno, You da man. You keep posting & doing your thing.  

Never debate with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference...
    again bub, you welcome to step on board next Friday night around 2345 for a 6 day round the clock setting of gear.

I got close to 4k to set and only haul 275-80 at a time..

Come get u some!

Crab Plant in Crystal River, better yet show up at 10 pm and help load..

• toomertoomer Posts: 347 Deckhand
    Hey, MF.  That is an offer of a lifetime from A1.  I'd go in a heartbeat if I could.  I love getting stinky, bone tired, sunburned, frustrated, sore, seasick, and broke.
  • I hear A1 is looking for a new cabin boy.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    I hear A1 is looking for a new cabin boy.

Yeah but I don't want no underage kid still living with Mom.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,869 AG
    edited October 2019 #25
    MF32YF said:

Art is hardly a fool, and you've been debating with him for a few posts now.  

I think you should take him up on his offer and get some deck time under your belt.