Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak for the Ocean

GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 186 Deckhand
Looking for recommendations for either single or tandem kayaks for me and my son to use in the ocean. We`ve spent a fair amount of time on paddle boards out in the blue but now looking to do something else. We`re looking at kayaks. I pref dont want to buy new, want a good all round kayak, we`re beginners so something that will play well with us given our ocean conditions. Want to paddle, not peddle. Im 6'2 230lbs and son is 5 something 120lbs - budget 300-400 per kayak or 800 tandem.

If this is works out work we`ll look at peddle fishing kayaks.

Replies

• GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 186 Deckhand
    Scratch that - lets not do a tandem, singles will be better.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 934 Officer
    Tandem would be good if 1 fishes, 1 paddles.
    And nobody does anything stupid, quickly.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 224 Deckhand
    I have two Ocean Kayak Prowler 13s. Good all around especially for rough water. For what it is worth, two is better than a double. If one goes over the other can help. Same with landing fish. Also either can go alone. The Trident is probably the newer version of the Prowler. I don’t want a fish box between my legs. 

Wider, flatter yaks are better for standing (I can’t).  BUT: not as stable or easy to paddle. The wind and currents on the ocean can be very strong very quick. You have to plan your days and be conservative in what you do.  INVEST IN A HAND HELD RADIO THAT FLOATS AND AN EPIRB. REGISTER THE EPIRB.  BRING EXTRA WATER. 

Don’t expect your boy to be able to do what you do. Then, after a few years, don’t expect to do what he does. Take a truckers bat to persuade large, toothy fish. 

Renember, whatever you buy you have to lift, store, and transport. I recommend paddle leashes. 

Enjoy and be safe. 
    Tandem would be good if 1 fishes, 1 paddles.
    And nobody does anything stupid, quickly.
    Mmm, thats an interesting take on it. I could make my son paddle while i fish, i`m thinking that might be a good deal.
  • krashkrash Posts: 735 Officer
    If your kid is 5+ @ 120 assume hes a teen...

I;d go 2 single kayaks and there is a good selection of good uesd kayaks out there.. but will break your budget. Expect to pay $300-$500 for a good used kayak for fishing so long as standing is not a real concern. Standing limits your selection in  the used market. Old school, and I'm an old schooler, kayaks were made for paddling not standing, but they will paddle circles around the new school widder, flatter, heavier models on the market today.
    Ocean Kayak has several models ScupperPro, Prowler, Tridant. Wilderness Tarpon. Heritage Redfish (has had more than one manufacturer name but the Redfisg is a model... All good choices and you  should be able to find under $500.00 on the used market. many modesl come in 12 to 15' models.. at 6'3" I'd shuuset 14' of better for yourself and a 12' or 13' would be good for the kid.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • FishFactsTVFishFactsTV Miami, FLPosts: 58 Deckhand
    I had an ocean kayak big yak and hated.  The longer you get the better.  I upgraded to the hobie outback and loved it.  Out of your range now. but so much more fishable.
    Check out my page on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/fishfactstv
    Thanks for the info guys - not really looking to fish out of it, it`ll be more for open water exploring/paddling/exercise than anything else. Krash, ive started looking for the models you mentioned and have found a couple in that price range. I`ll go and check them out and let ya`ll know what i come up with.

Wra22 - very true what you`re saying, i shouldn't expect my young`in to be able to do what i can - and to your point regarding the safety equipment and water, even when we paddle we pack our safety gear. Valuable info about the bat and paddle leashes and being able to carry everything too ...... ok for now but in a couple years time im not so sure ;-)