Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing the Trail (Help wanted)

So this weekend I plan on heading down 41 from the Tampa Bay area to fish the trail south of Naples. I’ve taken the trip some time ago, but I imagine things have changed quite a bit. My current plan is to fish the canal systems on fly and jump from spot to spot. Ideally, I’ll be out there at sunrise and I’ve scoped the place thoroughly for some promising spots. I’m primarily targeting juvenile tarpon.

Some questions I have are:

How pressured is the trail? Is it consistent regardless of the circumstances or is it similar to the dreaded Tampa Bay tarpon who won’t even flinch at a line in the water?

Are the residential areas and canals in Everglades City / Chokoloskee with the drive down to fish?

Any preference on Fly Color / Pattern? I understand the water can look like Nesquik down there at times.

Is "Golden Gate" worth the hype to and is the Peacock bite pretty consistent this time of year? 

Also, if you have any additional input or tips they’d be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,318 Officer
    Only thing i can help you with is golden gate city. Yes the peacock is pretty consistent but you must have a boat. Not many options for bank fishing as its almost all residential.
    Jason :USA
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 642 Officer
      No pressure on any fishing south of Goodland.Second,there are several turn offs 
    of US41 fresh water.But be careful many gators in those areas.Try the two canals
    running along side the road bewween US41 and Goodland.Next the canals running
    along the road leading into EC.Also 92 running between EC and Immoaklee.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,840 Captain
    Make a point of looking at every one of the small bridges that cross 41, from Port of the Islands back towards Naples... Pay particular attention to any with visible current.... Be careful doing this - not much room to park a car and your backcast can be murder... Use small dark colored flies (occasionally plain white works just as well...) like weighted Seaducers,  maribou muddlers in size one or two, crystal schminnows in size four or two, as well as small Gurglers or poppers.... Everything worked across any current you notice (and when standing down near the water toss some bugs up under each bridge - let them sink and work slowly across current - and as deep as you can...).  Hang on to your rod and keep an eye out for nosy neighbors (snakes and 'gators).  Don't be surprised to lose a fish or two to 'gators after you hook them...

Fishing on foot on days when the weather is bad can be pretty good....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • DanielwayneDanielwayne AlvaPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    edited September 2019 #5
  • Jeremy 1Jeremy 1 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    This is some great local insight and I appreciate it. Unfortunately we had to push the trip back 2 weeks but I will have a report with our results.  
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 112 Deckhand
    What about launching a small boat and fishing upstream of the barrier at POI?
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,318 Officer
    What about launching a small boat and fishing upstream of the barrier at POI?
    The big T can be very productive for bass, snook and tarpon.
    Jason :USA
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    edited September 2019 #9
    i fished just in from marco on san marco blvd to 41 and there were signs of pressure; line stuck in trees, garbage, and a guy pulled off and fished right next to me :( . Got one small snook and some small mangroves but it was mid day heat so didnt expect much
    we need more internet money
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,670 Admiral
    The Canal from Marco  / Goodland on 92 has supplied my Tackle box for a lot of years.
    Just look for the line hanging from the trees at the Pull Off Spots and get a free lure.
    Found a brand new rod combo not long ago with the price tag still on it , floating down current with a catfish hooked up.
    Poor fishing spot. Box Canal.
    Check out Sea grape Drive around the NPS HQ. Plenty of fish in their. Certain times of the year the Majorras would move in to spawn and the Snook , Nice ones would be all over the place.
    Crappie Jigs always worked for me on the Baby Tarpon...White only.
    If the water is flowing in front of 6 L Farms East Trail you can catch 20 Tarpon a day. I've caught over 50 but they were 10 to 20 inches long . Most are 3 to 8 pounds.

Killin and Grillin :grin