Sunday Afternoon West of Clearwater - Mahi, Trips, Mangs

Ran out Sunday afternoon and found floating log in 85ft.  Lots of Mahi and Tripletail. Got our limit and moved to a ledge in 90ft. Put the chum out and started to get a few nice mangos. Soon we had rainbow runners and big yellowtails behind the boat. Couldn't get them to eat. Dropped down to 20lb, 20 ft leader, 1/0 hook and got 1 huge YT to eat only for a goliath to come up and get him. So frustrating.  More Mahi showed up and found another school on a crab trap on the way in (~82ft).
Flat calm, water was hot @ 87.  Sabikid bait in 27ft - cigars, threads, pins

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'

Replies

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 52 Greenhorn
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,027 Officer
    3 of my favorite top 5 to eat, yum yum. looks like some fun sight fishing offshore!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,118 Moderator
    Triple Tail definitely on the "A" list for the dinner guests. Nice catch, was that log as big in person as it appeared in the pic? Hate to hit that running at night.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 718 Officer
    Triple Tail definitely on the "A" list for the dinner guests. Nice catch, was that log as big in person as it appeared in the pic? Hate to hit that running at night.
    yes its probably 15 ft long. it would definitely leave a mark!!
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,338 Officer
    Nice triple tail!
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 916 Officer
    Looks like a trip you'd have in the Keys. Awesome
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,811 AG
    Mmmmm tripletail!  

Great report.  Thanks for sharing.
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Tasty Catch! 
    Everglades 243
  • MaineOffShoreMaineOffShore Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Nice catch...I was running in closer than you were 40-50' and as I am going along wife says what is that...kind of looked like a jet ski turned over..we make our way to it and it is a huge stump and root system kind of looks like it belonged to your photo, had 1 triple tail under it but couldnt get it to bite.  We were off Clearwater as well.  We both had the same thought of running into that thing at night.
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    I was out with a charter captain many years ago.  We were probably 30 miles out and running probably 35 or so.  All of the sudden the boat lunged sideways.  We were 90 degrees to the water.  Water gushed into the boat and much of the stuff in the boat went in and we were all hanging on.  Fortunately, the captain had his hand on the throttle and shut it down.

We had hit a board (2 x 8) that was floating in the water and it lodged itself in between the motor and the transom.  It acted like a rudder and pushed the boat completely sideways. 

I always thought, what are the odds of that?  But, it happens.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 634 Officer
    hook_em said:
    I was out with a charter captain many years ago.  We were probably 30 miles out and running probably 35 or so.  All of the sudden the boat lunged sideways.  We were 90 degrees to the water.  Water gushed into the boat and much of the stuff in the boat went in and we were all hanging on.  Fortunately, the captain had his hand on the throttle and shut it down.

We had hit a board (2 x 8) that was floating in the water and it lodged itself in between the motor and the transom.  It acted like a rudder and pushed the boat completely sideways. 

I always thought, what are the odds of that?  But, it happens.
    This exact same situation happened to my great uncle while running inshore on the east coast.  He didn't make it.  He'd been running boats and commercial fishing for decades and knew what he was doing, but something like that can get the best of anyone.