Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crab traps

Thinking of getting some crab traps to set out while I am shrimping. Where is the best place to buy them? Would like to get ones that are good quality. Seen some reviews of the ones from academy and they say they rusted out in a year.

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,224 Admiral
    Find a commercial crabber and see what he will let you have his traps that he's removed from service for. Buy a set of ring pliers and some stainless rings and do some patching.

And fish them until they give up completely. 

Use sections of the ones that give up first to patch in the other ones just as you'd patch a net or as back in the old days we'd patch pants.

You'll be surprised how long they will last that way. And.......when someone steals one or two, or all of them, or runs the lines up into their prop and cuts the trap off in aggravation, or a severe tide event "moves" them such that you can not find them.....in those sorts of instances you're not out much.

One more thing. A crab WILL find his way out of a trap in poor condition, heck, often even out of a trap in good condition BUT he usually does not go looking for a way out until he's no longer attracted to the bait. Point being that for short sets where the bait will not end up getting eaten up by small crabs, pinfish, shrimp or whatever most of the crabs will not be looking to get out so the trap does not have to be a vault.

• StoneTempleStoneTemple Posts: 47 Deckhand
    http://www.wadavidson.com/

I buy all my stuff from this guy on St Augustine Rd.  Between Emerson and Philips.  

Traps, rope, floats, burlap sacks, baskets, fish boxes and more.  

He primarily sells large quantities to commercial but if you walk in he will sell you what ever you want.  

I currently have 10 traps and all the fixins that go with them.  All came from him.  Some are 10 years old and stay outside and show very little wear.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,506 AG
    W.A. Davidson in Jax.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,506 AG
    Never mind already posted
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    Thanks for the help