Fishing Deerfield Beach On Foot

BasstarBasstar Posts: 519 Officer
We are planning a fly in trip to Deerfield Beach next year late winter/ early spring and am debating whether or not to ship some fishing tackle there ahead of my arrival.

In addition to the pier, the beach itself, and Boca Inlet, are there any other areas within walking distance to fish?  

As of now I'm thinking I will fish the beach up and down for a mile or so in either direction.

Question:  Are there any areas of the inside waterway that are accessible by foot?

I typically fish ML spinning tackle with jigs heads, Gulp, or other plastics.

Thanks for any info.

P.S.  I'm not wanting any secret spots, honey holes, etc., simply a few beginning points and I can develop my plan from there

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,553 AG
    edited September 2019 #2
    you can hit underneath the bridge on spanish river road in Boca, but there is very little parking, might have to find a spot and walk.   The jetty on the inlet side rips, you'll probably lose a lot of lead in there trying to hold bottom it's fairly rocky.   you can't fish on the beach side i believe.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 305 Deckhand
    Get some live shiners and find the Hillsboro canal spillway. 
    Get some live shiners and find the Hillsboro canal spillway. 
    We used to do that on the canal right there next to FAU.    Snook on one side of the spillway, bass on the other.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 571 Officer
    Based on what you see from pier cam I'd start right there and get comfortable  
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 519 Officer
    Thanks folks.  I was hoping there were some areas to access the waterway behind the island as well.  I appreciate the info.
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Check out Lake Wyman park behind Publix on US1. Also fish the Camino Real Bridge with a heavy Mr. Whiffle Jig or live bait. Try to sneak out onto the north jetty on am outgoing tide and hit it with big bombers or a wind cheater. Walk the beach with a jig and your favorite plastic. 

Soda, I used to fish that spot as well. Catch a cichlid on one side and drop it on the other. First place I ever caught a snook on fly. 
  • HaroldCollierHaroldCollier Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    One Drop said:
    Check out Lake Wyman park behind Publix on US1. Also fish the Camino Real Bridge with a heavy Mr. Whiffle Jig or live bait. Try to sneak out onto the north jetty on am outgoing tide and hit it with big bombers or a wind cheater. Walk the beach with a jig and your favorite plastic. 

Soda, I used to fish that spot as well. Catch a cichlid on one side and drop it on the other. First place I ever caught a snook on fly. 

I agree with @One drop.
    Lake Wyman was wiped out last time i was down there in 2018 all the wooden pathways were gone I don't know if they have rebuilt them or not. 
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 224 Deckhand
    @Soda Popinski Really? From Irma?I have to check that out when I'm down in a couple weeks. 
    One Drop said:
    @Soda Popinski Really? From Irma?I have to check that out when I'm down in a couple weeks. 
    Yea I think so, we went down and looked and it was all gone not that long ago.  Less than a year.