Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Best 29-32 foot Center Console

I am in the market to upgrade to a 29 to 32 foot CC.  I spent the last 5 years learning in a 23 nauticstar.  I definately want something I can hit the ledge in with confidence.  So far, I have yellowfin, jupiter, seavee, cape horn and invincible on my radar.  Fishing is the priority.  Anyone have any thoughts they want to share?  My goal is to buy one a few years old instead of building one.  There are alot of gently used ones out there.  

Replies

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 471 Deckhand
    Priorities are:
    Confidence offshore, safety, fishability, dry, speed.
  • LunaseaLunasea Posts: 141 Deckhand
    This is almost like asking what is the best whiskey...   It is MOSTLY a matter of personal preference and opinion.  Some models are probably built a little better than some others, but these days almost all mainstream brands are adequate for safety.  Layouts vary widely, and are personal preference.  Re-sale value, if it matters to you, is easily researched.  Now, for my OPINION!  For the money, Cape Horn is hard to beat!  Structurally strong, nice looking, good, usable layouts, run good, as dry as any, good resale...  Not as "fancy" as some, but that suits my tastes better....
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,385 Officer
    How is Contender not at the top of your list.  Great hulls, more around than other brands.  Excellent re-sale.   Add em to list!
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    Beat me to it. Contender builds the most iconic 31 center console of all time. Why no mention?
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 359 Deckhand
    If you are willing/able to spend the coin on any of the top brands, you can hardly go wrong.  Climb on them all (boat shows are coming)  and take your pick.

The family, crew and I love my Everglades 290 pilot (soft doors and drop curtain stowed) but a lot of guys on the forums will poo-poo it for creature comforts...and if their family never gets on the boat, that’s ok for them. For me, I want to spend time with the family and if they are not comfortable I won’t get nearly enough days on the water.  I can fish with the best of them, then take the family and friends (with cocktails AND seating) to the sandbar or dockside restaurant without having everyone stand or sit on the coffin box.  Just sayin.

I’m not as fast as some, and I’m definitely heavier than most, but the ride is outstanding and she is won’t sink- May be hull up with me clinging to it but it’ll make a bigger profile in the water than me floating alone. . Not a small consideration when out 60 miles.

just my .02

good luck on the search- it’s a lot of fun. If you want to climb on mine, hit me up and we’ll make it happen.  Easier than going to Miami for the boat show.

2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
    Thank you guys
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,428 Officer
    32' Step Contender about the best all around boat for our area...great on fuel and fast as a mutha.  Those 31-32' Cape Horns are also battle wagons as well...they can hold their own.
  • TrapperTrapper Posts: 266 Deckhand
    I really enjoy a Yellowfin. I have fished on them for ten years, from a couple 34s to now the 36'. Two 34s were powered by Yamahas, and the 36' has Mercs. They are a joy to fish from, and I believe a 32' would perform similar to the 34'. Very dry ride. I love the lines of the boat which is probably why I love the way a Cape Horn looks and rides in the water. Haven't had the chance to board one yet, but they look very sexy. So my vote is YF or the Cape! That would be my upgrade from my 23 CC also. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited September 2019 #10
    Mirage
    Fished many many hours on one and traveled thousands of miles. Pretty solid Florida made boat.

Ride, range, room, reliability. It's a winning combination that puts our 32 miles ahead of any boat in its class. A fine entry and flared bow ensure a smooth, dry ride even in extreme conditions, making this boat ideal for offshore work.

Unique in her class, the 32 offers accommodations for four, including a stand-up shower and head. The hand-laid fiberglass hull is fully cored with structural PVC foam, making it extremely light yet tough.This makes the 32 quick to plane and economical to cruise, while at the same time creating one of the most durable boats on the water. Some of our boats are approaching 20 years of service with captains who run hard and fish often—and we expect these hulls to last for at least another two decades . Power options include an array of twin outboards and single or twin diesel I/Os. With a single 370 HP diesel I/O, the 32 will cruise 700 miles at 33 MPH on a single tank of fuel - power that’s smooth and quiet. Custom towers and cockpit layouts can be designed and built for the way you fish. With a 10-year hull warranty and and history to back it up, the Mirage 32 is a solid value that remains the first choice for experienced fishermen who demand the best

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,308 AG
    edited September 2019 #11
    Cape Horn are good lookin boats.   So are Contender and Everglades IMO.   If I had the kind of money it's going to take to even consider a SeaVee or Jupiter or Yellowfin I'd tape all 3 names to the wall and throw a dart you won't go wrong with any of them.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,519 Captain
    bicyclist said:
    Mirage
    Fished many many hours on one and traveled thousands of miles. Pretty solid Florida made boat.

Ride, range, room, reliability. It's a winning combination that puts our 32 miles ahead of any boat in its class. A fine entry and flared bow ensure a smooth, dry ride even in extreme conditions, making this boat ideal for offshore work.

Unique in her class, the 32 offers accommodations for four, including a stand-up shower and head. The hand-laid fiberglass hull is fully cored with structural PVC foam, making it extremely light yet tough.This makes the 32 quick to plane and economical to cruise, while at the same time creating one of the most durable boats on the water. Some of our boats are approaching 20 years of service with captains who run hard and fish often—and we expect these hulls to last for at least another two decades . Power options include an array of twin outboards and single or twin diesel I/Os. With a single 370 HP diesel I/O, the 32 will cruise 700 miles at 33 MPH on a single tank of fuel - power that’s smooth and quiet. Custom towers and cockpit layouts can be designed and built for the way you fish. With a 10-year hull warranty and and history to back it up, the Mirage 32 is a solid value that remains the first choice for experienced fishermen who demand the best

When I was looking for the same size boat a couple years ago, someone from here pointed me in the Mirage direction. Really nice rigs but not what I could get in and out of my shallow canal. Ended up with a Grady White. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Bam BamBam Bam Posts: 544 Officer
    You owe it to yourself to check out a Grady-White 306 Canyon.  Planes at 16mph, cant beat it for high speedin.  It is a beast of a boat and the ride will set the bar.  It isn't as fast (twin 350s 53mph loaded) but you'll be amazed at what it does when its rough.
  • big baitbig bait Posts: 426 Deckhand
    edited September 2019 #14
    MY top boats for our area,
    Contender
    Cap Horn
    Freeman 
    YellowFin

• deadbuckdeadbuck Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    buy my 18 yellowfin 32
    Deadbuck, i had responded to your YF ib the sale forum
    In the sale forum...
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,974 Captain
    Based on the price differences, Contender, YF, Invincible, and SeaVee are all similar in price. With that being the case, I would go with the SeaVee or YF. The quality is better than Contender, and Invincible seems too much like a Contender. They're nice, but the YF and SeaVee attention to detail isn't comparable at all. If I were to dump that kind of bread on a boat, I would rather feel like my boat is unique. Contenders are a dime a dozen.

Pathfinders too... My next boat will definitely not be a heavily marketed boat. After fishing this thing a while, I don't get what anyone sees in these boats. My next boat will be a Dorado 25. Pure hybrid is the only way to go for what I do.

Pathfinders too... My next boat will definitely not be a heavily marketed boat. After fishing this thing a while, I don't get what anyone sees in these boats. My next boat will be a Dorado 25. Pure hybrid is the only way to go for what I do.  

If you haven't already, take a look at Marauder Marine also.
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck

Never heard of that one. Ill have a look.

Never heard of that one. Ill have a look.
    Fished on 1 a few years back. Went from flats trout fishing to off the beach after Permit and Kingfish. Very versatile and a surprisingly good ride in the slop. Went with Capt. Brent Gaskill. I think he still runs the Avenger 24.
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    edited September 2019 #22
    Hmmm, that boat is super similar to the Dorado. The only thing not sitting well with me is the CC being positioned so far to the stern. I realize that this is a good thing when it comes down to the ride. Captain Chris Kell ordered a new Shaeffer 24. That's another killer option I'm still up in the air about.

Open space behind the leaning post is a huge priority for me after fishing this PF. The other thing that makes me think people at PF don't fish at all is the livewell layout. Both are square shaped and the bigger ones on the side of the stern. Fill that thing with water and the boat lists to one side all day which is a terrible design for a modern fishing boat. I had concerns about those things when I purchased the boat however, I got such a good deal that I figured Ill just sell the boat if I find too many problems with the layout.

The other issue, one that Mike Manier pointed out and I happen to agree with, PF put too short of a motor on the vessel. In rough water, the lower unit doesn't reach far enough into the water to trim the bow up properly. You take a lot of water over the bow. The boat rides like a really lite Skeeter. I think PF built this boat with a priority in the areas of speed and shallow draft. As a 23 foot boat though, I would rather it draft a tad more and ride better in waves and chop. After all, it is listed as a bay boat, not a technical skiff.

I couldn't imagine taking this thing offshore and getting caught in any kind of bad weather. It would take 10 years to get back to the ramp.
    You guys are talking about bay hybrids in this dudes 31' offshore boat thread?

Spending this kind of coin, you need to be careful who you listen to. Morroco for example, is afraid to leave the inlet, what does he know about an offshore boat?😆😘

The best thing is to actually go and ride in the boats you are interested in, or better yet, fish them. If you tell someone your interested in buying a boat like theirs, most will be flattered and willing to take you out and show off their strong points. Its time to ride, ride, and ride again! Then when you narrow it down to two or three, time to study them. Known issues, resale values, etc. When you get to this point, one of the best resources will be owners forums on Facebook, of the particular brands your interested in. You can ask your questions there and get several answers from owners of the particular vessel your interested in. 

Which ones are you fancying right now? I tear all of these boats apart on a daily basis, and have a service insight on most of them. Contenders, for example, may be "a dime a dozen" but that dime will hold strong for many years, unlike some of the others mentioned. I'll probably have about 110k in my 31 by the time it's done, get to enjoy it for two years, and still sell for over 150k if the market stays like it is now.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Of your choices...I'd go with a SEA-VEE.......nice boats and easy to fish with great re-sale value.....laid out fisherman friendly. 

• Fatbackdurham1Fatbackdurham1 SomewhereotherthanherePosts: 37 Greenhorn
    Can't go wrong with a SeaVee, Freeman, or Yellowfin. I'm partial of course to YF, owning two of them. Ain't none of them cheap, tho.

My best advice is to take your time and buy used. Give your family the extra hundred grand you saved. 
    edited September 2019 #26

Spending this kind of coin, you need to be careful who you listen to. Morroco for example, is afraid to leave the inlet, what does he know about an offshore boat?😆😘

Ive been on enough to see the differences. Yes I'm talking Bay boats however, all the brands in question make bay boats and the quality is the same across all of their models. All that matters. I know quite a few people with YF's and Contenders. Ive also fished out of a SeaVee before. and when I ask what the hype is about, I hear the same things.

Contender is a good boat, I never said it wasn't. They're just not worth what they cost. They market their boats like they're top shelf however, they are not even remotely in league with Seavee or Yellowfin. Sorry bro, they're not. I know your about to drop new boat money on an old boat like you always do and this strikes a nerve for you because your newest money pit happens to be a Contender.

I know you think that old PF is famous as you can't stop saying it. Its definitely famous. Its the most expensive 2003 TRS ever built. Just because you CAN do something, that doesn't mean its a good idea.

Hows that charter business coming along Gerald? Get the background check before you take the class next time. The disappointment costs less that way.

#YoubuildItRightBecauseYouBuildItTwice.

edited September 2019 #27
    Background check? Thats slander, though hilarious. You should do one. Worst thing I've ever gotten is a speeding ticket lol. I won't embarrass you bringing up your background. With my growing business, the money from chartering didn't make sense, though I'd love to be living life on the water.

New money on an old boat? I've made money on every boat I've ever touched. You must have missed the part I stand to make 50k plus on this boat after enjoying it a couple years. This Contender is another highly profitable investment.

That Pathfinder is still on TV on a regular basis. Besides the statewide build contest it won, and main features on tv shows, it's still on the world wide fishing network's main tv commercial, every day. I turned a big profit on that boat, you sound like an idiot.

Anyhoo, let's not pollute this post any more! I just wish happy hunting and good luck to the OP! Buying is always the happiest day, followed only by its sale, so they say.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Joy-SeaJoy-Sea Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Why is a guy that doesn’t fish outside the jetties judging offshore boats? Are you riding contenders, see vee, and yellowfins in the icw? Chill out and keep taking your friends fishing catching redfish and calling them charters. And ps you might want to get a scale. Those 5 pound flounder and sheepshead are not 10-12 pounds. 😂😂😂😂 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡 Boatronnics vs kooklogics
    Does anyone have any experience with Yellowfin 29?  I feel like that is a great boat without going all the way up to the 33.  Is the 29 a true offshore boat?  
    shallowv said:
    Does anyone have any experience with Yellowfin 29?  I feel like that is a great boat without going all the way up to the 33.  Is the 29 a true offshore boat?  
    Yes it is. If I could afford one it would be on my lift instead of the Grady. 
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    I am going to sea trial one, somehow those gunnels look low to me, but wont know until I stand at the rail.  Thx