Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Upper keys guides

rjmckenna2005rjmckenna2005 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 32 Greenhorn
Hey all, heading to Key Largo for a long weekend in the beginning of November. Looking to get three of us out in the back country. Any recommendations on guides? Were not savvy on fly but wouldn’t mind giving it a shot but not looking for fly specific trip. Thanks for any info on this. 

Also, any tips on fishing the bridges at night? Certains channels, baits, techniques? I do a ton of bridge/pier/surf fishing here in SW FL. Anything different i should know about? Thanks again guys. Keep em tight!

Replies

• rjmckenna2005rjmckenna2005 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    Anything at all?!  Have to imagine someone has some info to help....
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Look up “Florida keys wooden boat fishing” on YouTube and you’ll see all the info, where and how to’s you’ll ever need for fishing the keys bridges. 
  • bluewater00bluewater00 Posts: 136 Deckhand
    like flounder said, his videos are pretty good. Do your research on the backcountry guides, you can head to world wide sportsman in Islamorada. They have the guides docked out back ready to rock and roll. As far as the bridges, by boat and by land are two different animals. Tough by land but you can catch some nice snapper, etc. By boat, use lots of chum, allow for a block an hour. sweeten the slick with cut up frozen sardines or pilchards. Work the current breaks behind the pilings, that is where most fish lay out of the current. cant go wrong with live shrimp but cut squid and mullet works also.
  • boodahraeboodahrae Jupiter, FlPosts: 24 Deckhand
    Captain Lain Goodwin of Dirty Water Charters. # is 305-304-2212. Check out his website. I have chartered with him into the back country twice so far and am planning another trip with him in October. One of the best in Key Largo with great local knowledge. He put me on upper slot Snook both trips, one under very tough rainy and windy conditions. I have also limited out on Sea Trout and caught a bunch of big Jacks with him as well. He is a pro, has patience, and I learned a few tricks from him also. Good luck!!!
  • longfin61longfin61 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    call Capt Jaun on this website out of Islamorada 3052970438
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 378 Deckhand
    Capt Goodwin very  good as is Capt Rusty Albury 305 664 1296. With 3 people fishing you are best off with live bait. Capt Albury has live bait pens for pilchards and pin fish and will get you a limit of snapper in addition to snook and reds . He is an expert fly fisherman, but a skiff with 4 people  not best place to learn.
  • rjmckenna2005rjmckenna2005 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys for all the replies! Much appreciated! Keep em tight!