Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Last of the shrimp?

I'm heading to green cove right now...would like a few more before they get washed out.  Maybe drs inlet in the morning or at least mandarin area. Anyone else?

Replies

• creekhunter1creekhunter1 Starke, FlPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    Let me know how you do me and the wife might try it out tmrw if its worth it and good luck 
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,120 Officer
    Got better than half a bucket.  Didn't cull too much. We only really found reasonable numbers on the SE side of the bridge right along the big drop between 19 and 21 ft.  5yrds east or west and you could only get a few. We prospected west side and north of bridge but they were far too spread out.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,120 Officer
    We were on last of outgoing....
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,241 Officer
    edited August 2019 #5
    Got a limit last night near green cove off a dock in about an hour. 

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,167 Admiral
    creekgeek said:
    If I may make a suggestion..........

If you will use crushed ice and mix it in with the shrimp LIBERALLY, even to the point of the shrimp being in slush water, immediately as you catch them there are some benefits. First one is that even a couple of hours after you catch them the veins in most if not almost all of them will pull out with the head. Second one is that for the ones you plan to freeze for bait the heads will not have started to turn and therefore they will hold better.

Beyond that you will buy yourself a couple of extra days that you can keep them in the refrigerator which gives time to eat more of them fresh.

With 90 degree water and 90 degree air things start to go south fast so the sooner and better you ice up is a plus.

If you'll do the ice thing you'll see that the shrimp look just as if they came out of the water when you get home. Those in the picture are already showing signs of being dead and warm too long. 

It's the old fishmonger in me that argues for taking the best care of things as possible.
    Bswiv is right. Get those shrimp on ice as quick as possible. Try and make sure you mix the ice up too. To me this is where a lot of people go wrong with shrimp they don’t care for the right and the get a bad fishy taste to them. In my opinion if any seafood has what people say is a fishy taste to it it wasn’t taken care of or cleaned properly. Even when I clean my shrimp or fish I keep ice on them up until the point that I’m going to freeze them. With shrimp I mix them with ice then I put a layer of ice on top and pull the drain plug so melted water drains off. This process seems to clean them some what to. 
  • creekhunter1creekhunter1 Starke, FlPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    Thnks creekgeek will go this evening and give em a shot
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    bswiv said:
    creekgeek said:
    If I may make a suggestion..........

If you will use crushed ice and mix it in with the shrimp LIBERALLY, even to the point of the shrimp being in slush water, immediately as you catch them there are some benefits. First one is that even a couple of hours after you catch them the veins in most if not almost all of them will pull out with the head. Second one is that for the ones you plan to freeze for bait the heads will not have started to turn and therefore they will hold better.

Beyond that you will buy yourself a couple of extra days that you can keep them in the refrigerator which gives time to eat more of them fresh.

With 90 degree water and 90 degree air things start to go south fast so the sooner and better you ice up is a plus.

If you'll do the ice thing you'll see that the shrimp look just as if they came out of the water when you get home. Those in the picture are already showing signs of being dead and warm too long. 

It's the old fishmonger in me that argues for taking the best care of things as possible.
    Even better if you can use a little salt water to make your slush. If you don't have salt water, just add rock salt to your slush.
    We're setting a few baits off the dock here in Fruit Cove now......though do not expect much.
    bswiv said:
    We're setting a few baits off the dock here in Fruit Cove now......though do not expect much.
    They didn’t start running good until right at high tide last night. Then it was game on. 
    We just quit.....got about 6 pounds HEADED of the better ones. Tossed about 40% of what we caught back. Tide has just started moving in good here at 10:00 so it may well get great later. With the storm moving away from us I think we'll get a incoming tide chance soon.