Home General Hunting

No gator harvest results?

Replies

• GrimlockGrimlock Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Holy cow, that gator is rediculous.   I got my first gator this year. 8' 9". 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,571 Captain
    Here's another lake O 11 ft bull from last night for the Indian outlaw... 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    edited August 2019 #34
    I haven't been yet, so missed my first week of opportunity.  I scouted pretty well.  But I should have scouted the county I chose before selecting it...
    I chose a county permit close to me.  I have to consider that I'm getting ready for archery season which is way more important to me and I'm already having to drive hours for that.  I know how to find a gator and figured I'd have minimal time invested for success.  And figured I could do it close to home.
    Well, when I finally figure out where the heck the rules for my county permit are spelled out, it seems the best options are excluded.  There's actually only really one good option imo because all the ponds and lakes, it seems, are on private land.  So the county regs, say this creek and that creek are approved.  Ok.  Except they a literal creeks, the first one half dry and is probably a dry ditch the rest of the year.  The others have no openings where the current slows down.  No lakes, no ponds, no lagoons.  Plus, we've had so much water, if the currents had been any faster in the other creeks, it would have been impossible for me to paddle upstream.
    So, the only option as I see it is to use bait, which I hadn't intended on.  But I'm going to sit upstream from the excluded lake... when the wind direction is conducive and my schedule allows, when the later part of the season is open. 
    Oh well....
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,873 Captain
    I went out solo Saturday night in Belle Glade. I saw a bunch of small gators and only 2 with any size. I spooked my best shot around 2am and called it a night. This hurricane has pretty much ruined phase 3 for me. To make it all even better - I left a Brand New Superstick push pole at the ramp! I didn't realize it till yesterday. I'm hoping to get another chance to go tonight or tomorrow.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,089 Captain
    but the memories of taking this animal with my son couldn’t be any more fulfilling had it been 17 feet long. 

Your words I left up there says it all...

Send my congratulations to Mason!

and awesome job Dad!

• HuckHuck Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    We hunted marion county three nights, very high water on oklawaha. Found the same on legally accessible lakes. The good ones like George are special permit.
    Best we came across was 5-6', all the good ones are way up in timber. Thought about going in on foot but huntin buddies rather not.
    DON’T SING IT, BRING IT!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,600 Captain
    Got out for the first time last night. We struck out on tags this year but my buddy drew our favorite spot. Took his young son out for his first time.
    Normally would have cut this one loose but decided to give the boy the full experience. Good stuff. 8’3” good eats.

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Finally got out and released some tension.  Hard waiting till phase 4 to crank it up.  Started with a young lady that had yet to break 10 ft.  Last two years they came up 9 11 and a bobtail.  So this year we live caught it and measured it before dispatch.  10'6" Finally.  Then came some friends in town.  Got them an 11' and a 10'5" .  With the pressure off I took out my wife and son to take a peek at her tags.  Found an 11 that for a while I was questioning on letting go.  She does not like to spend lots of time hunting so she make the call to put it in the boat.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,179 Admiral
    Very nice. We're sitting on our ONLY 2 tags waiting for the water to drop up here. Been making ourselves feel better by catching shrimp.
    bswiv said:
    Very nice. We're sitting on our ONLY 2 tags waiting for the water to drop up here. Been making ourselves feel better by catching shrimp.
    Hard to sit back and wait. Experience tells you it is best but if I did not have other stuff to keep me busy I would go stir crazy Gator equipment sales slowing down and had some people that were scheduled to come in from other states. At least those tags were for areas that the water levels do not impact as much.

Part of me wants to just get done early and hunt archery.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,500 Captain
    bgeorge said:
    bswiv said:
    Hard to sit back and wait. Experience tells you it is best but if I did not have other stuff to keep me busy I would go stir crazy Gator equipment sales slowing down and had some people that were scheduled to come in from other states. At least those tags were for areas that the water levels do not impact as much.

Part of me wants to just get done early and hunt archery.  
    I gotta kill 2 gators fast and get to ducks and rifle deer.....I feel your angst. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    Because of the lack of opportunity (ie access) in the county I drew, I'm totally deflated about it.  Mostly counting my losses.  At this stage in the game, all I really care about is archery.  If the moons align, I'll take 2 or three opportunities through oct.  Just p'd I didn't do my due diligence before dropping significant money on these tags.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 924 Officer
    Spangler-- Did you say the county you drew?  If you don't want to post, send me a pm.  I have a couple private spots that hold gators, and only one set of tags...
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,873 Captain
    edited September 2019 #45
    I got my first gator solo! The hurricane scared off my buddies during phase 3 but I was determined to go. I had an adventure Saturday night that ended with a $600 Tow Boat ride and no gator. I couldn't find anyone to go again on Wednesday night, so I did it solo again. I knew it was going to be a good night when I found out my lost Push Pole was turned into to Slim's Fish Camp!
    I went to a new area and found a bunch of good size gators. I spooked my main target right before dark & decided to go find another one while I still had a little light. I ran until the creek closed out with lilly pads etc... As I turned the boat around, I saw a bubble trail. As I tossed my snatch hook for the first time, I was thinking "I wonder if I'll know when I get a gator." At that very moment I knew, I just hooked a gator! I stuck it in the tail. After about 30 minutes of wrestling I realized I drown the gator. I tried to grab the front foot and it made a last attempt to bite me. I was kinda glad it was still alive. I still wanted to harpoon it and use the bang stick. I got it all done and I was the first boat back to the ramp! 
    I was lucky to meet a couple locals that took my picture for me at the gas station, lol! The gator measured out 8'5. I cleaned it myself to fulfill the mission.

Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,600 Captain
    Um.. WOW!!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    Nice.  One thing I use when trying to do it all is the speargun.  We make an adapter that will put the darts onto the shaft and when you bring them in on the rod you can pick up the gun and pull the trigger driving the dart. 

Kind of brings back some memories when we cleaned out a McDonalds one night when my mother got her first one and we went there for the lights to take a few pictures.  

Ouch on the tow.  I got a call at 1am the other night and had to drive an hour and half to lake the other night to pull a friend off Kissimmee.  30 min into a new motor it cooked with 3 others on board.  Good thing for cell phones sending pins so I could find them without to much issue.  
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,401 Officer
    edited September 2019 #48
    Good stuff Reel Mullarkey...except for the $600 tow bill and almost getting bit part.  Dang.

Those are some dandies bgeorge....y'all got that pose down.  Nice pics.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Nice work Bgeorge! Thanks for the pics!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Bgeorge crushes. Good job brother 

The year of killing baby gators continues. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The permit holders are happy. 
    H20dad said:

All in what they want.  Got a person with permits to a place where we can kill big but the guy wants hides for product.  Live catch and make sure hides are good before dispatch. 
    Bill:

Got to like a guy that has his priorities!! Big is exciting but to have someone who knows what quality is when it comes to actually USING what he harvests for personal needs your guy gets it.
    bgeorge said:
    H20dad said:

All in what they want.  Got a person with permits to a place where we can kill big but the guy wants hides for product.  Live catch and make sure hides are good before dispatch. 
    Mmmm belly skin. 
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 193 Deckhand
    I got my first gator solo! The hurricane scared off my buddies during phase 3 but I was determined to go. I had an adventure Saturday night that ended with a $600 Tow Boat ride and no gator. I couldn't find anyone to go again on Wednesday night, so I did it solo again. I knew it was going to be a good night when I found out my lost Push Pole was turned into to Slim's Fish Camp!
    I went to a new area and found a bunch of good size gators. I spooked my main target right before dark & decided to go find another one while I still had a little light. I ran until the creek closed out with lilly pads etc... As I turned the boat around, I saw a bubble trail. As I tossed my snatch hook for the first time, I was thinking "I wonder if I'll know when I get a gator." At that very moment I knew, I just hooked a gator! I stuck it in the tail. After about 30 minutes of wrestling I realized I drown the gator. I tried to grab the front foot and it made a last attempt to bite me. I was kinda glad it was still alive. I still wanted to harpoon it and use the bang stick. I got it all done and I was the first boat back to the ramp! 
    I was lucky to meet a couple locals that took my picture for me at the gas station, lol! The gator measured out 8'5. I cleaned it myself to fulfill the mission.

Im sure you figured it out now, but always use the bangstick then cut the spine. Your hand and/or life arent worth saving a $0.40 bullet. 

I dont know that Ive ever heard of a gator legitimately drowning themselves unless tangled up to something underwater. 

Im sure you figured it out now, but always use the bangstick then cut the spine. Your hand and/or life arent worth saving a $0.40 bullet. 

I dont know that Ive ever heard of a gator legitimately drowning themselves unless tangled up to something underwater. 
    Drowned a 10 footer last year when both my harpoon and bang stick malfunctioned. Kept hitting it with both. He kept biting both underwater and finally had some convulsions and never moved again. Pulled him in slowly mouth open dead as a hammer. Didn’t think it was possible either until it happened. 
    Well Really got her a big one last night.  She wanted over 10ft this year and had already done it.  Then went out last night and found this toad.  Got one hook on it when it made a few bubbles just outside of a swampy area.  Buddy got a hook on it and then it moved about 20 ft and squatted.  Put another rod on it and we could not budge it one inch off the bottom.  Told the young lady that this one was good enough and to harpoon if given the chance.  Let slack in my pole and got out the 20/0 and rope.  Lowered it and got it on him.  Started to pull him up and all we could see was tail.  Told her to harpoon it and it went crazy bending the driver and not getting the dart in.  Made a run back to the swamp and I was holding on with all I had.  When it got to the reeds my buddies line broke and it was pulling us fast towards a down tree.  Told them to hold on as we were going to hit it hard.  When we hit it I was holding as tight as I could and it started thrashing on the other side of the tree.  In my mind all I could think is get a dart in it.  Then after a minute it started to move back towards open water.  Got another rod back in him and worked hard to get him back up.  Told buddy to harpoon and get it as far forward as he could.  Started to feel down gator and then got it stuck.  Pulled hard and it was in.  Managed to get him back to the surface with ropes and then used a 6ft gaff to feel around and work to get head up for bangstick.  Young lady hit him perfect and dead.  We could no longer get his head up.  Managed to get his tail up and snared around it and had to drag him back to the boat trailer.  In trying to load it in boat the three of us could not get it done.  Had to call for help.  Ended up winching it up on the trailer and then rolling him back onto the deck and into the boat.  

There is nothing easy when it comes to big gators.  After pics we took to processor and it was another long chore to get him out and in the cooler.  Tape at the cooler has him at 13ft 5in.  Told young lady these gators to not come around very often.  She wanted to get a 3 footer next for full body mount.  Told her I would let her take one on one of our polk county tags and we would get another good one on her second tag.  

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,571 Captain
    A few dinosaurs this year! Good work!
    bgeorge said:
    Well Really got her a big one last night.  She wanted over 10ft this year and had already done it.  Then went out last night and found this toad.  Got one hook on it when it made a few bubbles just outside of a swampy area.  Buddy got a hook on it and then it moved about 20 ft and squatted.  Put another rod on it and we could not budge it one inch off the bottom.  Told the young lady that this one was good enough and to harpoon if given the chance.  Let slack in my pole and got out the 20/0 and rope.  Lowered it and got it on him.  Started to pull him up and all we could see was tail.  Told her to harpoon it and it went crazy bending the driver and not getting the dart in.  Made a run back to the swamp and I was holding on with all I had.  When it got to the reeds my buddies line broke and it was pulling us fast towards a down tree.  Told them to hold on as we were going to hit it hard.  When we hit it I was holding as tight as I could and it started thrashing on the other side of the tree.  In my mind all I could think is get a dart in it.  Then after a minute it started to move back towards open water.  Got another rod back in him and worked hard to get him back up.  Told buddy to harpoon and get it as far forward as he could.  Started to feel down gator and then got it stuck.  Pulled hard and it was in.  Managed to get him back to the surface with ropes and then used a 6ft gaff to feel around and work to get head up for bangstick.  Young lady hit him perfect and dead.  We could no longer get his head up.  Managed to get his tail up and snared around it and had to drag him back to the boat trailer.  In trying to load it in boat the three of us could not get it done.  Had to call for help.  Ended up winching it up on the trailer and then rolling him back onto the deck and into the boat.  

There is nothing easy when it comes to big gators.  After pics we took to processor and it was another long chore to get him out and in the cooler.  Tape at the cooler has him at 13ft 5in.  Told young lady these gators to not come around very often.  She wanted to get a 3 footer next for full body mount.  Told her I would let her take one on one of our polk county tags and we would get another good one on her second tag.  

Got my blood pressure up with that!!

Really good looking one too.

Water up here is even higher than it was last week......and we've got wind.......so we're frustrated. Fortunately we've got fire lines to prep, roads to mow and shrimp to catch, so we're a little distracted. Still, the adrenaline rush of realizing you've got a REALLY good one at the end of the line....love that.
    Water has been dropping here.  Still lots of marsh and woods with plenty of water in them   Big gators still up in and hunting.  This one came out for the last of the evening sun.  This was a pit that gave us some relief from the breeze.  Still lots of time in the season and conditions will improve minus a big storm event.  All I could think about when the last one was heading this way is home much water was going to be dumped in the st johns and how long it was going to take it to get out JAX.
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Hunted Crescent this weekend. Water extremely high. Minimal gator movement, and what was moving was 8' or less, with a couple of exceptions. My question is this. In my mind, we haven't had enough rain  to make the water come up this high, is it water that has been dumped on central florida making its way up and out of the river, or is it pushed into the river with all the NE winds we've been having? Be great to have an educated answer, frustrating either way.