Want to buy a rice cooker. Do you have any suggestions?

So tired of overcooking and burning rice every time I try to cook it that's why decided to buy an automatic cooker. Please, let me know about your experience of using them.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,089 Admiral
    edited October 1 #2
    I posted as the number 8 post and it jumped up to number 2. Never seen that before. So I got back in line.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 438 Deckhand
    i tried one years ago. it was more of a hassle than just cooking the rice in a pot. i have a little wind up timer that i use. 1 rice, 2 water. tbs butter, tsp salt, bring to boil, turn down to simmer,  cover for 20 min.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I cook rice in a pot, a cheap rice cooker and have a zojirushi (or whatever the name is.) Bought an 8qt instant pot from best buy ($40 deal of the day) a couple weeks ago and I've discovered, among all the things it does, it's a great rice cooker. Will probably throw out the old style specialty cookers.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,934 Admiral
    Buy it now before you have a three day waiting period....
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Yea  a pot really you don't need a rice cooker. Its sol easy to cook . The wife like hers crunchy off the bottom of the pan.  Me I make whats called perfect rice unless I am making rice for my wife. 
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 266 Deckhand
    You know 2 cups rice 4 cups water salt and a dash of olive oil. Once it boils turn down stir cover let simmer about 20 min. Stir should be done or about done. Turn off leave covered. 2 cans beans, 1/4lb bacon, 1/4 onion sazon seasoning Caribbean.  Cook bacon and onions in smaĺ pan with a spòn or two olive oil and
     salt  spoon of garlick spoon or 2 of Saxon fry for a little bit in pot with the bacon grease  and oil before you add 2 cans of beans, apple cider vinegar  is optional about a shot glaß 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,089 Admiral
    edited October 1 #8
    Married to a Asian and rice is cooked just about everyday in our house. I always just used a pot myself but most Asians use rice cookers. I guess the set it and forget it rule is why. We have a Cusinart but it is no different than a cheaper Aroma brand. The high tech ones are just overkill IMO. With a rice cooker use their cups and fill lines for measurement and you can't go wrong although after a while you can use the knuckle method for measuring and come up with the same results. The thing with rice cookers is that you must wash the rice a few times until the water runs clear prior to cooking.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,259 Officer
    hossmoss said:
    I cook rice in a pot, a cheap rice cooker and have a zojirushi (or whatever the name is.) Bought an 8qt instant pot from best buy ($40 deal of the day) a couple weeks ago and I've discovered, among all the things it does, it's a great rice cooker. Will probably throw out the old style specialty cookers.
    So, scratch the instapot for rice. It works, but after the novelty wore off, I've decided that it's much easier and quicker to just use my tried and true rice pot with a tight lid for minimal evaporation and about an inch of water above the rice. Rinse the rice, add water to an inch above the rice and steam over low heat for about 20 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork. If I need to hold the rice for a while, I put a towel under the lid to keep the rice from continuing to absorb liquid and get mushy. Never fails. Even better if you pilaf the rice first.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s