Little Gasparilla Island Help?

I will be traveling over with my family from the east coast to stay on little Gasparilla Island for the last week of August. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with bait suggestions and fishing approach for this new area. I have a 19’ Scout flats boat and we do some sight fishing for reds and trout on the east coast. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,141 Captain
    Placida, bull's bay, turtle bay, catfish creek.
    Enjoy.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,655 AG
    Jug Creek flats near Bokeelia.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 654 Officer
    Break out google maps and look at the flats, where the sand spots are, due to the heat, don't rule out night fishing, snook and trout have big eyes for a reason.  Find the docks with lights, watch and listen to see which ones are active.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,326 Admiral
    Little Gasparilla Island has dozens of docks on the bay side. Fishing them especially at night can be very productive. Remember in this area ALL Reds, Sea Trout and  Snook must be released unharmed. Also while leaving your boat tied up over night remove your GPS, fishing poles and expensive coolers as they may grow legs before morning and disappear.
  • CaptDavidGonzalezCaptDavidGonzalez Atlanta/SarasotaPosts: 35 Greenhorn
    Why didn't you suggest the Keys? Jeez man.
  • seadeuce72seadeuce72 Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the help and insight. I’ve heard netting white bait is the way to go down there is that true? We don’t fish much structure so I usually run 10lb braid and 20lb fluorocarbon leader. I’d assume I need to step the leader size up to 30lb for the dock lights. Does that sound about right? Thanks again
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,141 Captain
    I'd stick with 20# fluoro around the lights... the water is clear and the fish get a lot of pressure.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,655 AG
    Why didn't you suggest the Keys? Jeez man.
    Because the Keys is six or more hours away, Bokeelia is 20mins or so depending where on LGI he is staying, and Keith already posted several areas closer to LGI to try.  Just giving him another option in case he strikes out closer to home.
  • seadeuce72seadeuce72 Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    kmagnuss said:
    I'd stick with 20# fluoro around the lights... the water is clear and the fish get a lot of pressure.
    Thanks for the help 
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,326 Admiral
    Forget white bait. There's no skill or challenge in that. Go with arti's