Trying to decide on a new used truck...help would be appreciated.

RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,479 Officer

OK…I’m going to pull the trigger on a new used truck 2015-2018. I think I’m to the point of choosing between the F150 and the Toyota Tundra. I would like to have a 4x4 but it’s not a necessity, my budget is 35K…crew cab is a must and I’m stuck on a V8 (not feeling the ecoboost). Looking for input from owners of both or firsthand knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,655 AG
    edited August 13 #2
    My brother-in-law made the switch from the F150 to the Tundra.  He had the V-8 in both, and could not be more happy with the switch.

The Tundra is a much nicer ride, but it is 10 years newer, which is to be expected.   Haven't ridden in a new F150 so can't comment there.

Good luck.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,638 Captain
    I've always driven Fords with great luck. Do not buy one that shuts off at every stop.
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 375 Deckhand
    My answer to your other thread in case you did not see it.

We have a 2016 tundra v8 (4.7L) 4x4 at work and a new 2018 4x4 ford v8 (5L). The tundra sucks, 13 mpg highway, the contrast on the gauges is such that I can't see them without leaning in and wearing my cheaters, you can't charge anything with the keys off, it feels tinny and the door hinges and latches make my VWs look like a tank.

The Ford gets 24 highway, is nice inside, has no issues with interior layout, etc. and seems to have plenty of power to pull a boat, loaded trailers, etc.

I like the Ford ten times better than the Toyota.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,417 Captain
    I have a 14 tundra and am very happy. A fraction of the problems my 03 Tahoe had
    You should have been here yesterday
    I've always driven Fords with great luck. Do not buy one that shuts off at every stop.
    I got used to that. Not an issue.
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,746 Captain
    I think prior to the 2019 model that feature was only on the Ecoboost trucks.  Starting in 2019 it is on all F-150's I believe.
    Ecoboost is turbo. Free power! No reason not to have an intercooled turbo. The Cummins and VWs have very reliable ones, not sure about Ford.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,657 AG
    is there a reason Chevy/GMC and Ram have been ruled out?  or Nissan?   I've had great luck with all of these trucks, and the GM and Ram lines both have pretty solid V8 motors.   No idea about the Nissan though. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,240 Captain
    We use chevys for our work trucks, Ford Transits for the service guys. We tried the Tundras when thy first came out. Never, never again. They might be fine for mom to drive to the soccer game, but when when we added racks and utility beds, and kept them loaded up, we had constant problems. Our 1500 HD’s towed a lot better than the Tundas did also.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,527 Admiral

Not in your class but have always had a Toyota Tacoma truck in the driveway since 98'  Excellent build quality and reliability.  However, I'm pretty disappointed with the brand new 2018 model I got regarding reliability, been back to dealership twice for a few problems.  Time will tell I guess. 

What the hell is with the shutting off of the engines these days when stopped?!?!?  Are they that desperate to squeeze every little drop of fuel to get better MPG??  First time I witnessed this at a stop light I thought the dude was almost out of gas and shut it off to make it to a gas station.

• smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,579 Captain
    is there a reason Chevy/GMC and Ram have been ruled out?  or Nissan?   I've had great luck with all of these trucks, and the GM and Ram lines both have pretty solid V8 motors.   No idea about the Nissan though. 
    RAM is great if you're ready for it to implode in 6 years. interior crack, fall apart, pieces rusted.
    Chevy - Not much different than Ford except less on the power front. Reliability is a bit less and interior is just being updated. 
    Nissan - no experience, but last I looked they hadn't updated their styling/interior in years.

Ford is the "tinny" one. All aluminum body means dents everywhere, expensive bodywork, but great mileage. Interior is nice and power is impressive in the ecoboost.

Toyota - Legendary reliability, highest resale value, hell of a work truck. Mileage is terrible. Interior is decent. 
    smallboat said:
    RAM is great if you're ready for it to implode in 6 years. interior crack, fall apart, pieces rusted.
    Chevy - Not much different than Ford except less on the power front. Reliability is a bit less and interior is just being updated. 
    Nissan - no experience, but last I looked they hadn't updated their styling/interior in years.

Ford is the "tinny" one. All aluminum body means dents everywhere, expensive bodywork, but great mileage. Interior is nice and power is impressive in the ecoboost.

Toyota - Legendary reliability, highest resale value, hell of a work truck. Mileage is terrible. Interior is decent. 
    I have a 2012 Ram 112k miles and nothing wrong with the interior.  No rust.   Hasn't imploeded yet   Have you owned one?  I have had a Toyota and my FJ was the clunkiest POS I've ever owned, plastic feeling, cheap junk.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,479 Officer
    I used a buddy's 2015 Silverado to pull my boat to the Keys a couple months ago...fell in love with the truck. Told myself this it...this is what I'm going to get. Then the GMC's caught my eye...I really liked them. Started researching and found a lot of transmission issues with the GMs...I  mean a LOT! Scared me away. 

I just don't care the Rams...there's just something about them I don't like. 

Keep the comments coming...I appreciate it!
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 8,171 Admiral
    smallboat said:

I have a 2012 Ram 112k miles and nothing wrong with the interior.  No rust.   Hasn't imploeded yet   Have you owned one?  I have had a Toyota and my FJ was the clunkiest POS I've ever owned, plastic feeling, cheap junk.   
    People just repeat what they hear.  

All my Fords were the most maintenance-intensive vehicles I've ever owned.
    Redaction said:
    I used a buddy's 2015 Silverado to pull my boat to the Keys a couple months ago...fell in love with the truck. Told myself this it...this is what I'm going to get. Then the GMC's caught my eye...I really liked them. Started researching and found a lot of transmission issues with the GMs...I  mean a LOT! Scared me away. 

I just don't care the Rams...there's just something about them I don't like. 

Keep the comments coming...I appreciate it!
    On the GMCs the only experience I have is from  us owning a 2003 Yukon XL 8 passenger SUV.   it had the 5.3 V8 and it was a great family vehicle.   We put 160k miles on it and never got stranded, never had any transmission issues.   
    But I don't know about the new ones. I have a buddy with a 2014 Silverado he loves it.   Trailers his boat to the keys and to Ft myers twice a year.   I would drive them all and then decide.   
    smallboat said:

Hell of a work truck? How do you define work? Drive it to the site and back everyday? Ours were actually used as work trucks. Loaded with tools and material, tool boxes or utility beds, driven through sand and mud, actually worked way harder than most trucks. We owned Chevy s, Fords, Gm’s, and some Tundras. They broke down way more, had waaaaay more issues carrying the load, and were worse on gas that our K2500’s. How many Tundras do you see that are actually work trucks going down the road everyday? How many fleet Tundras do you see. There’s a reason for that, and it ain’t because they cost more. They’re fine for soccer moms and driving to the office pretending you need a truck, though. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,610 Admiral
    I've owned a lot of Ford trucks over the years and they have never given me a reason to give up on them, most of the earlier ones I bought used cause I was broke, I liked to find one that was in good condition with 100k on it cause you could get it dirt cheap and put another 100k on it and sell it for 1/2 what you paid for it almost, the more recent ones I bought new and kept for anywhere from 110k to 195 k. My last '04 had the 4.2 V6 and had 195k on it. Did I never have to do any repairs to it? Of course I did, some front end work, brakes, radiator flush and other basic repairs I think most any vehicle would need. I now have a 2018 2.7 Ecoboost and I'm sold so far. Tons of power and incredible gas mileage and it is my first 4x4 too. So far I'm loving it but, the engine stopping is annoying, fortunately that can be overridden.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    pottydoc said:
    smallboat said:

Hell of a work truck? How do you define work? Drive it to the site and back everyday? Ours were actually used as work trucks. Loaded with tools and material, tool boxes or utility beds, driven through sand and mud, actually worked way harder than most trucks. We owned Chevy s, Fords, Gm’s, and some Tundras. They broke down way more, had waaaaay more issues carrying the load, and were worse on gas that our K2500’s. How many Tundras do you see that are actually work trucks going down the road everyday? How many fleet Tundras do you see. There’s a reason for that, and it ain’t because they cost more. They’re fine for soccer moms and driving to the office pretending you need a truck, though. 
    Of all the trucks listed I see less Tundras pulling trailers than anything.   Lawn/horse/whatever it is.  I don't think even the base one is cheap enough to compete with GM as a work truck.  

They are all decent trucks, i have had F 150s/Ram/Silverado and none of them were bad trucks.   
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Have an '05 Ram 1500 with the Hemi in it that is still my daily driver and pulls just fine.  Like surfman said, have had to do some work on it, but nothing major.  Been nothing but a great truck and i have 180k on it.  Looking at getting an F150 in the next year or so because I want something newer to haul the kid around in.  Have several buddies that have the new f150s and they are comfortable and great driving and hauling.  Nothing against the Chevys, just don't have a lot of experience in them.  Would love to get a newer Ram but the prices on them are a bit much and i'm not crazy about the "dial shifter" to be honest.  
  • Wayward_SonWayward_Son Coconut Creek, FLPosts: 16 Greenhorn
    I’ve got a Tundra with the 5.7L and I love it. It works hard everyday for me doing landscaping and trash hauling, so it’s not living a pampered life. But it’s literally been trouble free except for routine maintenance and wear & tear. 5.7L is great for power. Gas mileage is in the 11’s but that’s hauling either a trailer or load probably about 90% of the time. It doesn’t cost me in downtime or money for repairs; that’s what’s most important to me.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,847 Captain
    Based on what you've said so far....I think you should get the new Dodge.
    You deserve it.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 1,055 Officer
    edited August 13 #24
    My 2014 F150 with the eco boost got tore up in the hurricane I liked it, pulled good and a good ride. Got a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 V8. Like it even better plenty of power and rides great too. I get around 22.5 on the highway with it and around 18 in town. 
     I pull a 22Pathfinder TE with a T-top, the truck doesn't even knows it is pulling it. 
    Make sure you get the trailer towing package!!! Makes a huge difference.
    Look around on the internet a lot of the dealers still have 18's on the lot. And starting next month they will be trying to clear out the 2019's. I went over to St Augustine and got mine.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,055 AG
    I have four Crewcab F250's. Combined mileage is over 1.3 million miles. These trucks have camper shells and are stuffed with tools, coolers and materials. They tow dump trailers that sometimes weigh 3 tons, full cargo trailers and crew.

All 4 are still on original transmissions and two have had to have the HPOP replaced. Alternators and radiators go bad every now and then but that's it.

One just got the front end completely rebuilt for $2500 because my driver ran over an recliner chair that fell out of a car trunk in front of him on I10.

Chair didn't make it and the idiot that had it hanging out if his trunk paid for my repairs.

I’ve got a Tundra with the 5.7L and I love it. It works hard everyday for me doing landscaping and trash hauling, so it’s not living a pampered life. But it’s literally been trouble free except for routine maintenance and wear & tear. 5.7L is great for power. Gas mileage is in the 11’s but that’s hauling either a trailer or load probably about 90% of the time. It doesn’t cost me in downtime or money for repairs; that’s what’s most important to me.
    Hang 12000 lbs of trailer, mini ex, and bob cat on it. Then add a utility bed, load it with tools and material, and drive it like that every day. Get back to me when your **** goes, and when you get to replace the front end and suspension. It won’t be long. Been there, done that, paid the bills. No more soccer mom trucks for me. Pulling around 1500 lbs of lawn equipment doesn’t even come close to working. 
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,079 Officer
    I work on this stuff for a living... If your going ford make sure you go with the 5.0. How either truck does will be dictated by its use and maint.
    I would give the advantage to ford in a fleet application but saying that most of our fleet accounts have either ford or gm products with a splattering of tundras.
    I personally drive a GM on purpose! If 1 gets towed in i can pretty much tell you what broke...Not so with the others.
    JMO
    Jason :USA
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,079 Captain
    My experience with non work trucks: Tundras were having probs with a sensor on the 4x4s that rendered them useless for off road; chevy's were having transmission probs around 100,000 mile mark; Fords were having A/C probs at 100,000 miles. It seems all the makers have occasional issues at odd times and we can get good ones and bad ones. My next one would be a Chevy if I were buying one tomorrow. I tend to talk w a lot of friends and they speak like the posters on here about their favorites or experiences. I have a Nissan with 216,000 miles and no problems. My buddies say I've been lucky. Good luck bud!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 27,115 AG
    edited August 14 #29
    Just pick the truck you like that is within your price range. That is my advise. I hear good and bad about every truck made.

The only issue with used trucks is how well were they maintained. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,610 Captain
    edited August 14 #30
    From the last two Toyota related posts on this site, remember to make sure that you bang on your door if your window stops rolling up and to double check that the dealer is honest after an oil change. I wouldn’t go with a Nissan or Toyota if you appreciate comfortable interior. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,326 Admiral
    My brother-in-law made the switch from the F150 to the Tundra.  He had the V-8 in both, and could not be more happy with the switch.

The Tundra is a much nicer ride, but it is 10 years newer, which is to be expected.   Haven't ridden in a new F150 so can't comment there.

Good luck.

I have a new F150 for work with roughly 20,000 on it and have no complaints. Rides great as far as i'm concerned. My buddy has a fairly new Tundra and really likes it...its a nice ride as well IMO.