New BS Shark Regs

Backlash BanditBacklash Bandit Posts: 59 Greenhorn
edited August 13 in General Fishing #1
Not sure how this one snuck thru  - went to get the no cost license & it prompted a confirmation # for some video you have to watch? W..T..F polish the turdhole

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,240 Captain
    Snuck through? There were several threads on this forum about the rule changes. More on other forums. Just because you didn’t read them doesn’t m an they “snuck it” through.
  • Backlash BanditBacklash Bandit Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    well i guess that makes it worse then

next it will be cast net permits and tag & report system for mud minnow harvest
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 8,457 Admiral

Captain Todd Approves

• tankardtankard Posts: 6,902 Admiral

^^^^^^ Yes it is.

Not really after sharks myself but I get the frustration.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,154 AG
    public comment, FB exposure, emails from FWC on the process.....

You do know that cormorants are now a game bird and the bags limit is 12/day..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,327 Captain
    and of course not one bit of this would have been necessary except for folks that set up their sharking gear where folks swim - then dragged the poor critters up onto the sand so they could take all the photos in the world (I'm old enough to remember when there weren't all those little videos everyone's so fond of today..).  In my era various towns simply outlawed sharking entirely in their jurisdictions... particularly on fishing piers.   I can remember when we went to great lengths to get really big baits off of one pier or other - then waited as the sun went down for a monster to pick it up...

My only real beef about the new regs is that they fail to consider that there are places where guides (and anyone else..) working out of small craft can put anglers on so many sharks that the anglers tire out long before the sharks do... I particularly don't like having to use circle hooks since I can actually get back almost any j hook - no matter how big a shark is without taking the animal out of the water... I can't do that at all with circle hooks so the fish get to keep them...
    Heck, we even target them with fly rods... they're so numerous and hungry...

Along the coast of the Everglades there are so many sharks that I can expect double and even triple hook-ups on a given tide - if I have anglers wanting to tangle with something large and grumpy... Included with all the bull, lemon, blacktip sharks will be the occasional "un-stoppable" critter.  One that you could chase all day long and not slow down in the slightest... kind of a question with a really big critter as to who's caught who...

I know that the regs were specifically intended for beach sharking - and anglers who are less than kind to the sharks they encounter - but that circle hook deal was never meant for what we do each day - when we're looking for sharks...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 614 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    public comment, FB exposure, emails from FWC on the process.....

You do know that cormorants are now a game bird and the bags limit is 12/day..
    Hell, it got evening news coverage here in the bay area.  Definitely didn't sneak through.  What's next though, requiring folks to watch a safety video before renting a jetski or a safe boating class before purchasing a boat for the first time?  Hold on, those aren't bad ideas...
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,417 Captain
    Capt Lemay, your take on circle hooks surprises me. I’m my ( much less than your) experience, circle hooks are much easier to remove with a pistol grip ( and most other types) of dehooking tools. I don’t target sharks and don’t use wire. But, have landed a bunch on tarpon, cobia and grouper gear and I almost never loose one that’s hooked right to a cut off. If I’m using a j hook, I loose lots of hooks to Kings and sharks
    You should have been here yesterday
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,327 Captain
    We remove almost every hook from the sharks we catch -while the shark is still in the water perfectly safely, providing the hook is a “J” hook.... You just can’t do that with a circle hook at all.  We use circles all the time for other species - but none of them have teeth...

I don’t think the folks who made the rule realize this since they’ve been looking at videos of sharks that have been dragged up onto a beach where you can remove a circle hook.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,417 Captain
    I don’t think I understand why you can dehook any fish but a shark. I guess I don’t understand why the teeth prohibit you from using a long dehooker, like you would in any other fish. Now, I understand not using pliers in a shark mouth, but don’t understand why you can’t use a dehooking tool. Thanks for the time
    You should have been here yesterday
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,073 Captain
    and of course not one bit of this would have been necessary except for folks that set up their sharking gear where folks swim - then dragged the poor critters up onto the sand so they could take all the photos in the world

-this exactly
  • EnyarEnyar Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    edited 4:18AM #13
    kellercl said:
    and of course not one bit of this would have been necessary except for folks that set up their sharking gear where folks swim - then dragged the poor critters up onto the sand so they could take all the photos in the world

-this exactly
    Bingo. This is why we need to self regulate. If we don't, FWC may do so in ways we don't appreciate.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,073 Captain
    edited 4:17AM #14
    I couldn't agree more.  Fisher people need to absolutely regulate themselves.  One year in SC, a friend (I didn't like him) landed a 6 ft bull shark, where families were swimming.  Next year the island banned surf fishing.  

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,655 AG
    edited August 16 #15
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,550 Moderator
    edited 4:20AM #16
    This thread was turning into a pizzing match between members.  I moved most of the replies.  I also removed all the comment about keeping limits, which is what caused most of the moaning and groaning. If it starts again, I'll move it entirely and start banning some members
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 826 Officer
    edited 8:46AM #17
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    and of course not one bit of this would have been necessary except for folks that set up their sharking gear where folks swim - then dragged the poor critters up onto the sand so they could take all the photos in the world (I'm old enough to remember when there weren't all those little videos everyone's so fond of today..).  In my era various towns simply outlawed sharking entirely in their jurisdictions... particularly on fishing piers.   I can remember when we went to great lengths to get really big baits off of one pier or other - then waited as the sun went down for a monster to pick it up...

My only real beef about the new regs is that they fail to consider that there are places where guides (and anyone else..) working out of small craft can put anglers on so many sharks that the anglers tire out long before the sharks do... I particularly don't like having to use circle hooks since I can actually get back almost any j hook - no matter how big a shark is without taking the animal out of the water... I can't do that at all with circle hooks so the fish get to keep them...
    Heck, we even target them with fly rods... they're so numerous and hungry...

Along the coast of the Everglades there are so many sharks that I can expect double and even triple hook-ups on a given tide - if I have anglers wanting to tangle with something large and grumpy... Included with all the bull, lemon, blacktip sharks will be the occasional "un-stoppable" critter.  One that you could chase all day long and not slow down in the slightest... kind of a question with a really big critter as to who's caught who...

I know that the regs were specifically intended for beach sharking - and anglers who are less than kind to the sharks they encounter - but that circle hook deal was never meant for what we do each day - when we're looking for sharks...

Good points. Crazy they’ll even take a fly too. Same in my area, loaded with sharks. Particularly lemons and bulls.

It’s not just running lines out near swimmers..it’s mostly due to all the social media heros with large followings posting up videos and drawing a lot of attention to the sport. There’s only one person in my area I see shark fishing in crowded areas with swimmers. I fish the daytime in an attempt to avoid the sharks, and walk a quarter mile down the beach where no one is swimming. Most guys hit the pass bridges at night and beach the sharks with no swimmers around. Some fish them in the day off the bridge too but there’s no swimming signs posted due to the strong current at the passes.

I don’t like having to have a permit I need to renew annually for something I don’t even target but is a frequent bycatch if it doesn’t bite through the mono leader. I got the permit just so I wouldn’t be hassled. The required permit was put in place as just another way for the government to monitor what people are doing, There’s more sharks out there now than I’ve seen in years so it isn’t about conservation. Lemon sharks are protected as if they were endangered but my area is infested with them. Sometimes while waiting for the tarpon rods to go off I will fish for snook with a cut piece of ladyfish lobbed out within 20 feet of the shoreline. Six to seven years ago it would normally get hit by a big snook but now it’s mostly 7-8 foot lemon sharks picking up that bait.  Used to get a lot of tarpon off the beach but now I am running back and forth like crazy just trying to keep a bait in the water because there’s so many sharks around. Sometimes at dusk 3 rods will go off at once.

I do like the fact that people are required to keep hammerheads in the water because they will fight nearly to the death and if brought on land they will go into a panic and have a cardiac arrest and die. Found this out years ago before they were protected. The fish was released within 1 minute of beaching and didn’t make it. Since then, I’ve successfully released several others by keeping them in the shallows. Every hammer since then swam off fine on its own power after a quick revival. Lemon sharks, bull sharks, tiger sharks, nurse sharks, and sandbar sharks can handle being out of the water longer and safely dehooked. Blacktips shut down quicker and should be released ASAP if not being kept. It should be species oriented what is legal to do, because some of these sharks do hold up better than others. But the ‘experts’ who make these laws don’t really have much experience actually handling these fish in field conditions don’t realize this. 

I think if someone is going to target a fish they owe it to the animal to at least attempt to get the hook out first and if that can’t be done quickly then cut the leader close. These hooks do not rust out nearly as quickly as people claim. I recently accidentally snagged up on and reeled back in one of my old leaders that got cut off at the beach a while back..non-stainless 7/0 hook in near perfect condition after sitting out there for several months. I can only imagine how many years it takes for a thicker wire shark hook to disintegrate. 
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,907 Admiral
    You can certainly thank facebook for the ban......