10 wonderful days in Florida

Randy RichterRandy Richter Posts: 35 Greenhorn
Was fortunate enough to get to spend 10 days in one of my favorite places on earth.  4 guided days (2 offshore of Jupiter, 2 in the Everglades out of Flamingo), 2 days offshore with friends on their boats, and four days fishing the beach.  Highlights, a 300 pound shark on a 16 weight in 120 feet of water (but the take made me scream!), a bunch of false albacore including a giant, first time fishing for tailing redfish, a red hot couple hours of baby tarpon fishing, some nice jacks from the beach, a bunch of small dolphin and a nice bar jack on a 3 weight, a couple hour session where every lemon shark that swam by the boat in the Everglades crushed the fly, finding the triple tail stacked up and landing seven of them, figuring out how to catch greenies on fly, some hard earned beach snook, (nothing big this year)....I'll let the pics tell the story

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Looks like an amazing trip.
    I have lived in Florida for 30 years, fly-fished for 10, and I haven't caught half of those fish.
    I guess I have to up my game.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• Randy RichterRandy Richter Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    sunflower said:
    Looks like an amazing trip.
    I have lived in Florida for 30 years, fly-fished for 10, and I haven't caught half of those fish.
    I guess I have to up my game.
    And I didn't even mention fishing with tiny nymphs and catching greenies and hornbellies on fly.  :)  If it makes you feel better, I live in Iowa, but I've been fly fishing for 40 years, and fishing in Florida on fly for the last 20.  And if my memory serves me correctly, you have been to the Seychelles...so you win.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 328 Deckhand
    Wow looks like you had a great trip thanks for the report. Those sharks on fly must have been beasts. Were you fishing the outside flats in flamingo? I still haven't been able to find trailers down there

Wow looks like you had a great trip thanks for the report. Those sharks on fly must have been beasts. Were you fishing the outside flats in flamingo? I still haven't been able to find trailers down there

I've been fishing Flamingo for four years, but with a guide, and would probably get lost real quick.  :)  With the sharks, we were outside, not inside, and really not far from the marina.  The redfish flats were a lot further.  The sharks ran from 20 to 100 pounds, and were a blast on the ten, a couple of pretty good runs, but even the big ones could be landed in 20 minutes or so.  A lot less work than the big offshore sharks in 100 feet of water.  I'm not saying it requires a lot of skill, but watching sharks mow into flies is just really fun.
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 829 Officer

I've been fishing Flamingo for four years, but with a guide, and would probably get lost real quick.  :)  With the sharks, we were outside, not inside, and really not far from the marina.  The redfish flats were a lot further.  The sharks ran from 20 to 100 pounds, and were a blast on the ten, a couple of pretty good runs, but even the big ones could be landed in 20 minutes or so.  A lot less work than the big offshore sharks in 100 feet of water.  I'm not saying it requires a lot of skill, but watching sharks mow into flies is just really fun.
    I've been working on some big popper flies for sharks. My brother fishes sharks with big Halcos and they explode on those so want to do the same but with fly. I can't get excited for chumming them then having a fly sit still until they eat. When you fish them in flamingo are you letting the fly sit or is it actually stripping the fly to get the eat? 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,327 Captain
    Great trip...and the sharks in that whole area are numerous and hungry... If there's a good current you can stake up and they'll come to your chum... Without the current, allow the wind to push you along while your chumline is drawing them.  No casting until  you see one then work the fly next to the head of one coming to you.  The head will move slightly and your fly will disappear... Find a really big shark and it quickly becomes a question of who's caught who...

The flies that most use are big, bushy, and the same exact color as your life preserver....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

I've been working on some big popper flies for sharks. My brother fishes sharks with big Halcos and they explode on those so want to do the same but with fly. I can't get excited for chumming them then having a fly sit still until they eat. When you fish them in flamingo are you letting the fly sit or is it actually stripping the fly to get the eat? 
    The water is pretty murky in the Everglades, so most of the time it's been scenario that was mentioned above.  In the bluewater, different story, you can see the sharks coming from a long ways off, and try lots of different things.  I've had very large fish there blow up on crease flies that we've been throwing to false albacore.  But once you get the eat, the battle out there can be a lot more unpleasant, time to break out the 16 weight you;ve been saving for a special occasion.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Well, there is that ...

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...