Mullet bag limit - bait

poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 75 Greenhorn
Sept - Jan (ie mullet run) per FWC website bag limit = 50 striped and/or silver mullet for recreational

I don't see any caveat of if/how this applies to bait. Seems especially odd considering bait shops sell frozen finger mullet. So if I've got 2 bags of purchased frozen ones on board (call it 40 fish) and 3 dozen in the livewell, I suppose that would be in violation? Same if i netted 3 doz, used them up, then netted 3 doz more in the same day? 

seems tricky to interpret / enforce a bag limit on a baitfish. Or maybe there's an understanding that this is for guys keeping the big roe mullet ?

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,745 AG
    keep you receipt from the baitshop.
    50 fish is the bag limit if you harvest yourself
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    2nd question, you would be in violation, but only you would know.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Bag limit is 50 regardless of your intentions are to eat them or use them as bait. Also depending upon which county your in there are probably Special Acts governing certain areas allowing for a much lower bag limit and or restrictions on type of gear used to harvest. BTW their not baitfish, they are food fish.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    thanks, that's what I figured. Guess i was hoping somebody could point me to some fine print that said otherwise.

50 is plenty anyway, just gotta remember to count and let some go as necessary when I do happen to land a nice pancake on a thick school of finger mullet

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,478 Officer
     BTW their not baitfish, they are food fish.
    So when are you going to start enforcing the proper food handling regs on all the "baitshops" that are selling them.  :p

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

they are considered foodfish and must be iced on a commercial boat
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,478 Officer
    edited December 2019 #8
    ANUMBER1 said:
    2nd question, you would be in violation, but only you would know.

Art, you must of forgot.........Santa Clause is watching you. ;)
    Merry Christmas!

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

Merry Christmas to you too!
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 191 Deckhand
    mullet are not fish. they are water fowl. they have a gizzard and crop, just like ducks. at least thats what two guys who were gill netting them after the net ban told the judge. he threw the case out!
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 191 Deckhand
    or so the story goes.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,094 Captain
    mullet are not fish. they are water fowl. they have a gizzard and crop, just like ducks. at least thats what two guys who were gill netting them after the net ban told the judge. he threw the case out!
    That’s funny. I know they have a gizzard, didn’t know about the crop. I’ll need to investigate with some on the water research 
    You should have been here yesterday