At the Pass Aug 11

Launched about 6:30. Water temp 86.5f. Wanted to fish the beach but the west wind made it kinda sloppy and did not want the GF to be uncomfortable.
Went to the inside and caught a couple jacks on topwaters and a 17-inch redfish on a Mirrodine XL. Off to SE Cape Romano and more jacks and a few catfish on shrimp tipped Spro bucktails. A monster snook took a swipe at a magnum Pop-R. I know the boil weighed at least 20 pounds and that was the extent of that fish! Into the Morgan River and managed a 22-inch redfish on a Spro. Heading towards the dome houses, saw many tarpon rolling. Stopped and threw some hardbaits but no hook-ups. A few more jacks on the blue Yo-Zuri. Around the dome houses still sloppy but manageable. Through Blind Pass to a little island and fishing with Spro's and live shrimp, more jacks and a short mango. 40+/- days ago got a catfish spine through my thumb. No infection but the top 1/2" still tingly/numb. Did use a dehooker for the catfish on this trip. It worked well!
Till next time, be safe. And hopefully I can find some seatrout next trip out. It's been 3 trips and nary even a shorty.
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,079 Officer
    Thanks for the report!
    Jason :USA
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 124 Deckhand
    Think the wind is supposed to shift around to the east later in the week which should settle the beaches down.  Fishing has been great this summer overall.  I think its the result of Irma's "cleansing" a few years back. :)
  • BobberBobber Posts: 933 Officer
    "Cleansing"??? Sheeiit,that was a high colonic!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,327 Captain
    Mother Nature don’t fool around...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,079 Officer
    edited August 13 #6
    Think the wind is supposed to shift around to the east later in the week which should settle the beaches down.  Fishing has been great this summer overall.  I think its the result of Irma's "cleansing" a few years back. :)
    Due different circumstances i had not fished in over a month. Sunday they were in my usual haunts. Probably caught in excess of 30 snook on the incoming tide and several nice reds. I would say the fishing is very good now!! All caught on artificial!!
    Jason :USA
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 124 Deckhand
    Was out Sat and same thing.  Left em biting.  Nothing huge but fabulous fishing.  Snook, reds, jumped a tarpon, trout.  All artificial.  Good stuff.
    Just re-powered last week (another E-Tec 90 - what else?) and I haven't gotten it wet yet... Still a bit of minor re-fitting to do prepping for snook season to do first... Unless I can come up with a legit excuse....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report Kid, where ya' been?  We were out Sunday, about 40 miles south of you, and had stellar results.  3 of us limited on reds before 0830 and caught a lot more slot fish, all about the same size 18-21 inches.  We also caught some smaller reds that will be ready for the table in a year or two. The juvenile snook bite was insane, I caught two on a Spook Jr., same cast.  We musta' caught more than 100 fish in about 4 hours of fishing.  The future looks good, added some more spots to my repertoire  B), see y'all on the NACLH2O!   Bob, doesn't that motor need to be broken in? (legit excuse)

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

E-Tecs don't need to be broken in like other motors - the motor automatically double oils for the first ten operating hours... All you are asked to do is vary the rpms during that time...

It wouldn't take much of an excuse to get back out there but I really do have some small things that need doing - and every one of them will get ignored if not done once I'm back out on the water again...  This time of year most guides take a vacation since charter customers are few and far between... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666