How to Throw a big throw net video

Replies

• orlandoliteorlandolite Posts: 162 Officer
    Not a fan of net throws that involve using your teeth...better ways to get the job done without jeopardizing the chicklets and getting soaked by the wet net. Thanks for sharing though
  • hobieadventureshobieadventures Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Let me guess you dont wanna touch the fish, or get the hook out with your hands.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I can throw that net without getting my pants & shoes soaked and I don't suck on a lead weight.
  • orlandoliteorlandolite Posts: 162 Officer
    Touche hobie. Im not knocking the vid, or the method of throwing the net. Im sure if we were side by side with cast nets we would both produce bait. I would just be dry with a clean mouth. Dont worry though, I wouldn't hesitate to offer you orbit
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Personally, I liked the video, but I would hardly qualify an 8' net a big. Now a 14 or 16' net is big. I also use a very similar system to throw my net and I don't get wet. Well, maybe my shoes. I also like putting the lead in my mouth. It's like being one with nature. It's all about catching bait, so thanks for sharing.
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Great Video
    Love Cast Netting (although I'm still learning.) My brother and I have a joke that the net NEVER comes back empty. 75% of the time it catches something live. As a beginner with it - I've caught the typical: white bait, pin fish, small sand trout near the docks and mullet. In trying to catch bait, I've also caught a slot Red and a slot Snook. I had to throw the Snook back. It wasn't Snook season and it's illegal to keep a Snook caught in a cast net in FL. The slot Red tasted very good! Be sure to know the laws, I believe the biggest net that is legal in FL is 14 ft. (Also, I think all fish in the drum family are legal to catch & keep in a cast net ((Black Drum, Red Fish, Trout.))

Here's video that's helped me learn to throw it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI

Any of you guys know how to throw a big net (10ft+) without using your teeth and without placing the net on your shoulder? IF you had a video link to that, it would be super helpful!!!
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    No video but it can be done.... I have thrown 10ft without kissing the net or getting wet.. but an 8ft net will meet almost all your needs and those are easy to throw without getting wet or biting lead..
    practice/practice....practice...there are a host of fish that are allow to be caught with a net..but why bother going fishing if thats what you want to do...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • hobieadventureshobieadventures Posts: 44 Deckhand
    no an 8ft net isnt that big but i used that same tec to throw a 13 foot i have and if theres a way to throw that with out the teeth well id like to know
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    I use a 10' net and use my teeth, its the easiest way.. Whats all this talk about being scared to get wet?? You get a couple drops of water on you, quit crying.. Your bound to get wet using a cast net
  • linhlinh Posts: 327 Officer
    Look up the lunker dog videos on youtube.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    We still get wet doing it the other way, except not as much and also no chit in your mouth... one thing i have learn over the yrs is being able to try New things and add them to whatever i'm doing
    this goes with everything i do...but to each his own..

Oh i did it that way for yrs.... and learning how to throw it without getting wet or kissing the net didnt take away from my catching fish... it just made it alot easier for me...just saying
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • SinkerSinker Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Well I can't throw a cast net worth a darn so probably shouldn't say anything BUT no a fan of sand in my mouth and once got a tentacle of a jellyfish on my lips as well so ONLY going with methods not using my teeth. 6 & 8' are occasionally doable for me but I have to sell the 14' net as I can NEVER get it to open.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,096 AG
    Great Video

Here's video that's helped me learn to throw it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI
    I have had this bookmarked just in case. It gives you the basics and is thorough. You can always tweak your method.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,351 Officer
    I like this way, Will work on any size net. I have an 8' and it works great for me.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/castnet1isdn.wmv
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    I like this way, Will work on any size net. I have an 8' and it works great for me.

This is similar to the way I was taught to throw without using teeth or getting soaked. :thumbsup
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Not a fan of net throws that involve using your teeth...better ways to get the job done without jeopardizing the chicklets and getting soaked by the wet net. Thanks for sharing though

I think the OP ,ethod is sometimes called the Calusa method. It's the one I use for big nets. If I'm outside castnetting pogies I don't mind using my teeth because it's usually one cast and done. When I'm castnetting for shrimp though I might cast 75-100 times a day and would like to learn another method than using my teeth. I know I can drape part of the net over my shoulder instead, but never seems to open as well as using my teeth.

If anybody has any suggestoins on best no-teeth methods please post a link, lunkerdog not included.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral

This was a great video Roc N Rol.. thanks for sharing! :thumbsup

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,124 Captain
    This was a great video Roc N Rol.. thanks for sharing! :thumbsup

Oh yeah, check this one out. No matter how many times I watch it I have no idea what method she uses, I keep getting sidetracked.

marlin_baitball.gif
  • PattonC222PattonC222 Posts: 286 Officer
    9-Lives wrote: »
    Oh yeah, check this one out. No matter how many times I watch it I have no idea what method she uses, I keep getting sidetracked.

She throws a lot like the way I throw except I load it a little simpler, called a triple load. Approx 1/4 of the lead over your shoulder, then 50/50 between your hands. Add a spin and I will pancake 14ft nets up to 30lbs. As for not getting wet, put on a jacket crybabies. I will throw the net half as many times as you for twice the bait, perfect your skills.
    linh wrote: »
    Look up the lunker dog videos on youtube.

Lunkerdog shows the best way to throw any size net. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q_eqbapfbjQ#!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
    Just like that! :grin
  • PattonC222PattonC222 Posts: 286 Officer
    I am going to have to say that Mr lunkerdog can probably not throw a big net like that, 8 footer in the video sure. But a heavy 12-14 footer.. well I would have to see that one. I do like his no BS personality though.

Lunkerdog's Vids are always very entertaining. Problem is - the camera man doesn't closely catch the critical loading technique. It appears that Lunkerdog uses the above video loading technique. Can anyone confirm if Lunkerdog uses the technique shown in the above ausfish video? Any of you guys who throw a big net 10ft-12ft-14ft use this technique? I'm interested in learning this technique of it works well for a larger size nets!
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,351 Officer
    Lunkerdog's Vids are always very entertaining. Problem is - the camera man doesn't closely catch the critical loading technique. It appears that Lunkerdog uses the above video loading technique. Can anyone confirm if Lunkerdog uses the technique shown in the above ausfish video? Any of you guys who throw a big net 10ft-12ft-14ft use this technique? I'm interested in learning this technique of it works well for a larger size nets!

I played it a lot useing the pause and play button. It does look like the same except he shortens up the length to about a foot and a half and grabs the weight rope on the side of his hand away from the water instead of the water side like the ausfish way, and whips it to give it a hard spin that will open it quick. Got to give this one a try.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwEsAp58inw

or what this old man uses for my 12' nets:
    http://www.calusa.com/ with this method my arms/shirt never get wet. In the winter, anybody throwing a big net will wear a bib if they will be doing much net work if they are smart.

...and I never put the lead in my teeth, only the lead line.
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Triple load method for larger nets, you literally cant throw a 6ft net this way unless your less than 4ft tall. There just isnt enough net to do it. I throw a 12' this way, and unless you screw something up horribly the worst you can toss is a D shape. That a heck of a lot better than a banana. The quarter turn you make while throwing forces the net to open the outside completely, the rest is powering the net up and out and then just letting know when to let go of that last piece. This method actually uses very little spin, as the style of throw actually throws two parts out to opposite ends and the 3rd and last you let go lands in front of you. I hope I kinda explained that. Downside >> you DO get wet, wear a rain jacket = problem solved.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    No offense to the original poster, but your net did not open up very well in your demonstration and there is absolutely NO NEED to ever use your teeth to toss any sized net correctly. Lunkerdog's demonstration is also pure entertainment and unrealistic at best for consistently throwing any large net 10'+. I'm also trying to figure out the need for the cigar. :grin

To toss a 12' net consistently, coil up your leash neatly, grab the net by the crown, and make sure there is no tangles in the net whatsoever. Holding the coiled leash and crown in your left hand, grab the net again halfway down and grip that in your left hand as well. (At this point there should be about 3' of the net and all weights hanging down) Next, with your right hand grab the edge of the net facing towards you and put that over your left shoulder. Next, put your right leg out a bit and put half the remaining hanging net over the right side of your right leg. Reach down with your right hand and grab a weight (with your pinky) even with the natural length of your arm, bunching the remainder of the net in the rest of your right hand. *** You're now loaded and ready to toss*** Lean back a bit to get momentum for your swing then lean forward and curl out and to the right with a fair momentum and the net should open right up like a pancake with ease.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    I learned to throw a net at a Fla. Sportsmen Fishing Show in Orlando. A Calusa rep was giving demonstrations and selling nets. They still have a demo on Youtube and it's the same method that I learned. Well, I was watching a guide catch bait in Englewood. He was throwing a very large net and his method was very similar to what I was taught. The big difference between his method and the method I was taught was the fact that he used an underhand release. I was taught to hold my arms away from my body and use more of a Frisbee toss.

So, I started using the underhand toss and Wham-mo, it was so good. The underhand release is more natural and takes little effort to hold or toss the net.
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    ...I started using the underhand toss and Wham-mo, it was so good. The underhand release is more natural and takes little effort to hold or toss the net.

IF you know of a video on this I'd love to see it. You've perked my interest!