Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Near death experiences while fishing/boating

2»

Replies

• Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Senior Member JaxPosts: 1,428 Officer
    So I was this 16 years old gung ho kingfisherman (19 years ago) and my brother and myself fished out of a 17' proline with a 115 Mercury.  This baby would fly...way to much power for a 16 year old and an 18 year old to have.  It was the old TFC tournament out of beach blvd....and we went all the way from Matanzas to Beach blvd up the ditch to weigh our 18lb fish like normal :)  Our pops was fishing with his buddy and had just weighed in b/f we did.  We saw this major squall coming from the west and he told us to hammer it down and follow him back down the ditch.  All I remember was trying to follow the 2 shinny props that were barking out of the water in front of me in now 3'-4' seas in the ditch.  Lightning popped the marsh beside us maybe a 1/4 mile or less away.  My hands were on the steering wheel and it threw me to the floor when it hit the marsh.  Fortunately we were ok and the boat was fine.....all for an 18 lbr :)
  • Feet1stShoesFeet1stShoes Senior Member Posts: 173 Deckhand
    It's been probably twenty years ago but I decided to play hooky from work one winter day to go fishing. It was pretty cold and windy so I launched at the Beach Blvd. ramp and found a creek down near the Butler bridge on the east side of the ICW. I broke the cardinal rule of not going into unknown waters on a falling tide and got way up this creek and was catching trout when I realized the tide was leaving the creek very quickly. I had just called a fishing buddy at work to rub his nose in the fact that I was out fishing while he toiled. That was probably a bad idea because I'm pretty sure it set up some bad Karma for what happened next. So I'm  high tailing it out of the creek and I'm almost back out to the ICW when the boat hits the mud and came to an abrupt halt.  The next thing was what almost killed me. I tilted the engine up, left it running in gear and decided if I jumped out of the boat it would float a little higher and I'd just walk along side until I got to deeper water. Unfortunately when I went over the side I went chest deep in that soupy black mud. If I had not been able to grab and hold onto the gunnel I'm pretty sure I would have drowned because the boat did start to move without me in it. I held on for all I was worth and struggled to pull myself back into the boat. I finally flopped to the floor, soaking wet and covered with black mud all the way to my neck. I shut the engine off and realized I was going to be there for a long time until the tide came back. The cold wind and me being soaking wet meant that I'd probably risk becoming hypothermic so I curled up in the fetal position on the floor and waited. To make matters worse I only had about 5% battery left on my cell so I shut it off in case I needed to call 911 to be rescued. Long story short, the tide came back quicker than I thought it would so about 90 minutes later I was underway and headed to the ramp. Even though it was a weekday and terrible weather there were other fishermen at the ramp so it was very embarrassing to make that walk of shame from the dock to get my truck totally covered in black mud. I wish I'd had someone take a picture because that would have been one for the photo album for sure!
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited September 2019 #34
    acme54321 said:
    No joke.  

A few weeks ago we were scalloping and got stuck offshore by thunderstorms.  They were 5-10 miles away and full of lightning.  My buddy was next to us in his boat and decided to do some fishing while we sat there.  After a while he asked if rods were conductive because it was humming :#. I immediately told him to lay it on the deck, I think he thought I was joking at first.  That's not something to mess around with.
    Check on this, but I do not think you lie down. Crouch with only your feet touching the ground.

Find a low spot or depression and crouch down as low as possible, but don't lie down on the ground. Lightning can move in and along the ground surface, and many victims are struck not by bolts but by this current. If you are inside, avoid taking baths or showers and don't wash dishes.Aug 26, 2019

https://www.nationalgeographic.com › environment › natural-disasters › ligh...

BOATING - NOTE that if your boat is METAL, you are probably safe, metal boats are MUCH safer in storms than fiberglass.

WHEN CAUGHT IN A STORM

Thunderstorms in Florida and over its coastal waters are frequently unpredictable. Even with the best weather reports, along with constant and accurate observations of climatic conditions, boaters can still be caught in open waters in a thunderstorm. Then, with or without a lightning protective system, it is critical to take additional safety precautions to protect the boat's personnel. These precautions during a thunderstorm are:
    • Stay in the center of the cabin if the boat is so designed. If no enclosure (cabin) is available, stay low in the boat. Don't be a "stand-up human" lightning mast!
    • Keep arms and legs in the boat. Do not dangle them in the water.
    • Discontinue fishing, water skiing, scuba diving, swimming or other water activities when there is lightning or even when weather conditions look threatening. The first lightning strike can be a mile or more in front of an approaching thunderstorm cloud.
    • Disconnect and do not use or touch the major electronic equipment, including the radio, throughout the duration of the storm.
    • Lower, remove or tie down the radio antenna and other protruding devices if they are not part of the lightning protection system.
    • To the degree possible, avoid making contact with any portion of the boat connected to the lightning protection system. Never be in contact with two components connected to the system at the same time. Example: The gear levers and spotlight handle are both connected to the system. Should you have a hand on both when lightning strikes, the possibility of electrical current passing through your body from hand to hand is great. The path of the electrical current would be directly through your heart--a very deadly path!
    • It would be desirable to have individuals aboard who are competent in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid. Many individuals struck by lightning or exposed to excessive electrical current can be saved with prompt and proper artificial respiration and/or CPR. There is no danger in touching persons after they have been struck by lightning.
    • If a boat has been, or is suspected of having been, struck by lightning, check out the electrical system and the compasses to insure that no damage has occurred.

• livebaitlivebait Senior Member Posts: 793 Officer
    Just curious-does anyone know a person who was injured by lightning by taking a shower in a thunderstorm? I don"t - but mama used not to let us talk on the telephone during one.
  • shallowvshallowv Member Posts: 471 Deckhand
    My dad used to make me warm up the TV before I changed the channel...
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Senior Member JaxPosts: 1,428 Officer
     livebait said:
    Just curious-does anyone know a person who was injured by lightning by taking a shower in a thunderstorm? I don"t - but mama used not to let us talk on the telephone during one.

Our mom did the same thing about the phone....thank God they came out with wireless home phones!!!  All the ladies hated it in middle school when I couldn't talk during storms...... :D:D  

I do remember though we used to watch "Rescue 911" as kids...and sure enough that was on one of the episodes about a guy getting struck through the phone line.....things you retain from childhood.

• BadfishBadfish Senior Member Neptune Beach, FLPosts: 1,118 Officer
    My dad, uncle and I were fishing out of Stuart for sailfish back when I was still a teenager.  We had no luck getting a sail to strike and ended up messing around with a school of bonita to get our lines tight after a boring day.  We caught 3 or 4 and my dad and uncle were getting pretty primed up on bud heavies.  On the "last one" before we head in, my dad bends over the side to bring in the fish I just caught right as a 8' bull shark sounded and swallowed it hole and almost took my old man's arm along with it.  I pulled him into the boat by his belt before the shark took off and soaked us all with a giant splash of his tail.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 10,466 AG
    Oncet I nearly **** myself to death on a duck hunt.
    Had to hang onto the side of my truck and just let the hate flow through me.
    Messed up my favorite golf towel too. Italian sausage and coffee at 3AM - not good.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • StankBaitStankBait Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 422 Deckhand
    I know personally a case where a guy hung up the phone and it was immediately hit and fried the phone. Another washing dishes and got shocked. I told them that is why you don't wash dishes or take a shower in a thunderstorm. No brainer.