New Deer Hunting Bag Rules

From FWC Website: The new annual statewide bag limit is 5 deer per hunter of which no more than 2 deer can be antlerless (any deer, except a spotted fawn, without antlers or whose antlers are less than five inches in length). The annual statewide bag limit for deer applies to all hunters, including those exempt from hunting license/permit requirements (hunters under 16 years of age, resident hunters 65 years and older, those with a disability license, military personnel and those hunting on their homestead in their county of residence).

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,154 AG
    unless your property has antlerless tags or a depredation permit, those deer don't count towards the 5 bag limit.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,929 Moderator
    Florida was one of only 7 states that didn't require reporting the harvest. Hard to manage the population if you don't know how many are taken. I agree with the new rules.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 194 Deckhand
    I think tags would help also.
    Cracker23 said:
    They are available. The phone app is being fixed soon they said today. I put the number in my phone to just call in.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 196 Deckhand
    Nice to see Florida very slowly moving in the direction of what most other states have been doing for decades. The antler restrictions, although mild, are going to help as well.

I hope we can continue to see more works towards a more even buck to doe ratio. I think this will help the coyote predation issue that many hunters are facing.

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 194 Deckhand
    Cracker23 said:
    They are available. The phone app is being fixed soon they said today. I put the number in my phone to just call in.
    I was thinking of tags that you would get when you purchased your license. The kind that would be required to be punched out and attached to your kill.
    I believe what we are going to have is just a record of our kills.
    Cracker23 said:
    Cracker23 said:
    I was thinking of tags that you would get when you purchased your license. The kind that would be required to be punched out and attached to your kill.
    I believe what we are going to have is just a record of our kills.
    They will give those but you have to request them I believe. Missouri uses the I.D. number system where you use a phone app or can call in to an automated system to issue the number. Works good and is simple. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 375 Deckhand
    edited August 7 #9
    Florida was one of only 7 states that didn't require reporting the harvest. Hard to manage the population if you don't know how many are taken. I agree with the new rules.
    They do night counts all over Florida. Not sure how accurate though.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 196 Deckhand
    The old school system wasn't that concerned with an exact overall harvest count. People would always get upset over that but it really is a misunderstanding of the harvest objectives.

It was a heavy buck harvest to try and keep the overall population numbers as high as they could while still keeping harvest high. We still basically do the same thing with turkeys.

But as deer management has evolved and biologists have found the benefits of a more natural gender ratio and age structure, they have realized that a deer population made up of mostly does and a scant few mature bucks creates other problems. 

Most parts of Florida will likely never have an aggressive doe harvest like in other states.  We won't be able to keep a stable population taking that many does every year and won't need to take them due to carrying capacity concerns because our habitat in many areas isn't that great.

BUT, as our age structure gets better and our buck to doe ratio improves we are going to see tighter more well defined ruts and some better bucks being taken.

• Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 563 Officer
    I thought the point of creating deer management units was to manage individual herds. I was all for a tighter bag limit but going 5 deer across the board just seems like they are throwing darts at management ideas. Just my 2 cents
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 598 Officer
    I’d like to see it go to 4 does and 2 bucks. That gives you more leeway to manage to your property needs. If you need to kill more does you can or if you need to kill more bucks then just don’t shoot the does. 
    I was fortunate to see what happens in north central Florida when you high fence a piece of property, change nothing but outside pressure. Deer can jump an 8’ fence if they want to, I’ve seen them, but they generally don’t. Then kill 2 does for every buck, allow your bucks to get a little age and next thing you know you have a seriously intense rut and some fun hunting.
    I know it’s not the same but the same general principles apply. That same property had the fence removed after 20 years and the quality of hunting plummeted within 4 years and now has a season long rut that really runs into Turkey season almost. 
    Everyone has different wants and goals when it comes to deer hunting and they are all right, no one is wrong as long as it’s legal. I’d just appreciate the opportunity to balance our buck to doe ratio back out like it once was. I’d be happy killing only one buck and two does if I could kill them whenever. Just hate doing it in bow season.
  • BubbletrailBubbletrail Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Finally moving in the right direction, I agree with Contender also 4D/2B would be better. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,610 Admiral
    How often do you get stopped in the woods and checked for a license, or just see a FWC officer. I hunt public land and in the last 10 years I have been stopped and checked, once. I like the new regulations, I just hope the rules are followed but, there are many out there that will take the chance and not report their take, and I would be willing to bet it is the ones that take the most.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 488 Deckhand
    SURFMAN said, " I hunt public land and in the last 10 years I have been stopped and checked, once."  In 24 years on the Homosassa River, I was checked maybe four or five times.  If it's similar for hunters, seems those that wish to cheat will have little chance of being caught.  Need more officers?  Just a question!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,332 Officer
    Even though adding additional Officers might help catch the cheaters, the State Legislatures have to make the penalties harsher, which could curtail the cheaters. Otherwise, it's the cost of doing business type attitude. 
    it makes it hard for leo to write tickets when the SAO throws them out..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,301 Officer
    I have no problem reporting.
    I thinks it’s a waste of time because it is halfarssed. Just put out the tags already. I do however have a major problem with the increased limitations on the kids. I would love to see the overwhelming stakeholder support they referred to. I will just stop there for now.

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ruttedupbuckruttedupbuck Alachua FLPosts: 33 Greenhorn
    There’s a reason why all the biggest bucks in FL get killed on the edges of state/county owned lands that do not allow hunting or off of large private tracts of land that are surrounded by other large private tracts. On state/county owned lands bucks can reach maturity without being killed and private tracts that are managed they simply do not kill the deer until they are 4 1/2yrs old +. If everyone in Florida would loose the mentality “if I don’t kill it my neighbor will” nearly every county in the state would be a trophy county. It blows my mind some hunters enjoy shooting a 1 1/2yr old 70lb 6 pt over a corn pile they threw out a week before hunting. Who would have ever thought the “record Florida buck” (although poached) would have been living down in Martin County. Let the young bucks go for a few years and do some heavy doe management pre rut and our entire state will benefit from it. But for god sakes will y’all south Florida hunters please stop leasing land in north central and north Florida just to kill every deer that has 8pts on its head 😝  
    edited August 13 #20
    Ooh look, another deer s e xpert has weighed in with his QDM blinders on
    passing a 1 1/2yr old buck isn’t what I would call “QDM” at all. Simply just giving the young bucks a chance to get older is great for every hunter, every county, and every state. QDM is a much broader topic involving year round supplemental feeding, year round nutritional food plots for what the deer are lacking on the given property, and supplementing minerals for what your soil lacks. Trigger management is a very small part of a QDM practice, but most would agree the most important part. If killing a little buck gets your rocks off then good for you. But no where in my previous comment did I state the words “QDM”. Need some meat, shoot some does, seems pretty simple to me. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 375 Deckhand
    trophy hunters :(
    passing a 1 1/2yr old buck isn’t what I would call “QDM” at all. Simply just giving the young bucks a chance to get older is great for every hunter, every county, and every state. QDM is a much broader topic involving year round supplemental feeding, year round nutritional food plots for what the deer are lacking on the given property, and supplementing minerals for what your soil lacks. Trigger management is a very small part of a QDM practice, but most would agree the most important part. If killing a little buck gets your rocks off then good for you. But no where in my previous comment did I state the words “QDM”. Need some meat, shoot some does, seems pretty simple to me. 
    shooting does in Fl isn't an option on most WMA's..

You can tell us all to get on a lease now...
    My post/input was directly aimed towards privately owned lands. Have zero knowledge of public land hunting and would never claim to, sorry for my confusion. I do know that if I packed my gear and a climber a mile into the public Florida woods in 80*+ heat I would most certainly shoot any legal deer I had the opportunity to take. 

Not to contradict myself but obviously a big difference between hunting private and public lands. Any  of the forum members put in for grove park in Alachua County? It’s not free by any means but there are some very nice deer to be had in that area. Same for the Hatchet Creek WMA, tough to get drawn for there from what I’ve heard though. 
    thanks for the clearing that up, to many people judge others without knowing the guidelines. me included...

I hope the new set up helps. I get tired of hearing the guys saying how they killed 15 - 25 deer last season. Knowing they were all small bucks. This is in a dog hunt club. Asking how does he eat that many deer he said he has a big extended family..  Nice , one guy , one membership , feed that many peeps . Kind of a little over the top IMO.