Trolling motor on 22’-23’center console

SC53SC53 Posts: 504 Officer
edited August 3 in Boating #1
Buddy looking for some real world experience with one of the GPS spot-lock style trolling motors on a 22’ plus center console to anchor on spots while bottom fishing. Looking at a Rhodan or Minn Kota. Would like to get away with 24v if possible but would go 36v if have to.

Replies

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 287 Deckhand
    I've got a Rhodan on a 23 Contender Open. It's got 80# of thrust with a 72 in shaft and works pretty good. I've used it on about 10 trips and only once would it not hold and that was on a rough day with a moon tide. We also had the boat loaded  pretty heavy that day, like probably 7000#s. It is definitely a game changer for bottom fishing.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    You definitely need 36 volt with that much weight 
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 663 Officer
    cortr said:
    You definitely need 36 volt with that much weight 
    Yep you might "get by" with a 24 v but for that size rig a 36 v will work out better. None better built for SW than Rhodan IMO.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 287 Deckhand
    The main reason I went with the 24 over the 36 volt was for not having room for the extra battery.  The 24 will work for me 99% of the time, the other 1%, I probably could have picked a better day. If the 24 doesn't hold you can always put the boat in gear and help the trolling motor out.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,122 Officer
    I would call Tony at Boattronics. They are installing these on boats daily. He posted something about why choosing 1 over the other on particular sizes boats. His info is in this thread. https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/271133/31-contender-dream-overhaul-begins#latest

Jason :USA
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,702 Moderator
    I have a 24 volt Rhodan on my boat a cc Throphy   20 ft offshore boat older with one high sides and heavy for its size. I is really great for staying on a ledge  or wreck. AS with anything there is a learning curve. 3 t0 4 ft.  swells it can be fine ,wind driven with white caps and short period between waves it tends to brake free then tries to get  back. I would buy it again.  longer  7 ft. shaft or longer  might  have been better.
    larrywitt