First Attempt (Pompano) 11/25/11

My brother in law (Axel) had picked up some Pompano jigs a few weeks back to try and target pompano in the river for the first time.
Friday morning I woke up and started on my holiday lights when about 7:30 i got that call that all fisherman want to here (YOU WANT TO FISH).
So after deliberating for about 30-45 seconds the lights were back in the garage and the fishing gear was coming out.
The plan was to go to Stuart were we had heard the pompano were starting to show up.
Neither I nor axel had ever really targeted pompano in the river before so this was going to be interesting.
We made our way close to the inlet and say allot of boats anchored on flats close to channels, I really don’t like doing what everyone else is so I told him to drift over the flat
and sea what happens.
We started hooking Ladyfish, Catfish and Sea Robbins one after another, I think I managed one pompano on the second drift which gave us a positive sign that they were there.
The bite had started to slow so we left and headed north to try another flat which after one drift we had not gotten one hit from anything.
I told axel remember about never leaving fish to find fish, so we headed back to our original spot and after a few passes of trash fish we started hooked pompano.
We ended up with 4, lost 2 at the boat and many more that never made it to the boat.
I was pretty excited to sea our results from our first venture for Pompano river fishing.

"Life’s Short, Fish Hard, Sleep When Your Dead"

My Nephew and I with the pomps.

Replies

• Marker954Marker954 Posts: 404 Officer
    Great work for beginners. LOL.
    Thanks for the report.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Great job catching the Pomp's! :thumbsup:thumbsup

You will be the uncle of the year to that guy from now on. :champs

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Martin LocalMartin Local Posts: 557 Officer
    good job. nice to see them showing up
    MartinSig012-1-1.jpg
  • RondoRondo Posts: 762 Officer
    Thanks for the report, been waiting for someone to be first to find them, soon as the wind dies down I'll be out there in my Hobie.....
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    very nice!!!!!!
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Nice job. They've been around and my wife and I had fresh caught pompano for Thanksgiving Day dinner. :icon10
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Sea EraSea Era Posts: 491 Officer
    WTG on those pomp's
  • The JigThe Jig Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Nice Work
    joe.jpg 86.7K
  • HHT1HHT1 Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Thanks Guys!
    I grilled some last night with a tropical barbeque glaze, not to bad but i think next time ill try something different.
  • fishdaddyfishdaddy Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    WTG. Anthony looks very proud! I like mine broiled with butter and paprika, pan sauteed lightly in seasoned flour, white wine and capers or fried in pecan flour with some thai sweet pepper dipping sauce.

The pomps are in the surf from Ft. Pierce south to Juno Pier for the last few weeks.
    FISHING! the original religion
  • HHT1HHT1 Posts: 55 Deckhand
    fishdaddy wrote: »
    WTG. Anthony looks very proud! I like mine broiled with butter and paprika, pan sauteed lightly in seasoned flour, white wine and capers or fried in pecan flour with some thai sweet pepper dipping sauce.

The pomps are in the surf from Ft. Pierce south to Juno Pier for the last few weeks.

WOW your recipe sounds a hell of a lot better than what i had, im going to write that one down.
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Great job!!!
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    HHT1 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys!
    I grilled some last night with a tropical barbeque glaze, not to bad but i think next time ill try something different.

You have to try pompano livornaise. Simply incredible and falls apart in your mouth.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • RockNReelerRockNReeler Posts: 1,067 Officer
    With the winter weather setting in, nice to know the River will be providing food and fun this month.