Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

fishing license in federal waters

Got stopped again,  checked catch,  all good, checked licenses, all good, checked safety equip, all good.  We had been in federal waters fishing that day.  Never fished in state waters. After his checks, he was polite, different than the day before.   I asked him about the requirements of fishing license as we were in federal waters.  I was told you still had to have a state license.....I have never heard this before.  Right or wrong info?

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 13,442 AG
    State License in Florida covers you in Federal waters off of the Fl coast.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• sandflea763sandflea763 Posts: 16 Deckhand
    Thanks, but I was of understanding that you didn't even need one  if you only fished federal waters..  There is no requirement for federal license or any type if in federal waters? .  
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 13,442 AG
    The way I understand it is that different States have different agreements with the Feds. In Florida, even if you have a Federal license, you still need a Florida license to fish in Federal waters. Peruse the FWC website and I am sure you will find it somewhere.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,554 Moderator
    You will be in possession of fish in Florida waters even though you did not fish in Florida water but you have to cross them to get back to port.  Florida law is possession
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,090 Officer
    To quote Jack $20000.00 for a boat $200.00 for  gas $20.00 for Ice and you are worried about a $17.00 fishing license?
    Not worried sir, not money sir, I have a license, (wish my boat was just 20k, but you are a little high on gas and ice.    Just a question that you didn't answer.  Just like when federal limits are different than state.  If I catch in federal waters where legal, but have to travel through state waters (where limit is different)  get to port.  
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Species that are unregulated in fed waters resort back to state law when transiting state waters 
    Thanks,  I have been told so many things, like if your are not stopped in state waters your are ok, I just didn't know.  Everybody has a thought and was trying to verify.  Actually had opposing comments from FWC people.  After being stopped like the last 6 of 8 trips and always being legal fish and safety, I like staying that way.  I guess my old gray hair draws there  attention and they like stopping me!!!!!  Anyway, they are just doing their job.  
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,534 Captain
    I’m confused. You say you have license, so what’s the issue? Do you mean Florida state fishing license, driver’s license, or some kind of federal water license I’ve never heard of?

Btw, getting stopped 6 out of 8 times. That’s insanely bad luck or something.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    I guess I look easy and get stopped.  Destin Pass is where they sit.  Doing their job I guess.  If I had been caught doing something wrong, I can understand being on the radar, but I am always legal.  I have always heard different stories about if you fish in federal waters you don't need a state fishing license , just don't stop to fish in state waters if you have fish aboard.  Who has the burden of proof as to where you fished?   No biggie, just always wondered.....
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,298 Officer
    edited August 2019 #12
    It is not just the fishing (catching), it is the possession of the fish in state waters. It is always the burden of the government to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It does not have to be proven beyond all doubt. Innocent people do get arrested and convicted. 
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
     I was stopped by FWC in federal waters.  They asked to "see your fishing license even though you don't need one in federal waters".
    23895.gif
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I was boarded 40 mile# off Crystal River, Just looked in fish boxes never asked us for licenses... worried about those elusive RS .....
  • Florida license is clearly required in Federal waters off our coast. With the exception that you must add an HMS permit if you fish for HMS managed species. But you still need the state license.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,305 Officer
    edited October 2019 #16
    Thanks,  I have been told so many things, like if your are not stopped in state waters your are ok, I just didn't know.  Everybody has a thought and was trying to verify.  Actually had opposing comments from FWC people.  After being stopped like the last 6 of 8 trips and always being legal fish and safety, I like staying that way.  I guess my old gray hair draws there  attention and they like stopping me!!!!!  Anyway, they are just doing their job.  

In my experience if you are getting stopped that often the LE's have been given info about you. It may be right or wrong but if they are working you that hard they have an informant.
     The feds really dont have their own law enforcement. Yet they have a ton of fishing laws that need to be enforced. So they basically have a agreement with the states to do their enforcement for them. They reimburse the states for time spent enforcing federal regulations.