Pompano Beach 25 July 2019

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,806 Captain
Launched off the beach around 4:30 am in search of live bait.  Was unsuccessful at finding live bait, so headed out for a prolonged session of vertical jigging.  

At first, the current was strong....about 2kts Nth in 200ft of water, but by 10 am, the current died to less than half a knot Nth in 200ft of water.  Fishing for Little Tunny was consistent and even had a doubleheader release. 

I put out a little tunny strip in hopes of finding a mahi, but instead hooked a nice yellowtail snapper which I had to share with the taxman:(

I also found a few king mackerel for 2 bit off jigs, 2 bit off hooks, and 2 landed fish.  I released the smaller one.

By 1pm, the afternoon showers were building so I headed for the beach.

Replies

• inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 554 Officer
    Thanks for the report and pics John.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    nice. its been relatively calm until the afternoon rains recently eh John?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,806 Captain
    edited August 15 #4
    Thanks for the report and pics John.
    Thanks Dave

jcanracer said:
    nice. its been relatively calm until the afternoon rains recently eh John?
    Yes, Chris, there have been some beautiful mornings, but wow, some of the afternoon rainstorms have been super intense.  It was whiteout conditions with water spouts yesterday afternoon off West Palm Beach.  We were very happy to be off the water when the storms hit.

• krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    This time of year you have to be very careful out there, especially in the afternoon's... thos storms build up an sneak up on you very quickly coming from the West... you can easily get caught out there with the only choice to head straight into the storm to get back to teh beach...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish