Flies for the surf.

BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
Hi folks, just a mere 8 days to go!!!

Here are some flies for the surf, which I hope will get bitten!

All on size 1 or 2 or 4 hooks. 

Replies

• flatsgrandslamflatsgrandslam Indianapolis Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    No shrimp patterns?😐
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Funny you should say that, but last summer, I was using one and I caught one whiting. I asked my guide and he said that shrimps were few and far between, so the snook are pretty dialled in on fish. I switched to a fry pattern and started catching again. I do have a few shrimp patterns, but have yet to have a situation arise where they would be first choice.  If I am honest, I am not sure my tying skills stretch to shrimps yet, can just about manage the fry patterns! 

Tight lines

Vern
  • PhillyfisherPhillyfisher SE PAPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Never caught anything off LBK on a shrimp pattern.   Chartreuse over white, and tan over white clousers have caught the most fish off the beach for me. My bet is your last picture will catch the most fish
    All of the fish I have caught from the beach were on white minnow patterns. Very simple and with a bit of flash. I always over-tie to start with and then go back to white and simple!!
     I have tied some darker patterns for night time off the beach, hoping they will create a silhouette the fish will home in on. My next venture will be to tie some surface patterns, which create a wake or movement. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!!

TL

Vern
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,319 Officer
    White Gurglers for night time/calm winds. Deer hair sliders work too but require a lot more time at the vise.
    One sleep to go!!

Tight lines all, reports to follow!

Excited Vern!
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 832 Officer
    Those should fish and find their way into a snooks mouth. I haven't used shrimp flies on the beach but I have used doa shrimp and they work great so I would imagine a shrimp fly would work. 
    I love surf candies on the beach. Great minnow profile, holds up if toothy fish are around, and very easy to tie once you learn how.
  • PhillyfisherPhillyfisher SE PAPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    edited August 5 #9
    +1 on the gurgler pattern.   The simple pattern with hackle and foam strip over top work great

I keep coming back to the app white or cream over white patterns too.   Although I had a guy at a shop say he has good luck with blue over white for Spanish mackerel.  
    Noted, thanks. Will pick a couple up, as I was not able to convince the wife my fly tying gear would not take up much suitcase room!!!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,581 Captain
    Tan barred hackles tied seaducer style make a nice easy shrimp.
    That sure looks good!

Managed a snook yesterday in the crashing waves at sunset - magic!! Caught it on the second fly from the start! A new tying. Very happy indeed!
  • fishermenfishermen Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Fly surfing is good or bad, depends on the fly tying