Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

31 Contender "Dream Overhaul" begins.

Replies

• BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,215 Admiral
    edited September 2019 #32
    The grander has always been my favorite yacht, so we are following the scheme exactly. Ordered the paint today, the exact custom mixtures of Alex seal mixed in Germany. Hull and cap are the two colors here. All metal powdercoated black, only cheating on the real teak deck. Instead it will be faux teak Seadek.

Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    Glassed tanks in this morning. Ready for hoses, sending and bonding wires.

Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    That my friend is the way tanks should be installed! 
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 797 Officer
    I left out a sending unit when I redid my tank. My last tank the ethanol ate right through the aluminum sending unit in a couple of years and started leaking. Now I just fill my tank before I fish and then just calculate the amount burned. Usually within a gallon when I refuel.
    edited September 2019 #36
    We did something today we thought was original, and found out later today Contender is doing it on their newest boats. We cut channels out between the stringers and the bilge, that any moisture between the tanks and deck could easily roll off.

Then I did a dry fit of the rigging pipes, and wired the bonding and senders. Each has it's own pipe, everything will be easily serviced. You might also notice service loops, completely sealed senders and bonding tabs, extra main rigging tube, etc.

Tomorrow..... fuel lines and maybe even start on the deck! Got some mods coming for hatches and such that are going to be awesome. 
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    edited September 2019 #37
    Deck going in...

Rhodan pad getting glassed in and double sized bilge hatch nearing completion....

Deck seams grounded  showing rock solid connections....

Anchor holder being sized and glassed in with shelf to protect speakers below...

Aforementioned speaker holes cut...

Hatch restoration nearing completion....

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    The console tub is complete and ready to go in.

Final sanding and spot priming has begun.

The boxes that allow plumbing to the forward ballast/fresh tanks have been glassed in.

My old truck was too small to pull this 11,000lb boat, so I had to upgrade. This should pull it good!

Should begin painting thursday!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    At this point, we had 3 coats of primer on her.

Next, we black bombed it to show the tiniest imperfections. Then blocked and sanded, blocked and sanded some more.

I also gel coated the bilge. You might notice 6 a1 fuel lines ready to go to 4 way selector valves for each engine. Any tank can feed any engine, 4th port is for an optional bladder with lines and quick connects ran to the bow.

Next.... finally..... PAINT! Notice how all the pics look like a different color, just depending on how the light hits her. Anything from black, to medium grey, to even shiny silver.

I've also begun networking with other 31 Contender/ 300 4.2 Yamaha owners for prop selection. Please chime in, I've added several more data points since I took this pic.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • gatortroutchampgatortroutchamp Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Dang it Tony,  I expect daily pictures to update us on your project.  It’s one of the few things I have to look forward.  Tighten up son!!!!!!
  • Cracker IICracker II Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Cool metallic color.  I’ve had two dark hulls and water spots were a problem.  
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,408 Officer
    You must water blade, shammie, or towel dry dark hulled boats to prevent spots.  Also using the high dollar wash and wax Orpine pays off and helps the water bead off.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,446 AG
    looks great 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 317 Deckhand
    WTH Tony??? Where is my boat ****?
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • LMKLMK Posts: 588 Officer
    Awesome work, looking forward to seeing what is next!!!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,178 Admiral
    That's going to be a hell of a nice boat.  Want to see finished product.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,095 Captain
    We Want Updates!
    So did this 31 repossessed or what?  I come on here everyday hoping to see new pics of the rebuild process.....
    edited December 2019 #49
    No repressions here, I pay cash.

Sorry for the lack of updates, paint has taken forever! We are finally done, minus a few touch ups, and a ton of buffing.

The paint is unbelievable. The hull is dark grey, but in this light it looks jet black. The silver topsides change right before your eyes too, all the way to black. If you look towards the bow, and at the transom in these pics, you can see the effect I'm talking about.

I just got most of the original hardware back, with a specail powdercoating that resists abrasion. Every metal on the entire boat will be black.

The build updates should come much more frequently now, and things are about to get very interesting!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 290 Deckhand
    Good looking vessel.  See you out there
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
    We finally got her out of paint! 

It's been hard to find time to work on her, but rigging has begun.

Making a plan in the bilge....

Exciting news, Yamaha has come on as a sponsor, I couldn't be more honored. We will be installing twin 4.2 300's soon for the ultimate in performance and reliability. 

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,408 Officer

Looks great Tony...I can't tell from the picture but just making sure you're using the livewell pumps with the brass bases.  The plastic base ones will snap off over time causing serious issues on the water.

-T

Thanks! Only problem with the brass bases is they dont provide the extra plumbing I need. I'll support them somehow.

Progress has continued to be painfully slow. I'm too busy to find time to work on it. A tad bit more rigging got done in the console.

We marked out 25 rod holders on the gunnels, 14 of which are also cup holders.

Mocking up fuel lines....

All 3 tanks can supply either engine. The extra spot is for plumbing to a detachable bladder should I decide to go discover a new continent.

Looks like a lot of late nights are in my near future, gonna have to sacrifice some family time if I want to finish this rig. Hope to pick up the pace. Ttop feet were marked today, Castaway Customs scans Seadek on Thursday. Bolsters have been started, ttop structure begins monday. May rig engines next week.... though I'm may be being a bit too ambitious right now lol.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,178 Admiral
    It's going to be a great boat when you finish.
  • ColterColter Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Congratulations on the yamaha sponsor. That must feel great. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,446 AG
    Beautiful looking so far!  Love the color.   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    Over a month since the last update.  Tighten up Tony and post some pics!!!!
    Thanks a lot for all the kind words everyone!

Sorry updates have been slow, I havnt had any time to work on it! The fuel manifold was one I found online, cant remember the brand. Since last updated, we have done a bit more rigging. Powdercoated hinges are now in on all the hatches.

The helm has been layed out. I've had a lot of comments on this, that the helm looks far away from the throttles. Its actually stock location, I measured off another 31. More importantly, it feels natural and perfect to me, and that's what matters. You might also note the trim tab position.... again, this is my preference. I like to be able to control the tabs with my hands on the throttles. And yes, the throttles can go all the way down without blocking the trim buttons.

I'm installing the Lenco "Autoglide" system. You can control them manually at any time, but they have several modes that will work automatically. One of these cool modes is mpg mode, that samples data from the network many times per second to put the tabs in the most fuel efficient position possible. Or you can just make it automatically keep the boat level, etc.

The bilge mockup has begun. This is the stbd side of the bilge, showing the manifold plumbed from all three tanks, supplying the stbd fuel filter and then motor. There is a mirror of this setup on the opposite side for the port motor.

The fuel filter by Marpac is completely see through, and has a drain similar to a Racor. It also features a ring which will float if water is present, making it even easier to detect bad fuel.

John has put screw down zip tie holders all the way around the gunnels, we will start rigging full spectrum led rope lights.

Ttop construction has begun

We are installing the new power assist steering pump by seastar that also has a built in autopilot pump to reduce clutter and rigging in the console.

The engines have arrived and we should be installing them tomorrow. Twin 4.2 F300 Yamahas.

I've decided to mount them on Bob's 5° wedges, powdercoated black of course, to match the powdercoated hardware. I'm going to observe the stock engines on the boat first, but right now I'm leaning towards painting them to match.

I really hope updates will come quicker at this point!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Today was a big day, I finally had a chance to hang the motors!

The effect of the 5° wedge is now incredibly obvious

We have moved on to experimenting with different rigging tube lengths.

The bilge got some attention too. She looks about as inviting as a hot tub!

I chose the loop technique for my terminations to the pumps. Brown is the preferred nmea/abyc color for pumps, each pump has a different color stripe. I'll also label the wires, then after connecting the pumps, I'll hermetically seal the terminal strips and all connections with liquid electrical tape.

The ttop ring is together now, and I got to drive at my upper station for the first time lol.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    That's what's up. Shes looking amazing!
    Thanks!

Lots of work since the last post. She was scanned by John at Castaway Customs, in two weeks she'll be covered in mocha feux teak Seadek.

The bilge is coming together, though there's a ton of work still ahead of me even here. Two more bilge pumps, transducers, and the livewell systems. Even have to reroute some lines I goofed.

I was dying to launch the boat for the first time! I wanted to fill all three tanks, and test fuel delivery from all of them to both motors, etc before moving forward with the ttop and deck covering.

What a scene it must have been at the ramp, when I realized I'd looked over a major detail. Steering was backwards lol! Luckily that only took a few minutes to fix, and we were off.

No leaks on the through hulls, fuel fill and fuel delivery systems were all perfect.

After about an hour and a half of break in, I was ready for my first allowed 20 second burst of full throttle. In the 20 seconds, she rocketed onto plane and reached 59mph without me having a chance to dial in trim. Man did it feel good!

I didn't want to go inside. I just want to sit there and look at her.

Now that below deck systems are confirmed, its time to finish this rig.

The ttop should be finished in the next few days, and she'll be off to powdercoating. We are doing a stand through with radar in the front, very similar to this one but without all the rake.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270