Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Improving the Northwest forum. Ideas?

Replies

• alligatoroballigatorob Posts: 197 Officer
    I don't know anyone personally either. And I'm not very active, been posting off and on for 5+ years but not much.

That said I think this forum is just fine and works well. It is a good place to post questions, I have posted a few fishing questions and always got helpful answers. I've entered a debate or two and have always appreciated the back and forth, even when it gets a little heated.

I say change nothing, its working.
  • tenncaintenncain Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Gents. I have been around long enough to have supplied the soft drinks for the first annual get together. I could not let a day go by without checking the board. It was full of friendly and interesting people who seemed to be full of fishing information and who had great humor. The people were so interesting and friendly I HAD to drive down to meet some great people. I met and fished some of them-- people I will never forget. ( Cran, Old Dog, Sneaky Booger, School Teacher, FF, Billie, Bottom Line, 76 carman, Tin Can, Capt. Ron and too many more to name.
    The thing was then everyone seemed to be friends and friendly bantering was the norm. Now the bantering seems to have a mean spirit. Has everyone lost their sense of humor? Dewey used to always be good for a chuckle. Have we grown older and more bitter?
    I have lurked and read IF's posts. What in the world could someone have against him?
    This forum, to me is a place where we should be able to get together and enjoy our common bond. I still come down at least a couple times a year, but I keep it to myself.-- except for a few fine friends.
    I have probably said too much but it is what it is.
    Throw your barbs.
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,408 Moderator
    tenncain wrote: »
    I still come down at least a couple times a year, but I keep it to myself.-- except for a few fine friends.
    I have probably said too much but it is what it is.
    Throw your barbs.

Guess I know where I stand....what'd I do?? lol ;)
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,382 Admiral
    Your getting the feedback you wanted -

from what I am reading don't change a thing - BUT, be like GON in the way they ban you for good when you cross the line. I'd suggest you as the Mod tighten down the hatches when myself starts up with the short one.

If a lurker, poster, member cannot read a thread title and either decide to click or not click - will you ever keep someone like that happy???

Fishing, Hunting, golf, get togethers, CFB, Cooking, grillin, beer dranking, family, general 411 of info - we got us a nice place here with some GREAT people IMHO.

The non- poster thread starter complaining about lack of threads - give me a break man! Kinda guy who gets out of the shower to take a pee.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 596 Officer
    I'm still here. I read almost daily but don't post because I don't feel like I have much to add to the site in the way of fishing. I posted a LOT more when I fished a LOT more. Part of what kept me fishing were the reports here. If I'd read good reports during the week, Meli and I would head down on a Friday and fish all weekend to get in on the good fishing action. Since then, times sure have changed....

Everyone is fishing less these days, it seems. That takes some of the "anticipation" out of it and perhaps that has some to do with why we don't go down and fish as much. Aside from that, OUR lives have changed so much in the years gone by... Meli's business, our baby, my job... All taking more of our time today and we're getting... I hate to type this... OLDER! It's harder and harder to head down on a Friday night, fish all day Saturday and part of Sunday and drive back home! Now, with the baby in tow, I seriously doubt we'll be doing much of that these days... I'll end up dragging the kayak down every so often by myself until Daniel is old enough to fish with me.

I post my "personal" life on Facebook instead of here these days. A lot of you post your personal stuff on here and I think that's great! My family and many friends are on Facebook, so I post that stuff there now. That accounts for a lot less posts from me as well.

Why do I "lurk" these days? I've met some awesome people on this forum... Some awesome in a good way and some not so good, but ALL, I enjoy keeping up with. It is fun for me to see the banter between members these days.

I will still look at fishing reports but BOY have they declined over the years! I know some still fish a lot but those fishing a LOT have become few and far between.

If I keep reading hunting reports, I'm going to have to get into that, darn it!

Y'all keep it up... I do wish everyone fished more and reported it here but I think the simple fact is, there isn't as much fishing going on with this group.

Maybe there is a new younger market out there that needs to be tapped into but the question Mullet poses is a good one.... How do you reach them and hold on to them? I think the sticky is the best idea yet... Good luck!

-Faithful lurker - Duke

PS - This little guy will post some reports some day:
    144.jpg
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Doing more fishing is key. Posting more about fishing in the fishing is essential. All the politics and football has completely buried the fact that this is a fishing forum. I think the occasional hypothetical fishing scenario post might keep things interesting (ie: a grouper just wrapped you on rocks but the line didn't break. What do you do? Or what fishing equipment would you buy with a million bucks?). If you can't fish, talk about it. I also think reporting on locally owned outdoors stores is good for everyone. I will give my patronage to businesses with good selection and/or service. Just some more ideas.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    I've been here for 9 years.
    Many have come and gone for various reasons.
    I welcome anyone to post anything they wish, but reserve the right to a rebuttal.
    I don't care who posts and care even less who leaves.
    I'm still good for a chuckle.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,408 Moderator
    landlubber wrote: »
    Doing more fishing is key. Posting more about fishing in the fishing is essential. All the politics and football has completely buried the fact that this is a fishing forum. I think the occasional hypothetical fishing scenario post might keep things interesting (ie: a grouper just wrapped you on rocks but the line didn't break. What do you do? Or what fishing equipment would you buy with a million bucks?). If you can't fish, talk about it. I also think reporting on locally owned outdoors stores is good for everyone. I will give my patronage to businesses with good selection and/or service. Just some more ideas.

I think what some do not think about is the name here is FLORIDA SPORTSMAN, not Florida fisherman. There are a lot of outdoors to be enjoyed other than fishing. Communication is the Key. Before Blair contacted me by IM, I had not received a single complaint by IM or email. Nor had I received and offer of help or recommendations, not sure why I was skipped but that's no biggie. I think youre dead on with the fishing posts though, you should post some, others will follow. Matter of fact that could/should have been going on anyway. No one needs permission to post threads like that, just DO IT!
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    omegafoo wrote: »
    heck, my facebook is a who's who of FS Forum members from the NW Section

I think this is a large part of it. I'm not on FB but there you can pick and choose who you want to talk to it's not an open forum so you don't have to listen to anything you don't want to or be bothered by some of the personalities you don't care for.

Another thing I think drives people off is the constant changes. It annoys me to no end that they keep changing it and telling us it's for us. It isn't for us it's ad revenue related, don't be disinginuous and try to pass it off as better for the members. The lets make hunting better thing is the same. Money for ads in saltwater fishing has dried up due to the economy and regs so they look for somewhere else to pad thier income. So they split the forum up into different sections so that if you want to get info you have to click on multiple things, which increases the post numbers so that they have more #s of views to sell. Meanwhile members have to look all over creation to find something that used to all be in one place.

The people keep me coming back, not the content and certainly not the format.
  • beerfishbeerfish Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Whether its about fishing, hunting, eating, football, etc. I don't think I've ever come on here and not gotten my question answered. Heck, you don't even have to wonder when the rut is starting, just come on here and you will know.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,522 Captain
    Most Forums that are aligned to a specific activity or interest, also have an Off Topic section, which usually receives far more posts than any other section.
    The reason being that the Forum creates a community (as intended) and the community has more to talk about in their every day life than just the specific subject.
    Whilst FS has an Off Topic forum, it is "national", whereas the individual regional Forums are where the real communities exist.
    Perhaps the regions should be permitted an off topic section.

I found N Florida and the southern States before I found the FSForum, but I have met some great friends through my many years membership here and at BigBendFishing.
    The reason I visit and occasionally post, is to keep in touch with the region between visits.
    I am very conscious that my posts rarely follow the strict ethos of the Forum, which is the main reason they are fewer.

There already is a separate Fishing Reports section , so that aspect is covered.
    Although I doubt that if the off topic threads disappeared, there would be more fishing threads, but thats something that FS might wish to try.
    Whatever happens I think FS has to decide if they are going to permit the off topic posts in the regional Forums, or not.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I can't say anything on here that hasn't already been said.

IF, I have zero recollection of anyone being cross with you and leaving. Stay please!

I enjoy it here. The general fb, hunting, fishing (when people ARE), and jabbs keep me coming back. If that isn't what you want in a forum, then I am confused.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    "All the politics and football has completely buried the fact that this is a fishing forum" I totally agree with this. The economy is also a big factor, and less people are fishing and interested in "what's happening" in their fishing area! Football and politics have their own area to post, but about half are posted in the wrong area with endless posts, and lets face it --- there is no end to arguments on those two subjects ! In this post alone, look at how many people state "i don't care what you say" or ""they don't care" -- well thats what drives good posters away! Ten years ago you could go to any fishing forum area and get information, of ask for information on a particular area and get it the same day. And it was good information, not some wise A$$ remark having nothing to do with the poster's request. When someone posts here they are giving their opinion and too many times they get blasted because "their opinion" doesn't correspond to the reader's opinion. This drives people away. Like they tell you in any class "there is no stupid question" and "if you have a question, ask it" because 9 out of 10 times this same question is in the mind of others in the class. There was a time on this forum that if ANY post even "smelt" like politics it was removed or moved. Who wants to read any "one sided" list of opinions on an endless subject when they really want "fishing information". I am new to the panhandle fishing area, five hundred miles from where i was used to fishing, any information i can gain in this area is useful to me --- but very little is posted................
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I think NW (and maybe other sections??) like to only interact with NW folk, and not venture in to the general "sports/politics/off topic sections. Maybe each section should have it's own sub forums so if I dont care to read a "political" post then I don't go in to that sub forum. Probably not feasible though.
    Mullet is right...this is Florida SPORTSMAN and that covers a wide array of outdoor activities.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    hooknreds wrote: »
    I think NW (and maybe other sections??) like to only interact with NW folk, and not venture in to the general "sports/politics/off topic sections. Maybe each section should have it's own sub forums so if I dont care to read a "political" post then I don't go in to that sub forum. Probably not feasible though.
    Mullet is right...this is Florida SPORTSMAN and that covers a wide array of outdoor activities.

I agree. I'm not sure when or why but it seems like several years ago the fishing part of the board became more offshore only and most of the inshore guys went to another board. I do a little of both but it seems like most of the inshore guys left
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,136 Captain
    ducknfish wrote: »
    ...don't be disinginuous and try to pass it off as better for the members.

Duck, don't use a big word when a diminuitive one will suffice! :grin

I used to get to fish with some of y'all, but the last time I went with a group of you (I've gigged twice with Mullet since last year and fished twice with Lisa, Monty, and Chuck this summer) was 3 years ago next month. Those that I was closer to have stopped fishing as much or developed other interests. Can't blame anyone for that. I got to fish with Ranaman a little over a year ago and had a blast.

I can't access the site from work - had to stop by the house while out and about and checked in just now - so I don't see much of it during the day. At night, I try to make sure everything that needs doing around the house gets done.

I have posted reports when I've gone fishing and that may be the reason for this situation:

I try, almost every time we head coastal, to let folks know I'm headed down. I'll touch base personally with some and run into others while down there. For a good while, I'd leave an open invitation to ride with me aboard OC while I'd be at the coast. After 2 years of putting up threads like that, I just stopped inviting because never once did I have a taker. I know I don't have great numbers and I don't bring lots of grouper back to the dock, but my boat is safe and those of us who fish her know we have a good time regardless of species caught.

I guess that's when my disenchantment started. Just wanting to share a good time with folks and not expecting anything in return, but getting nowhere. I miss the way NW used to be, sure, but I've made adjustments and still read daily. It's still the second site I visit almost every morning. I just know I've got nothing to add as far as fishing knowledge and I haven't seen a deer in over two weeks so I can't contribute that way either. I do not do political discussions (read arguments) and I don't have a dog in the CFB hunt. I just enjoy watching the games...

I can't suggest anything that would make the forum any better than it is. Could be we're just maturing out of it or we're living in silos and believe everything outside of them is taboo or just wrong and we won't associate with "wrongness." Third possibility is that I'm just a whiney *** and need to shut up. I got mad a couple of times and took my toys and hid for a while. You know what I found out? It didn't make anyone here as upset as it was supposed to! LOL

I'll continue to post when I have something to say and will be happy to help any of my forum brethren out when/if I'm needed. If there's something I can do to help imrove the site, let me know and I'll do my best to see to it.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I will also add that I cannot access the site via my droid. It won't accept my password and username. Ive tried countless times.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,859 Captain
    I'll continue to post when I have something to say and will be happy to help any of my forum brethren out when/if I'm needed. If there's something I can do to help imrove the site, let me know and I'll do my best to see to it.

My sentiments exactly Brad.

I do know that I have been negligent in posting fishing reports and I do go quite often. I will do my part and make sure to post every trip, maybe somebody will get something from it.
    Duck, don't use a big word when a diminuitive one will suffice! :grin

I used to get to fish with some of y'all, but the last time I went with a group of you (I've gigged twice with Mullet since last year and fished twice with Lisa, Monty, and Chuck this summer) was 3 years ago next month. Those that I was closer to have stopped fishing as much or developed other interests. Can't blame anyone for that. I got to fish with Ranaman a little over a year ago and had a blast.

I can't access the site from work - had to stop by the house while out and about and checked in just now - so I don't see much of it during the day. At night, I try to make sure everything that needs doing around the house gets done.

I have posted reports when I've gone fishing and that may be the reason for this situation:

I try, almost every time we head coastal, to let folks know I'm headed down. I'll touch base personally with some and run into others while down there. For a good while, I'd leave an open invitation to ride with me aboard OC while I'd be at the coast. After 2 years of putting up threads like that, I just stopped inviting because never once did I have a taker. I know I don't have great numbers and I don't bring lots of grouper back to the dock, but my boat is safe and those of us who fish her know we have a good time regardless of species caught.

I guess that's when my disenchantment started. Just wanting to share a good time with folks and not expecting anything in return, but getting nowhere. I miss the way NW used to be, sure, but I've made adjustments and still read daily. It's still the second site I visit almost every morning. I just know I've got nothing to add as far as fishing knowledge and I haven't seen a deer in over two weeks so I can't contribute that way either. I do not do political discussions (read arguments) and I don't have a dog in the CFB hunt. I just enjoy watching the games...

I can't suggest anything that would make the forum any better than it is. Could be we're just maturing out of it or we're living in silos and believe everything outside of them is taboo or just wrong and we won't associate with "wrongness." Third possibility is that I'm just a whiney *** and need to shut up. I got mad a couple of times and took my toys and hid for a while. You know what I found out? It didn't make anyone here as upset as it was supposed to! LOL

the forum was like a new girlfriend, now you done been going steady for awhile.

I'll ride with you on OC of you will have me and you allow me to use Knucklead as my trolling lure. High speed tollin of course.

Better yet, Captain my rig and show me the ropes. Like a dude under the hood of a car looking for the trunk,.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    tapate wrote: »
    I will also add that I cannot access the site via my droid. It won't accept my password and username. Ive tried countless times.
    I used to have that problem. Make sure it isn't auto changing the first letter in your password to capital (or not). Once I figured that out I could access. Using iPhone now...much simpler for a dummy like me :))
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    Make UGAHEWES the moderator, Duhhh

signed: nothing to it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sopchoppy RedneckSopchoppy Redneck Posts: 1,421 Officer
    The site has changed, we all have changed and the times, they sure as heck have changed!! I can count on one hand the times I've been fishin since the NW Bash. IMO, if folks didn't talk about things other than fishing on here, there would be very little said and very little traffic! As stated earlier, this is a Sportsman site, not a fishing site. I don't hunt, golf or much of anything else besides fish and play on the computer, but still enjoy reading about what others are doing and if I aint intersted in a post, I simply don't read it. As for those who have decided to not post any more or have left the site because of this that or the other, DON'T LET OTHERS DICTATE WHAT YOU DO OR SAY ON HERE "within reason of coures", AND DON'T LET OTHERS RUN YOU OFF!! Ken "IF" is one of the nicest and helpfull folks I have ever met and them that don't like him simply have a personality conflict or somethin "IMO"!!! That's all I got ta say about that "fer now anyways" :-)
    YouDontLikeMe.jpg
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    As I already said I like it the way it is but if someone wants to rethink the layout I think GON (Georgia Outdoor News) has the best one out there. Over there you get 1 warning and if you get banned it's for good. keeps the name calling and ganging up on folks in check. Take a look for yourself forum.gon.com
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    That's why GON is no fun.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • Sopchoppy RedneckSopchoppy Redneck Posts: 1,421 Officer
    If we did it like GON, I wouldda been permenantly banned long before you ever joined Tommy :hairraiser There HAS to be some leway for those who go off the deep end from time to time or you will lose to many of the good people "not that I am saying that I'm one of em" that simply lose it and post something that they shouldn't have :wink
    YouDontLikeMe.jpg
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    dewyafish wrote: »

:liar :p
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    dewyafish wrote: »
    <
    Any questions ???????????
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,522 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    As I already said I like it the way it is but if someone wants to rethink the layout I think GON (Georgia Outdoor News) has the best one out there. Over there you get 1 warning and if you get banned it's for good. keeps the name calling and ganging up on folks in check. Take a look for yourself forum.gon.com

Thanks for posting that info, I have been trying to find out what "GON" was.
    Having had a look it seems a nice place.
  • senmecsenmec Posts: 36 Deckhand
    If my memory is correct, back when the name calling and joking was an everyday thing is when the post count was the highest here. The name calling and joking is what made the NW unique and interesting.
    senmec wrote: »
    If my memory is correct, back when the name calling and joking was an everyday thing is when the post count was the highest here. The name calling and joking is what made the NW unique and interesting.

Knucklhead got a real job