Home Egret Boats

Livewells Pumps Becoming airbound

Vaughnw54Vaughnw54 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
On my Moccasin 21 I have a constant problem of live well pumps becoming airbound. Seems like any time I throw the boat in reverse past idle it will cause them to suck air. Any body else experience this and have a fix. Constantly opening up the bilge accsess and taking the pump heads off to release air is a pain.

Thanks
Capt Vaughn
2018 Egret Moccasin
www.dirtybirdcharters.com

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    if the hose from the pump to the baitwell has a loop or a place where it goes up and then back down. That might be your problem. 

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    edited July 2019 #3
    Have not seen this.Try opening your lids before you turn your pumps on which I've seen on but in reverse your putting a bunch of air into the system and it can't clear. Going forward and turning them on and off will clear them most of the time. B)
    I haven't seen this either. I suspect that this is happening when he's taking the boat off the trailer. Once he gets underway the water pressure should clear any air pocket in the sea chest. 
  • Vaughnw54Vaughnw54 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Pretty familiar with air bound system in pumps. Anytime the boat rocks pretty good it will suck air also. Just average driving of the boat seems to cause the pumps to grab air. When throwing the boat in reverse to quickly stop forward motion is what really does it. 
    2018 Egret Moccasin
    Did you check the fill hose like I said above?
    Which pumps are installed?
    Rule
    Surflo Bait Sentry
    Surflo Piranha
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    I had zero problems with the livewells on my 189, but it was a 2000 year boat and the livewell pumps were mounted directly to the sea chest with no seacock valve.  I presume the screen/plate on the seachest was the same as the new boats, but I'm not 100% sure.

Now I have a '15 2011 and I had issues with the pumps airlocking and I burnt up several pumps.  I talked to a friend in the marine industry about the issues I was having with my livewell pumps and he mentioned he and others had similar issues on Maverick boats.......he modified several seachest plates and it resolved the issue.  i had a seadek guy scan the opening of the seachest on my boat, including the screw holes, and gave the file to my buddy who made the seachest plate below.  I installed the new seachest plate a couple years ago and I've had zero issues with my pumps airlocking and I've not had a pump fail (overheat) since.  My buddy's theory was that a seachest plate with larger openings provides more water flow to the pumps........right or wrong, it has worked on my boat.

My buddy sold the company, so I don't have access to more plates, but other vendors could do the same (this plate was done on a laser machine).  Bottom picture is the new plate compared to the original screen.

Did you check the fill hose like I said above?
    I haven’t had a chance me being away from my boat till the end of the month but I will when I get home.
    2018 Egret Moccasin
    Silverdreams 

I believe my seachest plate is similar to your original one also but will have to double check when I get home. I think if it is different I will swap that out and go from there

I have a rule 1100gph and 800gph 
    both seem to do it the same reguardless of pump location etc.
    2018 Egret Moccasin
    I would switch out the pumps for Surflo Piranha pumps. They hold up better than the Rules and don't airlock near as much no matter which plate is on the seachest.