BOLO STOLEN BOAT

36 Yellowfin Trip Yamaha 300 4 Strokes.  Named TRIPLE MIKE   Stolen this morning

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,283 Captain
    Please post up where it was stolen from (and circumstances if known...).  Was it on a trailer, or davits,  or on the water when taken?  Good clear photos along with information about any specific identifiers will help anyone reading this... as well as contact info for the owner or whoever reported the theft (and/or the agency handling the case for contact info...).

Good luck with this.  I figure that this is only the first of several in this size range that will be stolen in our area within the next 30 days... at least that's the pattern we have seen over the years...  The usual pattern is that when the heat is on in our area after a few thefts - then the Naples vicinity will get hit - then the Tampa area...

I'm a retired cop who always had a very keen interest in this sort of stuff.... but I'm long out of police work now...

By the way, the last I heard the state still does not have a dedicated boat theft unit....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 182 Deckhand
    Please post up where it was stolen from (and circumstances if known...).  Was it on a trailer, or davits,  or on the water when taken?  Good clear photos along with information about any specific identifiers will help anyone reading this... as well as contact info for the owner or whoever reported the theft (and/or the agency handling the case for contact info...).

Good luck with this.  I figure that this is only the first of several in this size range that will be stolen in our area within the next 30 days... at least that's the pattern we have seen over the years...  The usual pattern is that when the heat is on in our area after a few thefts - then the Naples vicinity will get hit - then the Tampa area...

I'm a retired cop who always had a very keen interest in this sort of stuff.... but I'm long out of police work now...

By the way, the last I heard the state still does not have a dedicated boat theft unit....
    Does it make any sense to share the info with FWC and CG ?
    Info sharing should be automatic between agencies... but once it’s stolen one of two things has happened that greatly reduce the chances of recovery (unless a tracker has been activated and is able to be heard...).

If it was stolen to be stripped- it’s in a garage or warehouse somewhere and no one will see it until what’s left is dumped somewhere.  
    If it was taken to be used it’s either out of the country already or in a shipping container (where any tracker signal is blocked) and waiting to be shipped out of the country.

High demand among smugglers for good quality ocean going center consoles with fairly new multiple motor setups...

Wish it weren’t so.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 180 Deckhand
    When my boat was stolen in ft Lauderdale in 2015 
    I called 911 and the operator told me “sir did you did you consider the possibility it was repoed by the bank” when  I yelled at her she put me on hold for 10 minutes I hung up and called back and they sent me a ft Lauderdale traffic cop in mini suv The kind that hand out parking tickets 
    guys didn’t even carry and gun 😂

2 days later an actual police detective showed up to fill out and drop off a report

that he never filed
    because my boat was found in Hialeah at a shopping center (without and engine of course)
    where the owners called police but because the boat wasn’t listed as stolen the property owner took my boat to the back of the property held it as abandoned property 
    planning to file for ownership 

until someone  stole it from him lmao and at that time when he called the cops the officer actually took the time to actually contact the owners listed by the fl number and got me On the phone almost 3 months later 

the cop knew who stole it and I picked up what was left 10 later 

Calling 911 (the emergency line...) probably isn't your best bet when you're reporting a crime that's already happened... Make a point of finding out the non-emergency number for whatever jurisdiction you're in to file a report unless it's actually going on when you call.... Your best bet when it's obvious that your department hasn't done what it should.. .is to call them and ask that a supervisor be dispatched to your home or business... That's what they're for - and just maybe whoever you talk to will straighten things out... 

Sorry to hear that the outfit you dealt with so badly dropped the ball.  Any time you report a crime you should be given a case number for the report - and making a point of picking up a copy of that report a day or two later is a pretty good idea so that you can verify they actually got all the info down correctly - and you'll be needing it for your insurance company...

Boats in particular are a real problem when a theft occurs.... Only two things with a boat that involve any registration at all -that's the hull (not the engine(s)) and the trailer, if it's sitting on a trailer when taken.  Any officer checking out a suspicious vessel has to actually check the hull, the trailer (both easily done and quickly will show as stolen if they've been properly entered into the system...) and the motor(s) since they have to entered separately - and the officer has to check the serial numbers on each one to find out if they're listed as stolen... As you can guess with motors running into big dollars - there's a market for stolen motors among dirtbags who don't mind a bit of trouble to get something really cheap....

Since I was a mate on charterboats before I got into police work I had an interest in learning about all the ins and outs of boat theft as a young cop (all those years ago...) that most in policing didn't seem to care about (until they got a boat themselves....).  To top off all the difficulties with stolen boats - there's always been a fair amount of fraud involved with boat thefts and related items to muddy the waters.  More than one boat owner - tired of making payments while watching the value of his or her boat go down... went down that road.   There's also a some bad stuff among folks that work on boats - and even a few manufacturers who didn't mind cutting corners a bit - particularly when there's money involved...

I'll stop here... just wanted to pass along the basics for folks that might need to know a bit about the subject.  A few years back there were a couple of guys who got ripped off that made a point of tracking the thieves that got caught stealing boats down here in south Florida through the system - and posted the info on this site... It was pretty depressing since they were caught multiple times before ever doing time... and are probably still stealing boats if they're not locked down somewhere.  That sort of stuff might be why our insurance rates are so high here in paradise...

Me... I'm very glad that I'm years out of police work, period.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 325 Deckhand
    Looks like the boat was recovered.  I'd love to hear the details on who, what and where....
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • pk911pk911 Posts: 267 Deckhand
     It’s on Facebook in the center consul page