Scallop Sharks

This tiger shark pulled up and cruised around us for a while when out prospecting new areas.(Ozello)

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,371 AG
    Cool looking fish, wouldn't want to be caught in the water with it though. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,322 Officer
    I heard it’s breeding season for them. Not sure how true that is.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Should have pitched him a bait or your slowest swimmer.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,879 Captain
    When I was a teen, and we would go down to the Keys diving spearfishing xcetera. We climbed the lighthouse Tower off Islamorada we would laugh at the dozens of sharks 10 ft long swimming among the people just out of sight. They won't bother you. When's the last time you heard of a shark attack in the keys I swam with them all the time they never bothered me and I never bothered them

Fast forward to being married and having two children, we went out there and there are the sharks where on the reef. We all jumped in no problem.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 584 Officer
    I accidentally caught a 5-6' bull last year near by the channel. It grabbed a pinfish and I was not prepared rod wise to even try and bring it in. I had finished scalloping a few hours before that, and moved out to do a little fishing.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I accidentally caught a 5-6' bull last year near by the channel. It grabbed a pinfish and I was not prepared rod wise to even try and bring it in. I had finished scalloping a few hours before that, and moved out to do a little fishing.
    Yep, you catch one and then wondered, what do I do now? 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,406 Officer
    edited July 11 #9
    Never worried about sharks.  I know they're always there and abundant.  And will basically leave me alone.  But when I see a big bull or a tiger, I usually go ahead and get out.  I don't like constantly looking over my shoulder.

Now gators, those things keep me out of freshwater.  Unless it's crystal clear and cold lol
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 732 Officer
    The so called tiger shark was most likely a Sand Tiger shark.  Spent a lot of years diving for lobster in the Keys, only a couple of times we were bothered by sharks, mostly around the bridges and some one close by and it was crowded, would bang stick them, not my choice of dealing with them.  Hell I have seed giant hammers on the flats and other sharks as well.  
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,433 Captain
    The one in the picture looks like a tiger shark because of the spotting pattern and flat head. Sand tigers aren't as common around here as tigers.  They have a conical shaped head with a nasty set of snaggle teeth sticking out.  They often have bronzish patches on the back rather than spots.  I ran into some diving a wreck up north many years ago.  If you ever see one, you won't forget those teeth. 

They all eat fish rather than marine mammals, so they rarely bite people unless you bump into them.  Tigers and bull sharks are probably looking for stingrays and sharpnose sharks among the scallopers.  They generally keep out of the way of people unless you are spearing fish. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,261 Officer
    We always see the tigers around Crystal River, seems like it is usually when there is an abundance of juvenile turtles. Spring time mostly?
    Cedar Key has always produced some excitement with large Hammerheads and lots of Bulls( along with every other species known to man).
    I think CK being between two major rivers and also having the finger channels for deeper water next to the flats has alot to do with it. Seen some big bulls up close while fishing shellmound(waist deep),that will keep you on your toes.😳

Anyway, We love seeing the Tigers. They are beautiful creatures.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,333 Admiral
    See them all the time on the flats, big ones too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • srfshaddictsrfshaddict ozello keysPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    I have to say y'all are very kind and hilarious,very appreciated last time I was in a forum from....uh (clearing throat) from well call it T Town,the crowd was brutal. I'm looking forward to sharing upcoming reports and photos.......thank you R
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,892 Admiral
    um, it's Ozello, not Ozello Keys.
    That moniker was a real estate ploy to make Ozello seem exotic..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.