Scalloping Homosassa/Crystal River

Have a trip planned with the wife and kids to the Crystal River for scalloping this coming weekend.  Has anyone been out?  This is our first trip there.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Also, do you think the tropical depression up in the panhandle will make it too rough?

Thanks!

Replies

• backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Reports have been bad to say the least.  Check out the Big Bend Section on here and there are a few threads speaking to this.  Might not be super rough, but could be stirred up a little making visibility tough especially with all of the rain.  
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant MelbournePosts: 142 Deckhand
    Thanks for the heads up.  I think we are rescheduling for next weekend.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,083 Moderator

That was last weekend.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,433 Officer
    You pullin a boat ND?  If so, be prepared for some challenges and frustration.  It's a zoo.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 591 Officer

That was last weekend.
    That looks like my personal version of hell.
    Yea, we are pulling a boat. Would it be better to charter?
    If you can get one, get on the horn now.
    Is that picture the Crystal River or the Homosassa?
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Bring a couple fishing rods, the scalloping was the worst it's been in recent memory. 
    Pretty sure it was Homosassa, they're pretty much six of one half dozen of the other.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,416 AG
    i keep hearing that but i have had friends limit out in Steinhatchie in 3-5' of water.   Too far for me to drive though. 

then they are opening up scalloping south of Hernando county now july 19th
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 329 Deckhand
    My friend went out last week. He is pretty experienced and their group of four only found 19!  This was the crystal river area. 
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,073 AG
    Bring a couple fishing rods, the scalloping was the worst it's been in recent memory. 
     this 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Well we rescheduled for next weekend.  I will report how it was.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,513 Moderator
    Seem to be deeper (10' +) and vis is horrible.  People reported finding most in the grass by feel rather than sight
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Reports are very mixed. I know the group of friends I have that already went had no issues getting limits, but have heard of people struggling. I'll be in Crystal river for 10 days starting Sunday. Don't anticipate any issues finding them based on what I've heard.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,925 Admiral
    jmac7469 said:
    Reports are very mixed. I know the group of friends I have that already wen t had no issues getting limits, but have heard of people struggling. I'll be in Crystal river for 10 days starting Sunday. Don't anticipate any issues finding them based on what I've heard.
    Please give us detailed reports and pics of your sucess.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Easy day made it to Crystal river around 9 ran to an area we caught them good last year. Easy 2 man limit. 10 feet of water at mid tide. 2 other boats in that area they were diving down often as well. Did take us a little longer than usually because the vis wasn't all that great. Swam up on a school of trout which I've never done before. Nice day on the water for sure.
  • jimmypjimmyp Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    FWC says this is the worst year ever according to their scallop survey. My bunch has been doing it for 25 years and this is the worst we've ever seen from Bayport to Crystal Bay. We never go over 8 feet though.

Has anyone tried an extended dip net for deeper water?  Is it worth it?
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 549 Officer
    Is that picture the Crystal River or the Homosassa?

That was Homosassa. We had been offshore and got pushed in by the storms. I had hoped to beat the scallop crowd but..................

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 7,682 Admiral
    Scallop reports are sounding like duck hunting reports

Saw 10, got 4.
  • Baldy00Baldy00 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I went on 7/1. We drove the boat from Anclote stopping at Weeki Watchi, Homossasa, then finishing at Crystal River. We are seasoned and have been going for years. We ended up with 40 for the day. IT was depressing since we typically limit out in an average of an hour. 

FYI...…..Taking the boat up by water is the only way to go. It took a little over an hour which is shorter than trailering, sitting at the boat ramp, and cruising down the river. 
    Went out the Crystal River today.  We just worked anywhere from 8’ to 3’.  We got seven and that sounds like an average.  
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 391 Deckhand
    Went out the Crystal River today.  We just worked anywhere from 8’ to 3’.  We got seven and that sounds like an average.  
    Average for this season or seasons past?