Kayak Fishing Tackle List

AO_REDAO_RED SarasotaPosts: 5 Greenhorn
Hey guys I'm new to FL and kayaking fishing.  I'm coming from the NE where I've been mainly fishing for Bass, Blues, Scup, Fluke and Bonita/Albies (all from shore/jetty's).  During the moving process I left a  lot of gear with my old man.  I'm looking to put together a list of must have tackle for getting into kayak fishing.  I'd like to focus on Red's, snook, snapper and maybe grouper (not sure if thats possible from a yak).  I'm located in the Sarasota area.  Any input is appreciated. 

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 8,033 Admiral
    edited July 10 #2
    You need a medium action rod, smallish reel , braided line if real small reel. Some top water lures, Johnson Sprites, Mirrolures, suspending lures and a few size jig heads and some soft plastics.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• dcrdcr Posts: 350 Deckhand
    edited July 9 #3
    10-15-20# braid, 20-25-30# flourocarbon, #1 - #1/0 circle hooks, #2 #3 split shot, popper float, 1/4, 3/8 oz jigs, Z-man paddletails, DOA shrimp, SPRO 3/8 oz white bucktail, Top Dog, Zara Spook, Hogy, 30-50SPF sunscreen, a floppy hat, knife to cut your way out of mangroves, at least $50 sunglasses, mine are bronze colored, sabikis, consider an inflatable PFD.

There's a lot of trout in Sarasota Bay.  Here's Little Sarasota Bay

edited July 10 #4
    Oh, search maybe in SW FL forum for Formerbluefishinny or bluefishinny, something like that, he's the resident Sarasota expert.  He's an on foot guy, but he has lots of tips for that area. And knows all the launch spots.
  • AO_REDAO_RED SarasotaPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Sweet really appreciate the input!
    Spineyman said:
    Where in Florida are you going to fish?
    Sarasota/Venice, and Tampa bay 
  • PackerYakerPackerYaker Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    If you get up to the Nature Coast, you might want to check out my website (http://fishingkayaks.us). 
  • krashkrash Posts: 633 Officer
    Wow, blufishiny=Keith, not heard that name mentioned in a while... he used to be a local here in Ft. Lauderdale/Boynton area.

AO-RED, Vinece to Tampa bay is a great fishing area. That Sarasota area is great.. for Reds, Trout, Snook, and Tarpon.  For ideas look up and follow Captain Rick Grasset and JMSnooky.. they guide and post good fishing reports in that area, you can easily get the info on whats biting.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    I haven't fished on that side of FL yet, but I imagine since its not deep water, you probably don't need any spinning reels larger than a 4000 size (unless targeting Tarpon, in which case go as big as you feel comfortable).
    I guess if I was going to visit and had to chose one combo, I'd bring my 7ft med-light rod with Penn Conflict 3000 (same size as a 4000 Shimano reel) which is spooled up with 15# braid and 20# flouro leader. Its a bit heavy for trout, but good for mackerel, snook and keeper reds.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    I just remembered a funny story.  A few years back I launched across from Turtle Beach into Little Sarasota Bay, same day as that picture above.  On the way back in, I saw a few manatee, and then.....an alligator.  When I mentioned the gator to some locals at the launch ramp, they scoffed, "there's no alligators in Sarasota!"
    One year later I'm back at the same launch spot

dcr said:
    I just remembered a funny story.  A few years back I launched across from Turtle Beach into Little Sarasota Bay, same day as that picture above.  On the way back in, I saw a few manatee, and then.....an alligator.  When I mentioned the gator to some locals at the launch ramp, they scoffed, "there's no alligators in Sarasota!"
    One year later I'm back at the same launch spot

hahahaha thats great! I was wondering if there were gators in there last time I was over there.. Now I know!