SPECIAL WAY TO GRILL FISH

catchemupcatchemup Posts: 182 Deckhand
-fillet needs to be fairly thick..1/2” thick as a minimum …3/4” or 1” best
-this is a fillet from a big 4# plus blackfin snapper 
-skin with scales is how you cook it [you don’t eat the skin]
-you cook the fish skin side down and don’t turn it over
-the benefit is getting the tasty flavor from the layer of fat next to the skin

-used a little kosher salt, ground pepper, little sweet paprika for color and taste 
-brush olive oil spiked with a little zesty Italian salad dressing…or not…before grilling
-squirt a little fresh lemon juice

-grill on low…450 degrees with top down
-baste once half way through and squeeze some more lemon on it 
-done when you put a fork in the fillet  and it comes out easily with no sticking
-look into the small hole your fork made and confirm the meat is pure white not pink or translucent
-my fillet cooked to perfection in precisely 20 minutes
-fish comes off the skin easily with a metal spatula

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 430 Deckhand
    that's a halfshell! and yes it's good. i take a spatula and scoop the meat out of the skin/scale before serving.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 182 Deckhand
    that's a halfshell! and yes it's good. i take a spatula and scoop the meat out of the skin/scale before serving.
    I took a metal spatula and lifted the flesh right off the skin as if it were on a serving platter.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,371 AG
    would this work on something like Tilapia?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    would this work on something like Tilapia?
    This method is recommended for pretty thick fillets so I think the tilapia would be too thin
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 732 Officer
    I grill fish all the time, but not at 450 degrees.  
    lakeman said:
    I grill fish all the time, but not at 450 degrees.  
    what temperature do you grill at? Thanks.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 732 Officer
     Not sure but I think it is more like 300-350 or medium or less on the Weber.  I do it a little slower so I have more time to drink before dinner LOL.  BTW maybe some fish need a hotter temperature but I like Salmon or especially Scottish Salmon.  Note I do not or cannot fish anymore and have to relie on Store or some great fresh  seafood dealers for my fish.  One actually has fresh Conch.
    "Not sure but I think it is more like 300-350 or medium or less on the Weber. "

That sounds like a great temp to work with. My gas grill doesn't get much lower than 400-450.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 211 Deckhand
    I generally like the taste of the skin. So I scale them I cant say I ever worry about temp except when I roasting whole pigs. For steaks, chicken, fish, deer, gator, snake, turtle, rabbit, ducks, and bob cat I just check it I know by feel if the grill heat right. Steak takes the most intense heat of all.