Home Egret Boats

Friction Hinges ?

PlugKasterPlugKaster Posts: 18 Greenhorn
understand hatches are being fitted with gemlux friction hinges now.  Can a straight replacement be made on older boat models?  What model works on rod lockers?  Thx

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 588 Officer
    I replaced all of mine - awesome upgrade. I took measurements and spent time on the site. Called and they were able to give me exact size replacements (size wise & foot print) for what was on my boat. To do them right they will need to be bedded. I did not the first time around and you get some rust if you don't.  Good Luck!!!!
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,379 Officer
    No you will need to fill the holes and re drill. Depending on the hinges you have presently they will not line up.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
      If you have a Florida boat I wouldn't change them. 
  • PlugKasterPlugKaster Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    LMK said:
    I replaced all of mine - awesome upgrade. I took measurements and spent time on the site. Called and they were able to give me exact size replacements (size wise & foot print) for what was on my boat. To do them right they will need to be bedded. I did not the first time around and you get some rust if you don't.  Good Luck!!!!

• PlugKasterPlugKaster Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Sounds like a lot of work with a strong chance of screwing something up. I’ll leave as they are.  I’ve broken a couple of hatch wires and it’s difficult to find replacements. Thx
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Sounds like a lot of work with a strong chance of screwing something up. I’ll leave as they are.  I’ve broken a couple of hatch wires and it’s difficult to find replacements. Thx
    If you have a Florida built boat you rod locker hatches are a lot bigger than the Carolina boats. It's a pain to get them installed. Also the hinges that were used on the Florida boats were discontinued.