So what do you think would happen if Quota hunts were eliminated and the land opened up?

PinmanPinman Posts: 1,895 Captain

Humor me. Ive been thinking about this a lot.  Have had discussions with friends who are way more accomplished public land Deer and Turkey hunters than I would even dream of being. Most, like some on here, look at the short term of this idea with doom and gloom but maybe are ignoring the long term.

If quotas was gone and all lands open up the quota areas would get absolutely pounded. Me, my sons, their uncle, the neighbor down the street and his sister-in-law from Wisconsin are going to flock to these magical areas you could only hunt for 3 days once every 2-5 years. But these are areas where Deer are dying of old age. A WMA near me has an area that is 3 miles from any access point. And once you get there its a thicket of Dog Fennel,  Myrtles, Sawgrass marsh and general misery.  Not too many who are going to get there.

Meanwhile the romp and stomps see a decrease in traffic. Game is pushed from the previously Quota only area. After a few years an equilibrium is reached and hunters are spread out over all areas. Those who wish to hunt close to home can. Hunters actually "learn" to hunt by learning an area and seeing what happens on a week to week basis. No more "only here 3 days now or never attitudes"

Im very much a freedom loving radical. Humor me.

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,198 Captain
    I think it would be awesome. Don’t see much of a bad side. I don’t find my romp and stomp areas to be overcrowded. Opening up more romp and stomp should distribute pressure even more diffusely.  
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,990 Moderator
    I'd be for it but it won't automatically create an equilibrium. It would need to be done on a gradual basis or some areas would absolutely get demolished.

It's a pie in the sky idea anyhow since FWC can't do this on their own even if they wanted to. They have to deal with many other managing agencies, many of which aren't very hunter friendly. SWFWMD will NEVER agree to this on "their" properties.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,895 Captain
    edited July 2 #5

Ouch. Check stations. That's a lot of manpower and $$.

How about a physical tag attached to Deer / Turkey or SEVERE penalty for being caught with an untagged animal and more $ for patrol and enforcement of such? 

Ill add State Parks to the mix for land that could be opened up. A lot of acres never see the footprint of man.

• PinmanPinman Posts: 1,895 Captain
    edited July 2 #6
    james 14 said:
    I'd be for it but it won't automatically create an equilibrium. It would need to be done on a gradual basis or some areas would absolutely get demolished.

It's a pie in the sky idea anyhow since FWC can't do this on their own even if they wanted to. They have to deal with many other managing agencies, many of which aren't very hunter friendly. SWFWMD will NEVER agree to this on "their" properties.

Never say never.  I don't know a lot about the inner workings of these relationships, but Id bet these managing agencies rely on FWC for certain things, I could be wrong. And the FWC relies on hunters $ from license fees. Loved Ronald Reagan. "Trickle down" might apply. Just shootin from the hip...
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,234 Officer
    james 14 said:

Beg to differ - before Quota Permits hunting took place for many years w/o  problems, my friends and I would hunt Tomoka Relay one weekend, then next week Area 3 near home down south, then the Fakahatchee, then St Johns River for fence hopping off of Lake Winder ;), it was heaven. The only time I got scared was when doe days were declared during muzzleloader on the Miami Canal within Area 3 - I was hunting the canal bank in dense growth when guys in boats were patrolling the canal bank with 1 guy driving and one standing ready to shoot instantly at anything he saw - that was nerve wracking - me being on the bank -so I moved (didn't go whining and crying to GFC that I needed a more quality hunt) and put the levee between me and them on those days. Other than that for many years in my hunting youth - hunting was a pleasure back then - nowadays I can tell many folks here don't have a clue what hunting free is.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,324 Officer
    Deer harvest reporting system eliminates the need for check stations. Open the places up. There will be changes, but the one thing that won’t be hurt is access by people to hunt when they can hunt. Seasons could also be modified to deal with pressure. But hey how do the other 49 states do it?  And more specifically how do the 10-12 states closest to Florida do it?  

Fix a hugely failed antiquated system or lose hunters and people actually valuing the land and paying real monies to support the management of those lands. Then we have to address the lack of management. I mean I only lived on a wildlife area in another state during my high school and college years and that place was treated like a farm for wildlife, and it was brimming. 1800 acres held more game than any 10,000 acres of public land managed by the Fwc. It also was hunted under the same hunting dates as private land. When private land people can only hunt their land or public land they hunt private and the pressure goes “Waaaaay Down”
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,033 Captain
    Could have a week long GG season!!!!
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,557 Captain
    Certain areas will be hit hard.  Will be natural for many people to flock to areas they have been denied access to just because they can.  Over several years the system will balance out.  If you take of the bandage slowly, you will direct all mass pressure on a few areas each year.  Imagine if each best buy had their black Friday sale on a different day. 

I can tell you that there is good hunting to be had on romp and stomps.  On mine in particular, the first 9 days are quota.  That is not so critical as the best deer hunting is at the end of the season when the necks get thick.  You have to put in a little work and find the spots.  Over the years new people will be able to go give it a try on the fly instead of having to plan 4 plus months in advance. Once the initial surge is done I believe that the pressure will not be near what some can imagine. 
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant MelbournePosts: 140 Deckhand
    Looking at the amount of land that is available to hunters in Florida and comparing it to the number of hunting licenses I think it would be a good thing.  I also think they should keep a few smaller special opportunity hunts for people to get a chance at a really good hunt and to generate some extra revenue.  I also think they should reduce the legal limit of deer, really who needs five deer....you can't claim food because store bought chicken is cheaper.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,243 Officer
    I know what hunting free is - could walk days without hitting asphalt or seeing anyone.  That was years ago tho'.

We have a lot of hunters, and a lot of folks seem to want the limited other hunters in the area they hunt.  Then we have landowners who allow limited access for a few folks.

If it went free-for-all for all, we would lose the private landowners who provide access - they don't want a bunch of folks running around continually.  The romp n stomp areas would see a decrease in hunter density, the WMAs would see an increase.

I also don't see the deer as redistributing themselves - when areas flood, deer often drown cause they don't leave the flooded areas.  So, using that thought, with an increase in hunting, some areas would experience a decrease in deer numbers.  They don't migrate, they adjust within home areas.

How would it all play out?  Absolutely no idea.  

The better hunting areas would no doubt get overrun with hunters, lesser areas would be ignored by all but local hunters.  the local guys would definitely like being able to hunt more, and close to home.

I like the idea of limited entry permits - my idea of a good hunt is not having to deal with googans and having a hunt-able number of deer.  Should everyone have to hunt like that?  No.  The state should provide more romp n stomp areas and allow those guys the opportunity to hunt as they want.  
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 584 Officer
    So... when a lease says the members can't live within 2-3 hours of the property that is to reduce pressure right? I know I am barking up the wrong tree but there are lots or reasons this won't work like you think it would, and it's only a pipe dream. Two many different land owners, no way to control the pressure, not enough leos to monitor it all. It helps them to have limited places open on limited days. I could go on but I am sure I'll get trashed for not agreeing.
    Maybe they will open it all up and reduce all the hunting days, be careful what you ask for.
  • mobenmoben Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Let me take you back to the seventys. My buddies and I pulled up to the road into Bull Creek two days before the gun opener. There were t8 cars in front of us with tents pitched on the side of the road.. By Friday night the line had at least 150 cars in it. At 5 am a guy with a hand counter let 100 people through the gate. Thetstayed in line till somebody came out. That's  how it used to be before Quota s were established
    moben said:
    Let me take you back to the seventys. My buddies and I pulled up to the road into Bull Creek two days before the gun opener. There were t8 cars in front of us with tents pitched on the side of the road.. By Friday night the line had at least 150 cars in it. At 5 am a guy with a hand counter let 100 people through the gate. Thetstayed in line till somebody came out. That's  how it used to be before Quota s were established
    That sounds awful, I would hunt out of state!
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,553 Admiral
    Get rid of a fwcc and bring back a GFC,manage the lands and not the hunters
    ....you can't claim food because store bought chicken is cheaper.
    Cheaper may not matter to someone who wants to eat nothing but deer meat. I did it for a whole year back about 4 years ago. Nearly all of my red meat was venison not counting meat I ate at restaurants. It took about 5 deer to get me thru the year. I lost 80lbs. 

Anyhow, what I eat is my choice and I don’t want someone telling me I can’t live off deer if I want to. 

But that’s a topic for another thread. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 185 Deckhand
    the main problem i have with the quota system is the FACT that 60% of the quota days don,t get hunted,,,saturday 95%   sunday 70% till 1 pm    after that below 50%      mon tue wed less than 25%         drives me crazy that someone gets a 3 or  5 day permit hunts 1 day and then next 4 days are wasted,   and i bet alot of the 1 or 2 day hunters are the one,s who cried the most to get permits non transferable    system sucks now       oh and by the way i have seen awesome wma,s under the quota system go straight to the crapper      ok slough, spirit of the wild, additions land,and dinner island not far behind, i have hunted those areas since day they opened and have watched all go downhill    with the exception of jw corbett i can,t think of one wma thats got better hunting now than it did 25 yrs ago.   so yes open them all up .  30 day archery   20 day muzzleloader  15 day general gun     hickory hammock here i come.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,553 Admiral
    Meateater for the win w regards to the mentioned WMA's in his post..they have all gone to hell under FWCC management
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,108 Captain
    meateater said:
    the main problem i have with the quota system is the FACT that 60% of the quota days don,t get hunted,,,saturday 95%   sunday 70% till 1 pm    after that below 50%      mon tue wed less than 25%         drives me crazy that someone gets a 3 or  5 day permit hunts 1 day and then next 4 days are wasted,   and i bet alot of the 1 or 2 day hunters are the one,s who cried the most to get permits non transferable    system sucks now       oh and by the way i have seen awesome wma,s under the quota system go straight to the crapper      ok slough, spirit of the wild, additions land,and dinner island not far behind, i have hunted those areas since day they opened and have watched all go downhill    with the exception of jw corbett i can,t think of one wma thats got better hunting now than it did 25 yrs ago.   so yes open them all up .  30 day archery   20 day muzzleloader  15 day general gun     hickory hammock here i come.
    Agreed.
    Oh, and, I've never been a fan of quotas. The system we have now and the direction we are trending sucks to be quite frank. 
    ....you can't claim food because store bought chicken is cheaper.
    Cheaper may not matter to someone who wants to eat nothing but deer meat. I did it for a whole year back about 4 years ago. Nearly all of my red meat was venison not counting meat I ate at restaurants. It took about 5 deer to get me thru the year. I lost 80lbs. 

Anyhow, what I eat is my choice and I don’t want someone telling me I can’t live off deer if I want to. 

But that’s a topic for another thread. 
    Be careful with wild red meat consumption!  It is low in fat but really high in cholesterol (the stuff that stops your heart).  Just an FYI.
    Must be the reason for my high cholesterol
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,857 AG
    I would be fine with it all open except special op hunts...but it will have to have the same restrictions as up north states...Long archery but woefully short gun...and tags. Many states give 1 doe and 1 buck...some will let you buy an extra doe......

And....Hard tag...like CITES...If you move the animal with it not affixed....arrest on the spot...forfeiture of weapon...Gigantic fine..... maybe mandatory jail time.  No wrist slapping. 

If you can get poaching under control....the rest will be fine...  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    edited July 2 #25
    Big Mak said:
    95mG of Cholesterol in 3 oz of deer meat
    77mG of Cholesterol in 3 oz of beef
    72mG of Cholesterol in 3 oz of chicken
    55mG of Cholesterol in 3.5 oz of Wild Boar!!!

It's not about the fat when it comes to meat, it's the cholesterol boys!
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 302 Deckhand
    All the prestige parks won’t be good after the first year or two. 
    Everyone will be hitting them
    hard cause they know 
    Its the good kind of cholesterol though. 
    I'm eating about 5 deer per year. I'm probably screwed. Are ducks any better?
    edited July 2 #29
    Ducks are better (with the skin off) about 65 mG per 3 ounces.

Remember 200-300 mG of cholesterol is the daily recommended amount according to WebMD.  8 ounces of deer is about 250 mG!

Seems ridiculous until your blocked up, then it's not funny anymore.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,890 Admiral
    Don't need no short GG, dogs are just getting into shape at the end of the season now.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ajrickettsajricketts Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Big Mak said:
    95mG of Cholesterol in 3 oz of deer meat
    77mG of Cholesterol in 3 oz of beef
    72mG of Cholesterol in 3 oz of chicken
    55mG of Cholesterol in 3.5 oz of Wild Boar!!!

It's not about the fat when it comes to meat, it's the cholesterol boys!
    If I remember correctly, most recent studies are saying that dietary cholesterol has little to do with blood cholesterol. That's why eggs have made such a comeback (+/- 187mG in one (1) large egg.