Wonder if anyone has seen the Boston Whaler 270 Dauntless and the Rabalo 246 Cayman.

postermanposterman Posts: 78 Greenhorn
edited July 3 in Boating #1
Looks like a nice boat and has some great features and can run inshore and offshore. Also there is the Robalo 246 Cayman that
will do inshore and offshore.

Replies

• hlangbhlangb Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I have a 27 dauntless since 6/16.  Great boat.  I have it in Key West.   You are exactly correct, good for skinny water and can go offshore.  Does much better offshore then I expected.There is no perfect boat that will do everything, but this is close.  I have a single 350.    I would consider 400 or 450
    Mad Max
  • postermanposterman Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Nice looking 27 Dauntless. I like the idea of plenty of baitwells on the Robalo 246 cayman. The sunshade on the Dauntless are real nice to have in the hot summer. I made one for the bow area on my 23ft Cat I use to own.
    I sold my Cat a year ago and trying to make my mind up what Im going to buy next. Im moving to Saint James City area just south of Boca Grande and plenty of places to explore around there. I use to take 17ft trihull and run around there. I will be on the water this time with the boat behind the house so I will use it much more. I never took my Cat there.
    This is my 3rd whaler.  Great boats. Hold their value.
    mad Max
  • Divin'IvanDivin'Ivan Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    edited August 27 #5
    I took delivery of my new 270 Dauntless in February of this year and already have 100 hrs on it. Boat handles much better offshore than I had anticipated, surprisingly dry ride also. I didn't plan on it but got caught in 4-6 footers with occasional 7s and boat did great, day started out flat calm so I went out 25 miles. Mine has the twin 225 Supercharged Verados, and WOT is 54mph, I cruise at 35-40 mph and average around 2 mpg. Mine has the live well and sink in the leaning post, but I wish Whaler had made better use of the leaning post with some tackle storage instead of the Yeti cooler. Other than that it is a very nice fishing platform. I looked at the Cayman as well but the transom design meant you can't put trim tabs without getting on the way of the ladder. One great feature of the Dauntless is that fold down swim platform, the Dauntless has an enormous amount of storage for larger items but not much for small items like wallets and cellphone, will need to add netting or a glove box for that.

Agree about the glove box.  I use a pelican dry box. I am ordering a tackle box to fit where the yeti was.  Put my yeti behind anchor locker.  Attach a line to the bottom of the pull out dive ladder, attach a small float to line, attach line to cleat.  Make much easier to pull and store dive ladder.  I also adder 4 rod holders to bar on top of seats.
    Mad Max
  • Divin'IvanDivin'Ivan Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I was thinking the same exact thing regarding the tackle box where the Yeti goes. I have the rear shade so can't really put rod holders behind the backrest, I'm going to see if I can draw out a box to put inside the hard top above my head, something like 24" wide x 5" tall x 10" deep. just something to put wallets, phones and keys, the trick will be to get the right angle for the lid. I like the idea for the ladder, I don't use it much because I have the dive door.