Home General Paddle Craft

Question about trolling from kayak

badharley99badharley99 Parkland FLPosts: 1 Greenhorn
I am new to the forum and have a question about trolling from my kayak.  I have a tandem Hobie outfitter.  

I am mainly going to be fishing in the upper keys on the bayside (Key Largo).  Just trying to get some advice on what type of bait to use (live and artificial) rigging, and how to set the spread up and any other advice you all would have.

Thank you

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,987 AG
    look up kayakerinkeywest   he has his own website, youtube page, and he kills it down there off a yak.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • krashkrash Posts: 682 Officer
    Upper Keys, in Florida Bay it's generally 3 to 10 feet deep and mostly hard bottom with some grass... mostly going to find some Trout maybe, and an assortment of Snapper.. and small Cuda's... if you insist on trollling use a sub-surface lure or spoons and troll slowly.

I'd suggest looking for grassy spots, or mangrove shorelines, drifting and casting bucktail jigs, paddle tails, and perhaps Mirrodines.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    I am new to the forum and have a question about trolling from my kayak.  I have a tandem Hobie outfitter.  

I am mainly going to be fishing in the upper keys on the bayside (Key Largo).  Just trying to get some advice on what type of bait to use (live and artificial) rigging, and how to set the spread up and any other advice you all would have.

Thank you
    Use common sense and be safe but if the weather and tides are not too bad, paddling with a diving plug behind the yak around the bridges could nab you a tarpon or snook or somehting cool
    we need more internet money
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Welcome to the forum badharley99!
    For whatever its worth, here's my experience trolling from my Hobies up here in Broward county off the beach and into deep water: 
    - Trolling two lures can get tricky if you're circling an area, so just stick to one lure to avoid tangles. Trolling two live baits? I never do because once you stop moving, they might swim together and tangle lines. 
    - Be aware of the diving depth of the lure, snagging sea fans, corals, and seaweed sucks when you're in the shallows.
    - If you have rod holders in front of you, like the Outback does, its better to use those than the two behind you because you will be able to see if something takes a swipe at the lure (so if you miss, open bail and let it drop back a bit).
    - If you keep the rods in the rear rod holders, keep the drag light, better safe than sorry if you snag something.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • pond725pond725 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I only troll with one rod, two lines get tangled up on the turn. i'll troll using a popping cork with a voodoo shrimp. or I have a bigger rod with a popping cork and a circle hook using ladyfish for tarpon. I had a rod fly out of the rod holder once with a shark on, thank god I had a cork as the cork popped up later and got the rod back.
  • krashkrash Posts: 682 Officer
    pond725 said:
    I only troll with one rod, two lines get tangled up on the turn. i'll troll using a popping cork with a voodoo shrimp. or I have a bigger rod with a popping cork and a circle hook using ladyfish for tarpon. I had a rod fly out of the rod holder once with a shark on, thank god I had a cork as the cork popped up later and got the rod back.
    Rod Leash...

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 116 Deckhand
    I've followed a lot of KWKF's vids and used his ideas as a model for much of what I do when in the Lower keys....I've seen him (on vids and in person) troll with a jig/4" paddletail. I've done it a too. Didn't take long to get my first bft that way.... It's nice to troll one rod and have another rigged as a pitch bait.

Jig weight,distance back,speed and current all are factors in trolling depth but one nice thing is the clear water means fish can see the bait from a long way down. You don't need to put it on their nose....I also took my upper Midwest river jigging experience to the channel/patch reefs and drifted/jigged a 1/2oz jig/paddletail with surprisingly good luck for a mixed bag.

KWKF's got a bunch of vids where trolling is at least done a bit. My impression is he motors out to roughly 100' ,flips the motor up,pitches a jig back and leisurely pedals the yak out to one wreck and vertical jigs,. Then pedals/trolls around a while waiting for charters and rec guys to head in. In late afternoon/early evening with little boat traffic the schools of BFT/etc rise closer to the surface....That's been my experience too...But if you see anything going on while crossing Hawk's channel or the reef,stop and pitch a jig. I've been high-tailin' it to a wreck (plan A) only to spend my morning chasing bait schools,catching macks and YTs. (NEW plan A. lol)