Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak PFDs

Getting ready to purchase a PFD to kayak with. Any recommendation?

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    My 2 cents: This is the hot time of year, so inflatables are great because they are lightweight. For other times of year, traditional foam PDFs with their abundance of pockets can be super useful. Try to think about your gear, your fishing style/environment and see what works best for you.

In the end, the best PFD is the one you actually wear, so make sure you actually wear it and not just stash it in the forward hatch lol
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,952 Captain
    edited June 2019 #3
    Ditto  ^ ^ ^ ^ ^   I prefer the manual inflatables as the auto inflatables can go off if one is hit by a big wave.  Plus,there are times when I have flipped, and choose not to inflate the lifevest as it would have impeded my ability to swim.  Others like the auto inflatables because if for some reason one gets knocked out( hit by a boat?)  the vest will inflate without assistance.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 736 Officer
    Because of hot weather I went with a mesh back and shoulders
     Still have lots of pockets for leader etc
    Of course now the granddaughter had the kayak
  • Reel ShockerReel Shocker Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Another question. Getting a Wahoo 12.5 33” wide sit on top. I’m 6’1”. What size paddle would anyone recommend. 
  • pond725pond725 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I use a mustang hydrostatic life vest. I always wear it, accidents happen...
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    You'll probably end up with several of them, like the rest of us, depending on the weather and what you're doing.  I have 4.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 248 Deckhand
    If you plan to get back up on your yak after falling out make sure you practice getting back up.  An inflated PFD makes it close to impossible to to climb back up.